Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Architectural Exterior Twilights  (Read 1213 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Architectural Exterior Twilights
« on: September 22, 2011, 01:10:43 am »

When printing these kinds photos, it seems that the tungsten lit interiors come out much more orange than I have processed them to look on my calibrated monitor. No problem with color of other kinds of images in print versus the monitor. Happens whether it is inkjet, offset or digital prints. I do my own inkjet prints with an Epson 3800 and profiles that seem dependable for all other kinds of images. Can anyone explain this to me? I try reducing orange saturation, but that doesn't seem to help enough. I have a hard time actually processing these images so these colors look greenish on the monitor, but maybe that is what I will have to do? Working color space is either Lightroom or Prophoto in Photoshop. Monitor is a 3 year old iMac, calibrated with i1 Display2.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:24:38 am by David Eichler »

Peter Stacey

Re: Architectural Exterior Twilights
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:25:31 am »

In leading towards a couple of questions, here's an article from Eric Chan that might be helpful:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/gamuts.html

First question, which brand and model of screen?

Secondly, in your other images do you often have areas of saturated yellows to oranges that are typical of tungsten lights at twilight?

If you read Eric's article, the final conclusion at the bottom maybe the most pointed statement for what you are experiencing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:34:36 am by Peter Stacey »
[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Re: Architectural Exterior Twilights
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »

I am aware of the concept of color gamut differences between color spaces, although my eyes are not yet highly attuned to actual differences in terms of the actual results. I seem my stuff printed in magazines and brochures, so I have some frame of reference from that. It has been a while since I have done any serious inkjet printing, but things seem quite different now than in the past, when I was using the same hardware, inks, profiles and papers. I should expand my original comment to say that this seems to effect all reddish and orangeish tones, resulting in more saturation and perhaps a shift more towards red in the printed result, compared with the monitor view. To clarify further, I have been working with source images that have the Prophoto profile, with a Lightroom or Photoshop Prophoto working space. I just tried converting an image to an sRGB profile and printing that to compare. A slight dulling of the colors with the sRGB image is the only difference I can see.

Papers I have been using for comparisons are Epson Ultrapremium Presentation Matte and Red River Polar Matte, which I find to be very similar papers, with an Epson 3800 and the manufacturer's stock profiles for each paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up