Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stretcher Bars  (Read 8080 times)

KenBabcock

Re: Stretcher Bars
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 08:01:02 pm »

I only ever used the matte too, Bob.  I never tried the satin because my thinking was why spend more money on satin when I coat it and can control the sheen on the canvas anyway.

I'm pretty much back at square one anyway.  I have to pick a new canvas shortly since I can't buy the Premium matte.  I'm currently testing several different canvases but will likely settle on Breathing Color.  I can get it fairly close to me (an hour away) for a decent price if I buy in bulk.  Plus they also sell Timeless for less than I currently pay for Eco Print Shield.  So perhaps when I settle on a new canvas and possibly a new coating I can start looking at selling the print and stretcher bars like Dan, to be assembled when received.  That sure would save on shipping from here for those extra large canvases.

davidh202

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 11:40:53 pm »

Ken,
This may be a moot point now that we cannot use Eco Print Shield on Epson canvas anymore, but according to the Premier Imaging instructions, the proper way to apply the EPS was to use two or three coats of gloss first (thinned no more than 20%) and then a final coat of matte or satin to give the final appearance desired.There may be some difference in the gloss that softens the canvas more to help eliminate cracking.
The site also says that if using non water resistant canvas, to spray with the standard Print Shield product first then use the EPS to do the additional coatings in the same order as before.
I am really P.O.'d that Epson has eliminated the old canvas but they must have their reasons.

I would rather not have to use the standard Print Shield , it kind of negates the advantages that the EPS offered.
David

RFPhotography

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 07:27:48 am »

I think the PCM is discontinued and has been replaced with Exhibition Canvas Matte.  Don't know if it's a different media or just a different name. 

I believe (not positive) that the Epson canvas was a rebranding of a Premier product.  Their stuff is good and reasonably priced.  Vistek carries it.  Several places in the States carry it.  I've used their Satin Museum and quite like it.

KenBabcock

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 09:20:36 am »

David,

I don't plan on using Exhibition.  If it isn't water resistant then I'm not touching it.  I heard that Epson switched canvas because the materials to make Premium were becoming hard to obtain.  Don't know how true that is, but I heard it from someone in the loop.  I'm not happy with these changes and think it might be time to permanently switch to Breathing Color and Timeless.

Bob,

The new Exhibition is a new name and a new media.  It has more elasticity for stretching, but can't be coated with a roller due not being water resistant.  They also increased the price of Exhibition significantly over Premium.  Premier did once make Epson's canvas and later Sihl made it.  I'm not sure if Sihl makes their Exhibition now though.

Sihl has their own canvas out similar to BC's Crystalline where no varnish is needed.  I have held a sample in my hands and it felt nice.  Reasonably priced too.  I believe it is just about to hit the market, so it might be something to watch for.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 03:08:46 pm »

I was on the phone with BC for quite some time getting information on what was best as far as stretcherbars.  Strecherbarswarehouse.com is what they recommended to me if I wasnt looking for large quantity.  One question I had was that if I bought long bars and cut them myself, how would I go about connecting them?  Do I actually need a pinning machine?  Do I just cut at 45 degree angles and connect them together?  Do I need to use any kind of notches to let them sit together?

RFPhotography

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 03:36:17 pm »

When I make my own or cut down pre-made, I use this clamp to hold it while the glue dries, http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=725

Works well.  It's a bit limited in terms of maximum size but it can handle a reasonable sized frame.  Pretty reasonably priced too.

Ken, yeah I hadn't even looked into it yet so wasn't sure.  If I can't get the PCM any longer, I'll likely just use the Premier Satin.  BC doesn't come in sheets and while I can cut my own (and have), if an edge gets slightly out of square it's a PITA. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:43:19 pm by BobFisher »

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59:03 pm »

Bob, I actually just ordered that as well this week.  What kind of glue?  Just regular wood glue?  Along with the glue, what else do I use to hold the corners together while I stretch it so it's sturdy?

RFPhotography

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »

Just regular white woodworker's glue.  Nothing else needed, at least not in my experience.  Strong fingers/thumbs.  I stretch all mine by hand and they're fine.  I work on a table with a dining table pad to protect the front side of the canvas.  No sags or ripples.  An electric staple gun is very useful though.  Just a regular one that takes 3/8" or 1/2" T50 staples.  Most guns will handle a variety of lengths.  If you wanted to go the traditional route you could try to find real brass tacks with a wide head and tack them but that's a lot of work.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 07:19:12 pm »

I've found ASW art supplies to have very reasonable prices on stretchers. Been using them for over a year. But sometimes they run out of stock. Their heavy duty stretchers come from China, so sometimes it takes quite a while for back orders to be filled.

Regarding stapling, don't even bother buying those electric staplers or hand staplers. You will end up following up with a hammer! Go straight to your local Harbour Freight and buy their pneumatic stapler for around $20. 20 gauge staples about $7/5k

I just staple my corners to hold them in place during stretching. (I do put 2 staples on each side if I've had to cut the corners for custom sizes) No reason to spend the time in clamping & gluing--canvas holds it all together.

RFPhotography

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 07:51:55 pm »

Regarding stapling, don't even bother buying those electric staplers or hand staplers. You will end up following up with a hammer!

Not a problem I've encountered with any frequency.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up