Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens reviews - manual focus  (Read 1023 times)

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
Lens reviews - manual focus
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:49:53 pm »

I don't know if this is a question as much as a rant, but here goes..

A while ago I bought myself one of those Zeiss 85mm F1.4 for my nikon.     The main attraction of that lens over other lenses was that I wanted a manual focus lens, not auto focus.   Now this is just my situation and needs, your mileage may and will vary.    I was going to say I love the German glass I use for my 4x5, but of course these Zeiss lenses are all made in Japan.  ( That's almost as bad as having the Martin Luther King monument made in China....oh - wait.  :D   )

What gets me though is how many people in their reviews - sometimes magazines - sometimes just blogs or messages on a forum similar to this - put "manual focus" as a detriment or a negative, when for me it was the primary draw.       However in terms of full disclosure, none of my local dealers had the ap-s nikkor 85mm in F1.4, only F1.8, and the F1.4 was a "special order" and a lot more expensive than the Zeiss too.  Then the real weirdness was the Zeiss was in stock at one local dealer I often buy from anyhow.   Still I would of stuck with the Zeiss.

Before digital my main Nikons were the FM and FM2, and then my MF camera was a Mamiya C330 and  I also shoot 4x5, so to me manual focus  on a DSLR is simple and easy.     Sometimes too I find auto focus can get in the way.  Yes, you can turn it off - at least I can on the AF lenses I use - but for me, how my mind works, I find when I have a MF lens on to begin with, my mindset, the way I work, it's better for me.  Slowing down to focus manually makes me stop and think more about my shot.  Again, YMMV, and there are times and situations that auto-focus is just perfect, a real life saver.  But not always.

Also along those lines I have one of those Korean 8mm fisheye lenses that sell under a zillion different brand names all for around $300 ish.   For what it is and the price, I love it.   However - again I will often read a review or comment or blog and the fact that it is manual focus is usually listed as a negative or a "warning".      Have you ever tried NOT to focus an 8mm fisheye lens?  :)  Not saying it cannot be done, but it's pretty darned hard, and personally i haven't had  shot out of focus yet with that lens.

So my point or question is this:   First,  I guess my "issue" with listing manual focus as a "negative" in reviews anymore is are we all becoming too spoiled, to entitled, or what?   Secondly I sometimes I wonder out there on the internet if people who review or comment about these lenses actually ever use them. 

thanks much for the rant space, love reading this forum

joe

jonathanlung

Re: Lens reviews - manual focus
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:06:19 pm »

Hi Joe,

I shoot almost exclusively using manual focus and most of my lenses are used AI(-s) Nikon lenses. I don't seek manual focus lenses because they are manual focus so much as I avoid the AF versions because of things that tend to come along with being AF: weight, price, size, and, most importantly to me, the "feel" of manual focusing (because oftentimes, manually focusing is just easier/more precise/faster). So are you drawn to MF lenses so much as you are repelled by AF ones?

I don't know about the AF-s version, but the 85mm f/1.4 AF-d has, IMHO, a pretty good MF ring (though probably not as good as the Zeiss). Too bad I can't say the same thing about the 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-s focus ring, which (surprisingly) more or less demands full-time manual focus on my APS-c camera, despite AF fine-tuning.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Lens reviews - manual focus
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 09:21:49 pm »

We use manual focus Zeiss lenses for aerial orthograhic imaging - in this application, manual focus is a huge advantage over autofocus - particularly vs. ultrasonic focus lenses, which can drift away from a focus point due to helicopter vibration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up