Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Locked threads  (Read 12079 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Locked threads
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »

Baloney, Jack. Often the snide remarks go right to the target. They're an integral part of heated exchanges. You, of all people, ought to know that.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 05:56:34 pm »

Baloney, Jack.

No Baloney Russ: it's the truth.

Often the snide remarks go right to the target. They're an integral part of heated exchanges. You, of all people, ought to know that.

Won't deny that Russ, and we agree here; but often snide remarks serve no purpose at all.

We both agree that snide remarks with merit can be interesting and can thereby enhance a discussion ... whereas snide remarks without merit are nothing but detractors of a discussion.

I am sure we can agree on that.

Jack

dmerger

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 06:32:46 pm »

Personally, I think it would be great if the originator of the thread also could delete individual comments that he doesn't like on his thread... .

Jack

Just to be clear, Jack, do you mean that the originator of a thread should be free to delete any post that the originator chooses?   So, for example, if I were to start a thread where I say that X is the best product ever, I should be able to delete any post that disagrees?   If not, but only some posts that meet some criteria, then who decides what meets that criteria, me?  As you can see, I’m skeptical that allowing originators of threads to have such editorial power would be good or workable.
Dean Erger

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:37 pm »

... it really is possible for a person to directly answer a question, with all sincerity, without a offering single snide or disparaging remark ...

You know... I've been trying it all my life... with little success ;D

JohnKoerner

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 07:21:41 pm »

Just to be clear, Jack, do you mean that the originator of a thread should be free to delete any post that the originator chooses?   So, for example, if I were to start a thread where I say that X is the best product ever, I should be able to delete any post that disagrees?   If not, but only some posts that meet some criteria, then who decides what meets that criteria, me?  As you can see, I’m skeptical that allowing originators of threads to have such editorial power would be good or workable.

First of all, you're confounding the deletion of hazing posts with the suppression of free thinking.

Yet even still, to directly answer your question, sure, if you originated a thread on some product and were afraid of hearing dissenting opinions--and wanted to hide these legitimate opinons of others--then by all means you should be able to delete that person from your own thread (same as you could say, "Buzz off!" to a person in real life who intruded upon your private conversation).

Of course, a consequence of that kind of action would be that others in the forum would see you as weak and unable to bear such honest opinions. Further, the people whom you deleted could make a decision to initiate their own threads, where more free thinking was allowed, and as this dissenting thread grew in its own right the neutral bystander could then make up his own mind as to whose reasoning and thinking he wanted to go with.

So, in the end, yes, I believe anyone should have the right to choose the parties he converses with ... and I also think most of us here could distinguish between deleting a wiseacre from a thread and deleting an honest, but different, opinion.

Jack

JohnKoerner

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 07:22:17 pm »

You know... I've been trying it all my life... with little success ;D

Ray

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 07:55:25 pm »

We both agree that snide remarks with merit can be interesting and can thereby enhance a discussion ... whereas snide remarks without merit are nothing but detractors of a discussion.

I am sure we can agree on that.

Jack

The problem is, Jack, who should decide whether or not a snide remark has merit?  Should the person who starts a thread be allowed to impose his/her own biases and prejudices in a manner which might prevent the discussion leading on to something that others might find useful, revealing or interesting?

For example, supposing the original poster owned a small business selling Canon cameras, and the particular thread was leading in the direction of snide remarks about low-noise performance of Canon DSLRs in general, then it might make good sense for the original poster to lock the thread.

However, the oringal poster always has the option of ceasing to contribute to the thread or even cease viewing it. Shouldn't that be sufficient?

JohnKoerner

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 08:34:07 pm »

The problem is, Jack, who should decide whether or not a snide remark has merit?

As previously mentioned, the original poster :D

Should the person who starts a thread be allowed to impose his/her own biases and prejudices in a manner which might prevent the discussion leading on to something that others might find useful, revealing or interesting?

Yes. After all, don't moderators essentially do the same thing Ray, namely close threads that others might find interesting?

There is no perfect world, but (of all people) I would imagine that the original poster has the most right to guide his thread the way he sees fit. And, if not him, then the moderator. Either way, the arbitrariness is the same.

Again, if a particular individual repeately proves to be too controlling of his discussions, then he will quickly lose his audience. By contrast, the more open-minded and sincere he a person is, and the more openly he entertains different views, the more respect he will gain. As previously mentioned, the consequence of unreasonable censorship by anyone is distrust of his viewers, so each OP would have to use his censorship power with that in mind.

But again, "censorship" is not the same thing as giving wise-asses the boot ;D

Finally, even if the power of censorship gets misused on occasion, I don't think anyone will suffer too much if "an interesting thread" gets locked

For example, supposing the original poster owned a small business selling Canon cameras, and the particular thread was leading in the direction of snide remarks about low-noise performance of Canon DSLRs in general, then it might make good sense for the original poster to lock the thread.

I disagree. I think it would make good sense for the store owner to honestly concede the weaknesses of his product, while standing firm on its strengths. Evasion will never help anyone in the long run, IMO, whereas honestly admitting flaws ... while just as honestly standing firm on strengths ... breeds trust.

The truth is, how a person handled this kind of power and control would go a long way into showing people "who" that person really is, deep down ;)

However, the oringal poster always has the option of ceasing to contribute to the thread or even cease viewing it. Shouldn't that be sufficient?

In some cases, that is sufficient. For example, I have asked for help on threads, gotten it, thanked people for it, and then watched the threads take a life of their own ... and walked away and never looked back. On other threads, however, it would have been nice to just "delete" a few assholes from them

Jack

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:36:24 pm by John Koerner »

dmerger

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 09:39:13 pm »

First of all, you're confounding the deletion of hazing posts with the suppression of free thinking.

Jack

Jack, your original statement was "Personally, I think it would be great if the originator of the thread also could delete individual comments that he doesn't like on his thread... ." (emphasis added)  Neither you nor I said anything about "hazing or "suppression of free thinking".  You seem to be attributing to me subjects that I never mentioned and you did not mention when you first set forth your proposition.  Therefore, it seems that your accusing me of confounding hazing and suppression is out of line.

Nevertheless, I think understand your position.  I happen to disagree. 

Dean Erger

stamper

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 04:39:31 am »

Quote John.

Correction: wankers like you wouldn't be on my threads Wink

Quote John

What is being suggested is that it really is possible for a person to directly answer a question, with all sincerity, without a offering single snide or disparaging remark ..

Unquote John

Perhaps you could try and practice what you preach? Now where is that button for deleting posters? :P

JohnKoerner

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 06:37:14 am »

Quote John.
xxxxxxxxxxx
Quote John
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx..
Unquote John

Don't you think it's a bit daft to go through the trouble of typing-out "Quote John" xxx "Unquote John," when you could just use the quote feature and achieve the same thing instantly (and have it look better too)?

Perhaps you could try and practice what you preach? Now where is that button for deleting posters? :P

Two things: 1) Saying something "is possible" is not the same thing as saying "I always do this," and 2) my very response to you has proven you agree with my premise, where you originally rejected it.

The fact that you're now groping for the "delete" button ... on a thread you originated, first stating that threads should not be able to be locked by the original poster, then chastising me for suggesting individual posts be able to be removed ... essentially concedes my point.

So thank you for that, my work is done :P

Jack

stamper

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 07:57:29 am »

So thank you for that, my work is done Tongue

Jack

Jack...or is it John?  It seems you have a dual personality - or more than two - as well as the ability to dance on the head of a pin with clogs on. Judging from your last post you also seem smugly happy with your contributions to the thread, despite some obvious contradictions. :) Eric bemoaned the fact that there was no longer an ignore list available. If there was I am sure you would be at the top of everyone's list judging by the amount of members you have happily flamed. Have a nice day.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »

So thank you for that, my work is done Tongue
Jack

Still haven't figured out how to use the quote feature, eh Stamper?

But at least you dropped the added baggage of actually writing the quotes out

Jack...or is it John?

Legally, it's John, but I go by Jack. Is this confusing to you also?

If so, maybe it will help if I remind you that some people are named "Robert" on their birth certificates, but go by the name "Bob" in conversation.

Look up the word "nickname" and see if the concept sinks in after several re-reads ...

It seems you have a dual personality - or more than two - as well as the ability to dance on the head of a pin with clogs on. Judging from your last post you also seem smugly happy with your contributions to the thread, despite some obvious contradictions. :)

No contradictions, sir, just your inability to understand two separate concepts at once.

"All truth contains paradox."
~ M. Scott Peck, M.D.

Eric bemoaned the fact that there was no longer an ignore list available. If there was I am sure you would be at the top of everyone's list judging by the amount of members you have happily flamed.

I have always liked Eric and have always appreciated his kind comments on my posts, as well as his insightful (and often humorous) comments on other matters ;)

Have a nice day.

I've had a great day so far, thank you. I've taken 120 nature photos already this morning, including a 10-stack montage of a stunning sphinx moth I came across (the final image of which I hope to contribute later).

I am now enjoying a Samuel Adams' DoubleBock brew as I review and work with my images, after having a gorgeous walk in the woods with my girl, after a light rainfall.

Hope your day is going just as well

Jack

RSL

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 12:54:09 pm »

what was all that BS earlier about wanting to eliminate snide remarks?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 01:10:35 pm »

Forget snide, how about eliminating space and bandwidth-hogging remarks? ;D

JohnKoerner

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 01:42:43 pm »

"The common man can only argue one side of the coin; the educated man can argue both sides with equal aplomb."
~ Guess Who :D

Jack

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 01:48:23 pm »

I have always liked Eric and have always appreciated his kind comments on my posts, as well as his insightful (and often humorous) comments on other matters ;)

Me too!   :D

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 01:56:51 pm »

Right, Jack. Eric doesn't even know what a snide remark is.

jeremypayne

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »

+1 ... some people can get to the point ... and some people seem to have trouble being parsimonious with their words ...

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 06:43:36 pm »

Right, Jack. Eric doesn't even know what a snide remark is.
Well, Russ, I do now. I just looked it up in the "Urban Dictionary" and found this:

"Sneering, malicious, sly, critical, derisive remark
That snide remark does not become you in the least bit.
buy snide remark mugs & shirts
sneering malicious sly critical derisive."

'Nuff said.   ::)

Eric

P.S. Now if I can find a reference for "Off topic...
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up