Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: B&W Master print article  (Read 7124 times)

craigwashburn

Re: B&W Master print article
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 07:17:32 pm »

It appears to me that this is a uni-directional method, i.e., there is no history available if you need to save and restart. If you've not kept an un-modified layer to restart from, all you've got to work with is your partially modified image. There is no way to back out the sharpening, but you can add blur. There is no way to back out lightening or darkening other than to darken or lighten the current image.

It's not clear that this is a problem, but it is a concern.

Alan

The technique also isn't easily repeatable from one image to the next, if for some reason you changed your mind and selected a different (though similar) image in the set.  Or, as happens in my situation, the art director or editor does.  Being able to copy over adjustment layers and simply adjust the masks is a great time saver.

But these are personal technique tastes, the individual artist who answers to no-one else may like the relative simplicity of painting with the history brush, though I've never found it all that intuitive - remembering what blending mode does what for example. 

He's right on about edges though.  I've been working on a technique where I use the glowing edges filter to make a grayscale mask that I can use for all sorts of purposes.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »

Agreed, the suggestion to blur and step back from the monitor is going to be immensely helpful to me.

I just take off my glasses.   ;D
Eric Chan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:37 pm »

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

leuallen

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 11:21:28 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that when viewing a scene to squint. This effectively blurs the scene. I do this to see how the masses of light and dark relate to each other in the composition.

I also have noticed that when I view relatively small thumbnails in the grid mode in LR that I can pick out the images that have good composition easily.

Larry

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 10:03:10 pm »

This thread is much of a replay of one some time ago. I have not had time to analyse his software but gromit appears on the right track. The logic is quite clever . What is produced is not an increase of contrast but a redistribution of luminosity It is oftern of value to attach the curves or levels layer to the top duplicate mask layer.  The technique can be used with colour but saturation can vary across the tonal range so a saturation protection layer should be placed above the mask layer. The technique greatly improves many images but is detrimental or non-effective to others. It is one of many approaches and may form part of a sequential strategy to be considered when edition images for perceptual qualities. The paper Bob and others have referred to , published in Leonardo Journal (MIT Press)- , is related not to this but to directed differential acuity. Applications of both are outcomes of the psycho physiological approach to printmaking that George de Wolfe uses  which he derives from Minor White and others. The theoretical base was studied at RIT by Richard Zakia , Lesley Stroebel and others. Going back further one should refer to E.H Gombrich's "Art and Illusion"' 1959, derived from the 1956 A.W.Mellon Lectures in The Fine Arts. I would have to say that this can be deep stuff. It is not easy for those with  a Cartesian approach to photography and printmaking. It can also produce terrrible results if one is not on top of it.
I would suggest that seeing the differences these edits make is a learned skill and is not possible on a computer screen or even from a book. I recall seeing original Ansel Adams and Paul Caponigro prints with and without the framing glass. The difference was astonishing. The difference was presence, and that is what George de Wolfe is talking about.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 01:16:53 am »

I'm having a look at the new version of the Percept tool . There is a bit more to it than the light redistribution mask so my previous comment is tentative. I will say that there are approaches to correct camera response to that of the eye /brain combination. They are not all readily available in Photoshop. Some readers might not understand all George is saying , but his principles are correct. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up