Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good mounting solution for an exibition to be shipped around?  (Read 811 times)

bongobongo

Good mounting solution for an exibition to be shipped around?
« on: September 24, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »

Hi

I have an idea for an exhibition - media stunt.
If it goes well then I believe it will be interesting for display in several countries.

I'm not going to reveal what it will be about here, but I could need some suggestions when it
comes to mounting.

I have seen some images printed on aluminium.
This was frameless and had only a wooden frame on the back side (hidden) to make it sturdy and this wooden frame is also used to fasten in on the wall.

I'm thinking of a similar look.... frameless, and image filling the whole area (no frame, nothing).

But the downside of aluminium, is that it is quite heavy.

So is there any other material I could use which could replace aluminium, and that is lighter and makes it easy
to mount the image so it fill the whole area.
A wooden (hidden) frame to make it sturdy as well as getting som space from the wall is just a bonus.

If it could be easy to detatch the wooden frame on the back of the mount, in order to make it
easier, and possibly cheaper to ship it, then that would be great to.

The mounted images in the exhibition is not to be sold.

Print size will be from A2 to A1.

This is idealistic work, so if cost could be kept down, that is a good thing.

Any suggestions?

One other thing:
It is going to be an exhibition which combines:
- Images only
- Images with text in a white area at the bottom
- Text only (mounted the same way as images)
- Video
- Sound

Is there anybody here who knows about a place on www where exhibition styles are discussed and displayed?
For getting ideas...

Robcat

Re: Good mounting solution for an exibition to be shipped around?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:53 am »

What you're describing in aluminum is called a floating mount (the image looks like it is floating out from the wall). Aluminum in the sizes you mention is really not that heavy but I do float mounts on masonite, which is slightly lighter. I print on paper, which is then bonded to the substrate and sprayed with a protective lacquer coat. I love the look and it would also work for the text, etc. you wish to display. You could even match the size and dimensions of the images with the video screens you're planning to use.
In regards to the wooden frames, these add 2 cm thickness to each image but I would not try to make them removable. You're just buying a lot more work with each installation and risk instability not to mention possible damage to the image from excess handling.
Rob P

Alistair

Alistair
Pages: [1]   Go Up