Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji x100 metering issues  (Read 8940 times)

David S

Fuji x100 metering issues
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:46:56 pm »

Finally went and bought the Fuji X100 and it is exactly what I hoped it would be.

But I am having some issues with exposure and I don't know if I am missing something or if my particular camera has a problem.

Manual exposures seem within half a stop of correct.

Automatic exposures can be correct or more than a stop out.

These results occurred with spot metering on as well as multi point meter settings.

When I left the auto ISO on, auto kept going to IOS 1600 or higher when it wasn't necessary - so I made sure auto ISO was off.

Today I had some brief time to compare auto exposures with manual and they are within half a stop so the odd results must be something I set or left on at default.

1) Any test suggestions
2) Any idea about settings to avoid.

Thanks,

Dave S

adanac

Re: Fuji x100 metering issues
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:59:09 am »

What format are you shooting for David? Raw or JPEG? Are you by chance using the Dynamic Range feature (auto or hard set) or is that set to 100%? If shooting Raw and using DR other than 100%, try setting DR to 100% and repeat your evaluation.

It'd be worth a peek into x100forum.com for some discussion on this and exposure in general.

Myself I have a love hate relationship with Auto ISO. In general I like to keep ISO low, but find I'm using the camera for so many purposes now that I didn't expect that not using Auto ISO actually is more of a problem than noise and noise is decently low certainly compared to my other digital cameras.

For that reason by default I use Auto ISO with a relatively high shutter speed so I'm ready for those hard to predict moments I'd like to grab without or with a minimum of camera or motion blur and if I need to be or can afford to be more contemplative I can always shut it off then.

David S

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:33:35 pm »

Initially I was using RAW+Jpeg but have started using only RAW.
I did have DR set to 200% and now 100%.

Yesterday I had some time to enjoy the sunshine and get out using fixed ISO and manual exposures were almost all spot on. (Using Spot metering mode) The Auto mode (Fixed aperture) was well within expected 8 of 10 times. I didn't try setting the Shutter speed and using auto f stop.

I will go to the form.

Thanks,

Dave S

David S

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:43:29 pm »

Follow-up.

Seems my camera is suffering the so-called sticky shutter issue. (I think this is the correct name)

Exposures at f2 @ 1000 do not equal f4 @ 250 do not equal f8 @ 60 and so on but show over-exposure as the aperture "sticks" at f2 apparently.

Seems this is a known issue where the aperture blades stick resulting in over-exposure which is what I was seeing. Exchanging the camera on Friday so will get a new camera and hopefully not have this problem.

Dave S

adanac

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 12:45:18 pm »

David,

I feared that might have been your problem; mine too suffered from the sticky aperture blade issue. It was very quickly and professionally serviced by Fujifilm Canada - shipped from Vancouver on a Monday, returned to me by Friday that same week - both ways and repairs of course on Fujifilm's dime. The "fix" involves replacing the entire lens assembly.

So far I'm unaware of any repaired cameras having a confirmed report of recurrence of the problem, so it seems that the fault is truly a manufacturing defect that Fujifilm has since rectified. Some users report hearing from Fujifilm that they are aware of the problem affecting known batches - I'm not so certain about that myself as the serial numbers reported don't seem to paint a pattern, at least not yet.

Cameras affected appear to start to fail fairly early on - 300 - 600 exposures or a few more. Early failure can be intermittent but as the exposure count goes up, failure become regular. When intermittent a new user may shrug off the problem as user-error, which may also explain why it takes a while before people contact Fujifilm or their dealer for assistance.

In my city alone I'm aware of a few users who have experienced the issue. Certainly Fujifilm Canada is well aware of the problem and to their credit they handle the warranty service very professionally indeed. U.S. users also report good service; there have been some reports in the U.K. of occasional service hassles and Australia was caught short of parts at one point. Fujifilm worldwide needs to continue to address this issue professionally and in a similar manner across the globe or they will lose the terrific head of steam they have on the X series platform.

Myself, I've just sold mine. I already miss having the camera but decided that I love the form factor so much, and dislike the DSLR form factor so much, that I'm going to invest in the Sony NEX 7, some E-mount glass, and, perhaps, adapt some of my existing Zeiss glass if appropriate adaptors for Contax/Yashica mount are available, assuming that doesn't make the NEX 7 stupidly bulky.

David S

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »

Just received my new camera - store exchanged my not-working one for a newly arrived one so no trip to fuji repair. Interestingly the firmware is 1.11 and not 1.10. Will test it over the next few days to make sure all is OK.

Dave S
Pages: [1]   Go Up