Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Germany Neuchwanstein when is best for fall colors  (Read 13113 times)

sanfairyanne

Germany Neuchwanstein when is best for fall colors
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:40:36 pm »

I've a few weeks before work and want to shoot Neuchwanstein Castle in Germany. Has anyone any idea if I am already too late for fall colors. Also the castle at Lichtenstein is close does anyone know which turns first. Or perhaps someone can put me onto a website that will help.

Many thanks

sanfairyanne

Re: Germany Neuchwanstein when is best for fall colors
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »

I did a bunch more research and came up with some info' myself Neuchwanstein is slightly higher so in theory would turn quicker for fall leaves. Below is a link to the main website with a webcam. It's night time in Bavaria as I write this so I'll have to wait till the morning. Pretty excited to get out there as it's only a 30 euro flight from the UK.

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 02:31:17 am »

I live about 100 km a little north of due west of Neuschwanstein.  A few trees here are just now beginning to show a hint of color change.  Last year, the colors were really good the around the 2nd and 3rd week of October.  Here is a shot taken from our kitchen window a few minutes ago.  

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:33:03 am by Bryan Conner »

dreed

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10:46 pm »

I was at Neuchwanstein today (I'll upload a pic or two later)...

Expect the colours to peek during the next week or so, if they do turn properly.

Overnight, last night, there was snow down as low as Fussen. The problem here is that cold weather will burn the leaves (they'll turn brown, not yellow/orange/red.)

If you are looking to get a photo of the front of the castle with the hills behind then you at least need to be an expert bush walker and/or mountaineer...

The way up to the places that deliver that view are not easily reached - I broke two walking poles today attempting to do so. In many places, I was on all fours trying to ascend or descend and the walking poles were a burden. Going for the occasional slide on one's ass was required. There are no paths to follow, no signs or markings to show you the way. You must discover it for yourself. I cannot recommend anyone trying to do it now that the ground is wet and slippery (in some places I was walking through snow.) If you think that you're capable, do it in summer (July?), just to get to know it when the ground isn't slippery and come back for the autumn shot. Difficulty out of 10 - 9.

There is a trail from Marienbruch to Tegelberg, but that will not get you *that shot*. Even then to get an unobstructed view of the front of the castle requires leaving the trail and entering dangerous ground. If you're afraid of heights or not steady on your feet, forget it.

I'll summarise - do not go to Neuchwanstein and think that you can get the "fall colours" shot of the castle with the front of it and the hills behind if you've never shot that angle before.

dreed

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:27:50 am »

The attached shot is from walking up the Tegelberg Trail from the Marienbruch bridge on Saturday - probably a good solid 30 minutes from the bridge before you're close to that location.

As you can see, a little bit of colour but also a bit of brown. How will it be this coming weekend? Who knows.

dreed

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 05:16:05 pm »

I was there yesterday and a tree here or there has turned to yellow already, so expect more in the coming weeks.

Probably the easiest shot of the front of the castle is to park in the Tegelberg parking lot and then take a stroll from there. There are various vantage points of the front of the castle but not the classic shot with Alpsee in the background.

The side on look is from Marianbrucke. From the 'town' below you can buy a ride to the castle and from there it is a relatively easy walk to the bridge. Just expect to share it with many other tourists and that shooting hand held with IS enabled is much preferred to using a tripod (that will get in everyone's way and shake every time someone takes a step.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up