Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows & Multiple Drive letter confusion  (Read 3065 times)

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
Windows & Multiple Drive letter confusion
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:18:05 pm »

My photo projects are archived over multiple hard drives with I access using a variety of multiple and single-bay drive enclosures. The 4-bay box is set up as JABOD, which is usually filled with older drives I may have to go back to.  It is not turned on unless I need it.  Each drive is named by date, which Lightroom seems to be ok with.  But if I put in a drive, and the windows drive letter changes because it is now installed in a different order, the Lightroom catalog cannot find all the folders in the drive, there is a question mark in the whole list.  Is there a quick way in Lightroom to update the windows drive letter?  I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help,  John

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Windows & Multiple Drive letter confusion
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:24:12 pm »

The normal way of finding lost folders is to right click on a folder and I believe there's an option to relocate the file. Click on that and browse to the new drive/folder - LR should find all adjacent folders automatically.

There could and should be a way to elegantly find files based on volume name, as drive letters of extrenal drives change easily, but above should work as a work-around.

As I'm doing this from memory, and as always, backup your catalog before trying ;)

howardm

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:29:30 pm »

I'm not a Windows guy but there is a way to lock the drive letter to the specific drive.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:30:56 pm »

You could also change the drive letter at OS level using Windows Disk Management. You just have to make sure to do this before starting any application that may access the drive you'll be changing.

Run or search for diskmgmt.msc
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:34:45 pm by FranciscoDisilvestro »

leuallen

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 11:12:18 pm »

I just noticed that on Win7 64 my removable hard drive keeps the same letter as I changed it to using computer management. Normally the drive would be E. I changed it to G using computer management. Now every time I mount the drive it is G. Very nice.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up