Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ180 Vs. 8X10 film article  (Read 82430 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: IQ180 Vs. 8X10 film article
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 03:18:07 am »

Hi,

I have no doubt that 8x10" film can "outperform" any digital back today under ideal conditions. But ideal conditions may be hard to achieve. Alpa and other companies try very hard to build cameras that help achieve ideal conditions on MFDBs.

There are only two ways to compare two imaging systems. Either test them under well defined lab conditions or shot the exactly same scenario at the same time with both equipments. The second way is much more error prone.

In the current test it seems at least to me that correct focus has not been achieved on 8x10" at some stage of the image pipeline. The author confirms that the film does not contain more detail. Quite possible that more detail could be extracted by sharpening a higher resolution scan. We don't know until it had been tried.

In smaller formats image quality is really going downhill when stopping down beyond f/16. At f/22 something like 75% of the resolution is lost. One mm movement of the focusing plane would cause a defocus disc of 31 microns. I don't know about film flatness, lens alignment, film to groundglass alignment and so on in 8x10" cameras but all those points need to be zeroed out for ideal results, all the time, because you cannot zoom in the film to actual pixels to check focus in the field.

Diffraction is law of physics so if the effects of diffraction cannot be observed it essentially indicates that the system is lacking resolution to begin with.

This series shows the effects of diffraction, unfortunately only from f/4 - f/16. The tests were done using studio flash and the flash had a 5 step range.

Left column is lens aberration and diffraction. Moving to right we have increasing amount of defocus. Topright image is sharp according to normal DoF scales. This test was done using an APS-C camera, but diffraction would be the same whatever system would be used.

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/49-dof-in-digital-pictures?start=1

Best regards
Erik

Dominique,

Yes, that's what I am saying, nothing more, but nothing less either.

Far from me the thoughts that such a 8x10" (with perfect focus, flatness of the film, alignment of the standards, critical f-stop, etc ...) enlargement is not up to the task, in the contrary, it is another world as compared to even 4x5".

As for digital, yes, I have seen such enlargements, taken with 2, 3 or 4 stitched 33 MP sensor files, with digital HR lenses, which didn't have more "softness" at close inspection, in the contrary.

What I am trying to say, without any "racism" or "animosity" against film (or 8x10" in this instance) is what Bryan said so well in his post:

"... the “legendary” status of 8x10 as the image quality champion is just that – a legend" (see the arguments given by Bryan in his post).

Thierry

Erik Kaffehr

design_freak

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 04:52:06 am »

Dominique,

Yes, that's what I am saying, nothing more, but nothing less either.

Far from me the thoughts that such a 8x10" (with perfect focus, flatness of the film, alignment of the standards, critical f-stop, etc ...) enlargement is not up to the task, in the contrary, it is another world as compared to even 4x5".

As for digital, yes, I have seen such enlargements, taken with 2, 3 or 4 stitched 33 MP sensor files, with digital HR lenses, which didn't have more "softness" at close inspection, in the contrary.

What I am trying to say, without any "racism" or "animosity" against film (or 8x10" in this instance) is what Bryan said so well in his post:

"... the “legendary” status of 8x10 as the image quality champion is just that – a legend" (see the arguments given by Bryan in his post).

Thierry

+1
Without a doubt this is true. 8x10 its quality is a legend. Of course, everyone respects that takes pictures 8x10. I do it for pleasure. When it comes to quality, I think that this word is quite capacious. For an artist, other factors also determine the quality of his mind. (Grain, depth of field - something that can not be no substitute) For a commercial photographer, are the other factors - the image smoothness and sharpness. In this regard, 8x10 has long ago been in the back and should be reconciled.
Best regards,
DF

macz5024

• http://www.markuszuber.com
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 07:15:50 am »

Hi

It is not surprising to me that there are a lot of comments and emotions coming upon this article.

First of all it was not my goal to see which system does a better job! Both systems have their qualities and there has been a lot written here which I would not like to add once again. However I have a problem if I hear that digital should be used for commercial jobs only and analogue for personal/art work. The reason for art should not be how it was made but how it looks and what it tells you.

In our workshops I quite often get the feeling that people do not know how to manage their digital files because they have too many possibilities. Interestingly the image is already there - in the contrary to a scan from a negative - but this seems to be more embarrassing for "seeing" the final image in your mind as if everything is still open.

As we all know, people tend to get over sharpen and over saturate digital images - possibly because they can get a crispness now they did not have with film. However the contrary is possible: you can get the same smoothness as you have had with film when working on digital files - but he process is delicate. I am sure you agree that it is easier to loose detail than getting details out of nothing...

If you prepare and print your own images, you have a huge amount of possibilities. If you print your images on uncoated or self coated rag paper there is a lot of smoothness you can bring in. Or try printing with carbon pigment inks on glossy or rag paper - and you will get stunning results if the files are good. However out of the box digital has a clean look - and black and white is even more difficult.

I do not want to enter in these topics much deeper but just want to mention that we will rescan the negatives and see if there is more to be seen within them - and the results will be made public again.

I reply to this post because there are some issues/open questions I would like to make clear. Anyhow: first I wanted to publish an article on my experience with IQ180 but Michael asked me to include a comparison with 8x10"...

Focussing:
I have stopped using AF with wide angles and long tele lenses since it is never as precise as using live view. This is probably due to the fact that you never really know where the focus spot is for the DF camera - or you might want to choose a different one in the foreground. It does not work - as I have experienced tilting down the camera, use AF lock and swing up again for your shot - don't ask my why but for me it does not work. With the 55 mm AF is ok at distances between 3 and 10 m. If you have an image as we took for the comparison or even with a horizon at infinity you can be quite sure that the objects far away will not be in focus. This has been confirmed by a colleague of mine using the 55 mm on the DF camera with the IQ180 in the Swiss alps.

Focussing a tele lens for me is easier because you have less elements in your image. Look through a DF's finder with a 28 or 40 mm and you think that everything is sharp. Click on the AF button and the camera does something. You will see if the image is sharp when you check the image thereafter. I have tried using a 3x magnifier by Brightscreen but it did not help with wideangles. It helps with the 250 mm SA however.

On the Alpa I have shimmed it to infinity for the 28 mm - and use live view now for all lenses since even the new screen is too coarse for checking sharpness precise enough.

As for checking focus on the IQ screen of course you are at pixel level with 100 % - however it is the same as focussing in the viewfinder: less elements in a 110 mm shot with clearer details (e.g. details within leaves).

Sharpness does - unfortunately - not only have to do with focussing only. It also has to do with vibration. And this is a huge handycap with the DF camera. The shutter allows me to use the 250 mm lens at shutter speeds of 1/200 and shorter. Others have seen the same with the 300 mm Mamiya lens or even with the 150 mm Phase/Mamiya lens. Even the 55 mm leafshutter lens suffers vibration at longer exposure time (1/30 and longer). No need to say that I am using mirror up with a delay of 4 secs!

This all becomes visible with higher resolution. There was a big jump from the P45 to the P65+ - and now again to the IQ180.

The reason for using f16 on the 55 mm and the 110 lens was to get the same visible (!) depth of field as we had with f32 on film. We are not talking about numbers here. I did all shots with f-stops from f5.6 to f22 - and chose the "right" ones on my computer. There is of course more absolute sharpness in f8 or f11 - with the 55 mm f14 sometimes is still quite good - bit this f-stop does not exist on the Schneider lens.

As for film resolution: if you would use a technical film with a high resolution lens - there could be quite a lot more information than what we see here - but this is hypothetical for field use. And I am talking about the field/everyday use!

As for the dynamic range, colors and noise - exposure to the right - I am talking about the correct exposure when compared to a DSLR. Good DSLRs RAW files (whatever that is ;)) taken with a CMOS are IMHO easier to handle when underexposed. Or to say it in other words: I see more troubles opening shadows and recovering colors with the IQ180 or the P65+ than with a 5D Mk II.

However at ISO35 with good exposure the dynamic range of a IQ180 is huge and the noise is virtually not existing. I apply no noise reduction at all in Capture One. Quite often, mainly with fog, it makes sense using the "linear response" since "film gradation" closes shadows too much.

So another 5 cents from me - I am glad if at least some of you appreciate my article ;)

Markus

I have not yet read any of the previous posts as I was busy writing this post. Apologies if some have already addressed the points I make here.

This is a commentary on the recent article by Markus Zuber, published on Luminous Landscape. If you haven’t read it yet : http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/iq180_vs_8x10.shtml

Marks statement “ Knowing well that the AF does not really serve well at least with the 55” has me wondering if his generalization means I’ve missed out on some commonly known wisdom. I happen to own the 55, 80 and 110 Schneiders and they focus spot-on in AF. I have a few friends who have no focus problems with their 55’s in AF mode.

A word of caution about diffraction. MF tech cam lenses of recent design are optimised for use at much larger apertures than conventional wisdom suggests. This is compounded by pixel-level diffraction increasing as pixel sizes get smaller. My 23HR digaron for example, is noticeably softer at f16 than at f8 on my IQ180. The difference was not as obvious on my P65+ which has slightly larger pixels. However, this lens is so good, I am happy shooting at f5.6, provided I can focus accurately.

“The film could easily reveal more details, if they would be projected to it’s surface”.

“Film could easily reveal more details”.

“As we have seen with all Phase One backs, it is very important to get as much to the right as possible (I assume Markus means on the histogram). Underexposed images suffer from noise and bad colours”.

I fail to understand how the screen in the IQ displays an image from a 110mm lens any differently from a 28mm. It’s displaying the same proportion of both images at whatever percentage of magnification you’ve chosen.  It’s value as a focus checking device seems to me to be identical whatever lens I attach.

A big thank you to Markus for taking the time not only to run these tests, but also for taking the time to document and share it with us all.

With respect,

TH_Alpa

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 07:43:16 am »

Thanks Markus for your time doing this and the related article.

Thierry

Hi

It is not surprising to me that there are a lot of comments and emotions coming upon this article.

Markus

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 07:57:40 am »

+1

Erik
Thanks Markus for your time doing this and the related article.

Thierry

Erik Kaffehr

MrSmith

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2011, 08:12:44 am »

as somebody who regularly shot with 10x8 there is only one test i need to do.
load sheet of 10x8 as fast as possible > shoot picture > remove sheet of 10x8 film and place in front of computer screen > ask client if he likes the shot?
is client happy?
yes:  keep shooting on your superfast portable 10x8 camera.
No: use a DB/dslr and keep happy clients.

these theoretical/mathmatical comparisons are only useful for measurebators not photographers. if you are unsure of the suitability of a piece of kit you don't ask a scientist/mathematician or the person who sells or makes the equipment you ask somebody who makes a living from using it.

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2011, 10:31:17 am »

First of all it was not my goal to see which system does a better job!

I thought this was the premise of your article - "But until last week I was always asking myself where the quality level would be if compared to a drum scanned 8x10 inch film..".  That sounds an aweful lot like a system comparison.

I do not want to enter in these topics much deeper but just want to mention that we will rescan the negatives and see if there is more to be seen within them - and the results will be made public again.

That isn't going to fix any focusing issues.  You state that you chose f/stops to match apparent DOF, but unless your focus point was really far away (you don't state in your test) it's not possible that DOF was similar.  Maybe you saw it that way, but it wasn't.

Personally, I have no emotional ties to film.  I'd prefer to shoot digital if I could get the same prints at a similar/reasonable cost, but for now I shoot 4x5 for landscape because it's cheap, although if I could justify the cost I may still wait a bit for the technology (live view etc) to mature another generation or two. However, I do have an emotional response to bad tests. 

I'm a product manager by profession, a lot of what I do involves testing multiple iterations of products and measuring outcomes to inform product decisions.  If something is measurable, you always measure it, and you run your tests multiple times before drawing conclusions.  Granted, there's usually millions of dollars behind these products so the possible costs of a bad test are much higher then some grumblings on a forum.  However, there's more to it then just that.

You're publishing on a site that receives a lot of traffic and is likely a source of "pro" level information for a lot of readers, many who may just be getting into this hobby.  Do you think the level of testing provided is really reflective of what you want to show to someone that may be considering shooting either of these systems?  What if the result of your test is a decrease in new entrants to large format photography, simply because they viewed a flawed test on this site? 

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 11:15:57 am »

as somebody who regularly shot with 10x8 there is only one test i need to do.
load sheet of 10x8 as fast as possible > shoot picture > remove sheet of 10x8 film and place in front of computer screen > ask client if he likes the shot?
is client happy?
yes:  keep shooting on your superfast portable 10x8 camera.
No: use a DB/dslr and keep happy clients.

these theoretical/mathmatical comparisons are only useful for measurebators not photographers. if you are unsure of the suitability of a piece of kit you don't ask a scientist/mathematician or the person who sells or makes the equipment you ask somebody who makes a living from using it.
Do you charge the same for film or digital? Regards Theodoros www.fotometria.gr

Fine_Art

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2011, 11:01:27 pm »

I picked an old slide that shows the fine lines of mortar between brick. I don't mind loading this one on the net.
This has had noise ninja applied. It has not been sharpened with a deconvolution. the full frame cropped shot is 1000 pixels across from 35mm The closeup of the bricks with 2 heads moving by, shows detail and proves it wasn't another shot with a longer lens. Its clear its a very small section of the 35 millimeters.

Feel free to run you own sharpening or whatever on it. I think this, along with the independent samples provided by another member on page 2, show a fine film should be  scanned at over 4000 pixels per inch equivalent. That puts an 8x10 at over 300 megapixels.

Of course digital is much easier to work with. Like the article author, I would easily prefer to use an 80MP back over 8x10. Let's just represent film as a perfectly useable, cheaper method of getting very large shots.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:16 pm »

Hi,

I absolutely agree that film is a very economical way of achiving large images, especially if the equipment is already at hand. I guess that assembling an 8x10" equipment from scratch is not exactly cheap either.

Digital has on the other hand taken prices to new levels.

One point I would make is that all scans I have seen from film are quite soft. This applies to your samples and also to mine and all others. That may be good, it's simply oversampling. But transitions in a slide scanned with high resolution never go over a single pair of pixels.

The enclosed images are taken from a 67 Ektar 100 exposure scanned at 3200 PPI, and significantly sharpened. In my view its pretty similar at the pixel level to your scans. The image is at actual pixels, the original image is about 8100 pixels heigh. The other image is shot with a fullframe 135 DSLR with 24.6MP. The DSLR image was uprezzed to the same size as the scanned image. Funny enough the actual crops are pretty close to the file sizes in the 8x10 test.

One area I'm confused about is the absolute lack of resolution in the red flower on the Ektar image. I had a very similar scan of Velvia [img http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/stories/bild%2044.png /img]
I presume that this may be caused by chromatic aberration in the lens Pentax 67 90/2.8 at f/8 (Velvia shot) f/11 (Ektar shot) or may be characteristic of film.

Best regards
Erik

I picked an old slide that shows the fine lines of mortar between brick. I don't mind loading this one on the net.
This has had noise ninja applied. It has not been sharpened with a deconvolution. the full frame cropped shot is 1000 pixels across from 35mm The closeup of the bricks with 2 heads moving by, shows detail and proves it wasn't another shot with a longer lens. Its clear its a very small section of the 35 millimeters.

Feel free to run you own sharpening or whatever on it. I think this, along with the independent samples provided by another member on page 2, show a fine film should be  scanned at over 4000 pixels per inch equivalent. That puts an 8x10 at over 300 megapixels.

Of course digital is much easier to work with. Like the article author, I would easily prefer to use an 80MP back over 8x10. Let's just represent film as a perfectly useable, cheaper method of getting very large shots.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:59:44 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Fine_Art

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 12:38:27 am »

Hi Eric,

The red flower problem is from the scanning, not the film. Lets say you have a Dmax 3.8 scanner. It's DR is beyond slides which is why you went to negatives for the more compressed, extended DR. Makes sense. The problem for the scanner is that over 20 stops DR or whatever your negatives are, is way too much for the scanner. Minor differences in tone which would be easily spread out on slides are hard for it to tell apart. The whole flower shows up as a handful of tones. A proper film for matching scanner capability would be between existing slide and negatives.

You can deconvolve film softness quite well. I didn't do it in the samples because I'm on a new computer and I'm waiting for a new version of my software to arrive via mail. The old pc is unstable so i am not using it until i put in a new power supply.

Of course you are right that digital capture pixels look crisper. Its the nature of the pixel blocks. Film looks more organic, more lifelike somehow. Digital can look clinical.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 01:28:48 am »

Hi,

Thanks for advice, but I don't think that solves the problem. But I'm going to try to check out the Ektar image by other means.

I have seen the same problem on Velvia and on Ektar, also I looked at the Velvia scan with 15X loupe and also with microphotography of the slide. I have not checked the negative film to the same extent, but I'm quite confident that at least the Velvia lacks the details in the actual image. In the Ektar scans I exposed to avoid clipping and had full histogram.

I have done pretty serious work on the Velvia tests, trying to verify everything by other means:  http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/16-pentax67velvia-vs-sony-alpha-900

The Ektar tests are intended as a complement to the above tests.

Hi Eric,

The red flower problem is from the scanning, not the film. Lets say you have a Dmax 3.8 scanner. It's DR is beyond slides which is why you went to negatives for the more compressed, extended DR. Makes sense. The problem for the scanner is that over 20 stops DR or whatever your negatives are, is way too much for the scanner. Minor differences in tone which would be easily spread out on slides are hard for it to tell apart. The whole flower shows up as a handful of tones. A proper film for matching scanner capability would be between existing slide and negatives.

You can deconvolve film softness quite well. I didn't do it in the samples because I'm on a new computer and I'm waiting for a new version of my software to arrive via mail. The old pc is unstable so i am not using it until i put in a new power supply.

Of course you are right that digital capture pixels look crisper. Its the nature of the pixel blocks. Film looks more organic, more lifelike somehow. Digital can look clinical.

Erik Kaffehr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 04:36:47 am »

Hi Eric,

The red flower problem is from the scanning, not the film. Lets say you have a Dmax 3.8 scanner. It's DR is beyond slides which is why you went to negatives for the more compressed, extended DR. Makes sense. The problem for the scanner is that over 20 stops DR or whatever your negatives are, is way too much for the scanner.

I beg to differ on that. The dynamic range that the scannner has to cover is the density range of the film, not the scene that's caught on film. It is true that the scene tonality is much more compressed on negative film than on slide film, due to the inherent contrast differences.

Without seeing the histogram of the Raw scan data (before gamma adjustment), it is not possible to draw conclusions about clipped (flower) colors. It can also be caused by a mismatched color profile. I use Vuescan to drive my scanners, and it allows to optimize the per channel exposure, which is especially beneficial for color negative film which requires an exact compensation for the mask.

Film looks more organic, more lifelike somehow.

I've never seen a sky or other smooth surfaces with graininess in real life when I look at them though...

Digital can look clinical.

But it doesn't have to. One can use a tonecurve with a roll-off at the highlights, and even add grain.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2011, 06:10:12 am »

I think this, along with the independent samples provided by another member on page 2, show a fine film should be  scanned at over 4000 pixels per inch equivalent. That puts an 8x10 at over 300 megapixels.

I disagree. The information per-pixel is very low. If you had scanned at half the samples per inch, you would not have lost any real image information. In fact it's still slightly soft, and equivalent to 'only' 75 megapixels now.

Compare with a test shot I took using the 80MP Leaf Aptus II 12.

Full frame:

100% crop:

julienlanoo

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2011, 09:25:51 am »

hehe, so besides the scanning question, ( may scan that on a drum or imacon, ).. and besides the size quesiton and workflow of making the imge..

I would have wanted to see the face of the guy who just payed the price of a house, for two 8X10 inch useless   10 mpx digibacks..  :p :p when he reads that article :) :p :p ... yeah yeah i made this to make pola's and then shoot on 8X10 :p hehe yeah right, may be test an IQ first :p :p hehe

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »

hehe, so besides the scanning question, ( may scan that on a drum or imacon, ).. and besides the size quesiton and workflow of making the imge..

I would have wanted to see the face of the guy who just payed the price of a house, for two 8X10 inch useless   10 mpx digibacks..  :p :p when he reads that article :) :p :p ... yeah yeah i made this to make pola's and then shoot on 8X10 :p hehe yeah right, may be test an IQ first :p :p hehe

Useless? You seem to be missing the point of polaroids; IQ is not high up on the list of desired features.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2011, 12:52:10 pm »

Hi Eric,

+++1. Just to add that with some scanners the scanning is done on a raw file, the export however, is done using the scanners software Raw to ...whatever convertion. IMO, its best not to try and process the image while on the raw file, but export the file with as much processing latitude as possible as a TIFF and create the final image on PS using a fully calibrated monitor. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
 P.S. A scanner's D-max is its most important factor, scanners with less than 4.5 D-max should not be considered reliable for any serious comparison with digital. OTOH no serious scanning can be considered at less than 4000dpi and 8x multiscan!

DeeJay

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 01:56:16 pm »

Digital please. Anyday.

I used to shoot 5x4 and 10x8. I've been shooting with a P65+ for a while now and although I haven't done a side by side comparison, years of shooting 5x4 and 10x8 have given me enough of a personal understanding that the P65+ is at least on par and really I believe better. The very reason why I haven't done a side by side comparison is I could tell in the first instance how much better it was.

I don't miss it in the slightest, even the nostalgia has passed. Only thing I miss is playing around in the darkroom, there was a certain magic in that which i really do miss. Oh and Polaroid - purely for the aesthetic, colour and contrast.

The quality, the mobility, the ease of use, the work flow, it's not even in the same ball park. Quality aside, which is easily better, I don't miss those days of heading to the lab, all the waiting about, the expense of production, laborious capture, missing the moment, getting bad bad scans despite the ridiculous cost, processing the scans ie spotting dust. No thanks, you can keep it.

Also for the simple fact that I have my own procedures with digital and that means I have my own look unique to me. I can shoot tethered, I can move about internationally with some small bag, the speed of turn around. The final nail in the coffin is I can do with digital what ever I like. If I want polaroid-esque colours and contrast then I can do it. If I want stark realism then I can do it. Please, there's no comparison on any level.

If people (and their assistants) want to lug around that old gear and take pictures which are inferior (somehow this is arguable apparently) or lets just agree to disagree and say comparable then i really commend them. For what I'm not sure. But I think it's great if you are happy using what ever you use that makes you happy. If it's your process and it makes you take better pictures than keep on keeping on. It's your hobby and passion then definitely keep it up. If you just prefer the look of it then great, definitely keep it up. But personally I'm glad I'm shooting with the gear I am and there's no way I'd ever go back unless I want to dust off my olde Petzvals.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:08:04 pm by DeeJay »

Fine_Art

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2011, 04:27:30 pm »

I think we all have a better understanding of pros and cons of each system form this discussion, I know I do from some of these contributions.

Great site!

Fine_Art

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 04:52:18 pm »

I've never seen a sky or other smooth surfaces with graininess in real life when I look at them though...

But it doesn't have to. One can use a tonecurve with a roll-off at the highlights, and even add grain.

Cheers,
Bart

Agree.

I didn't mean when pixel-peeping, I meant when looking at the whole image.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up