Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oregon Waterfalls and Oregon Coast  (Read 6104 times)

jdemott

Oregon Waterfalls and Oregon Coast
« on: March 27, 2005, 12:21:08 am »

Hello Ken,

You don't say how long you will be visiting Oregon, but here are a few thoughts.  Driving north along the coast, it would be difficult to avoid finding great photo opportunities.  There are lots of great rocky headlands and seastacks in a number of areas.  Of course, there is a great element of luck in being in a particular place with the right combination of light and weather, so the longer you have to spend along the coast the better.  Make sure you spend some time looking at tidal pools up close with various forms of sea life.  There are several lighthouses along the coast--a quick Google search will give you a lot of info.  Newport and Astoria (and a couple other places) have a lot of interesting old wharves, fish processing factories, etc.  Astoria probably has the most history of anywhere along the coast.

For waterfalls, of course, the place to go is the Columbia River Gorge.  There is lots of info available online.  If you just have a short time available, you can see a number of waterfalls in a day or so without walking more than a couple hundred yards from your car.  If you really want to experience the Columbia Gorge, you need to hike. There are many books of hiking trails available online and in stores in Oregon.  

April will likely have changeable weather.  Temperatures should be moderate.  Dramatic clouds, rainbows, etc. are possible but you also have to be prepared for showers and hail.
John DeMott

Bobtrips

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:25:10 pm »

And think about dropping a bit south of Crescent City.  

Fern Canyon is close by.  (Some of Jurassic Park was shot there.)  And there should be opportunities to get some shots of the Roosevelt elk.  (Elk lounging on the beach is a possibility.)

You'll also be near to the least visited national park - Redwood NP.  Excellent opportunity for shooting some really big trees and the magical light conditions they can create.

Bobtrips

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 12:55:45 pm »

If you decide to go to Fern Canyon it would be a good idea to pick up some waterproof boots as you have to wade the stream here and there as you travel through the canyon.

You should be able to find a pair of knee-high 'dairy' boots for $10 or so.  Hardwares and nurseries generally carry them.  

We call them "Humboldt sandals"....

michael g. o'callaghan

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:05:29 pm »

i travelled from Seaside Oregon down the coast to Big Sur 1 1/2 years ago.  i thought that the Oregon coast around  (and south of) Bandon, Oregon was the finest coastal scenery i saw.  my MOST favorite was the 12 mile stretch that comprises Samuel H. Boardman State Park (actually labelled a "scenic corridor").  it was very very nice!

kensmith99

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 08:51:34 pm »

I just got back from my trip.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I went to Lake Tahoe, Redwoods National Park, Samuel Boardman State Park, southern Oregon Coast, Silver Falls State Park, Oregon, and along the Columbia River Gorge.  If you'd like to see some of the pictures, go this site:
http://members.cox.net/ken1-mary-smith/PACNW.htm

Ken

kensmith99

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 08:32:05 pm »

I'm headed to Northern CA Coast (Crescent City) and Oregon in late April for sightseeing and photography.  I want to take pictures of waterfalls and along the coast.  I've done some research and have ideas, but would like other opinions.  Thanks.

Ken

Graham Welland

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 05:42:54 am »

If you want to do some research for locations take a peek at Photographing Oregon by Bryan Petersen or The Photographers Guide to the Oregon Coast by Middleton & Barbee. The Peteresen book is quite a small cheap book and you may need to order it.

If the weather's fine it's a beautiful part of the world. If it's bad, it's pretty dreary ...
Graham

kensmith99

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 12:35:44 pm »

And think about dropping a bit south of Crescent City.  

Fern Canyon is close by.  (Some of Jurassic Park was shot there.)  And there should be opportunities to get some shots of the Roosevelt elk.  (Elk lounging on the beach is a possibility.)

You'll also be near to the least visited national park - Redwood NP.  Excellent opportunity for shooting some really big trees and the magical light conditions they can create.
Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I hadn't thought about Fern Canyon, but will do some research on it.  I definitely want to shoot the lighthouse in Crescent City plus Redwood NP sounds good.  

I'll probably have 4 days in Oregon all together.  Lots to pack in.  

Ken

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 05:52:46 pm »

If you decide to go to Fern Canyon it would be a good idea to pick up some waterproof boots as you have to wade the stream here and there as you travel through the canyon.

You should be able to find a pair of knee-high 'dairy' boots for $10 or so.  Hardwares and nurseries generally carry them.  

We call them "Humboldt sandals"....

I was in Fern Canyon a few weeks ago (consider this a second vote for it  :) ), and was OK with good thick-soled hiking boots if I picked my path carefully when stream-crossing; I could find crossings no more than an inch or inch-and-a-half deep.  It will depend on how much rain there's been lately, though (there had been a moderate amount the week before I was there).   The sea bluffs in that area are pretty scenic, too.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Hokuto

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 01:23:07 pm »

I'm headed to Northern CA Coast (Crescent City) and Oregon in late April for sightseeing and photography.  I want to take pictures of waterfalls and along the coast.
If you drive up the Columbia River gorge, stop and hike up Oneonta Gorge and send us some photographs of the falls in the back. I used to go swimming in summer there (late '60s), but there's supposed to be a log tangle in the stream along the way now. It's a magical place. Trust me.

kensmith99

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 08:07:43 pm »

Thanks Mike and Hokuto.  I'm definitely going to Oneonta Gorge area and Eagle Creek trail.  Time permitting, I will head up the southern OR coast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up