Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nex 7  (Read 9280 times)

Alistair

Re: Nex 7
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 07:24:21 pm »

This thread is degenerating into a discussion about Michael's technique and an apologia for a great lens not performing well on a camera for which it was not designed. Can't people just accept the facts as reported?

The thread is not 'degenerating'. Nobody is questioning the technique, we are seeking explanation of an obvious anomoly. Nobody, absolutely nobody, should ever accept 'facts' as reported in any media. The problem is most people do.
Alistair

michael

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 09:39:21 pm »

The test was likely flawed. I'll re-do it as soon as I can.

I've now said this everywhere online that I can.

End of story,

Michael

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 06:27:33 pm »

The 7 sounds interesting.

Now I have fundamental doubts about the possibility to really tap into the potential of 24MP in an APS sensor without a tripod. I am still also not sure about the value of having a very compact body with large lenses.

In other words, are either the A77 or more compact mirrorless cameras from other brands not better options considering the actual usage and expected shooting goals?

Cheers,
Bernard

Jeff Kott

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 07:02:04 pm »

Now I have fundamental doubts about the possibility to really tap into the potential of 24MP in an APS sensor without a tripod. I am still also not sure about the value of having a very compact body with large lenses.

In other words, are either the A77 or more compact mirrorless cameras from other brands not better options considering the actual usage and expected shooting goals?

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi Bernard, I've been thinking a lot about the NEX system and just bought the 5N with EVF and will probably get the NEX 7.

As far as the 24 megapixels in an APS-C sized sensor, I look at it the other way. In what situations would you be worse off using the higher MP sensor adjusting the image to the same size. Of course, we'll have to see how the NEX 7 sensor performs, but my suspicion is that it will be just as good as the 16 MP sensor and possibly better. I'm assuming most of us are not worried about the storage requirements of the larger files due to the huge drop in the cost of hard drives.

As far as using big lenses on the NEX, how about compact M mount lenses. If I compare my D300 plus ZF 35/2 and CV 75/2.5 SLI to my NEX 5 plus ZM 35/2.8 and CV 75/2.5 M mount, I've got a significantly smaller package with arguably better IQ with the NEX, not to mention much more accurate manual focusing.

Best,

Jeff

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:00 pm »

Hi Jeff,

Fair points indeed.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ray

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 07:38:38 pm »

Cheers,
Bernard

You shouldn't have doubts Bernard regarding a greater need of a tripod. The cropped format has never had a disadvantage regarding shutter speed, compared with a full frame of the same pixel count. In fact, it probably has an advantage.

The 1/FL rule still applies as long as the focal length is FF 35mm equivalent. In other words, if a 1/75th sec exposure with the D3X using a 75mm lens is sufficient to produce a sharp image, then a 1/75th with the Nex-7 using a 50mm lens will should produce the same degree of sharpness as it relates to camera movement.

Sharpness of lenses is another issue, and here the larger format can have a clear advantage at shallow DoFs that require the use of wide apertures.

For example, the sort of shallow DoF one would get using F4 on a 75mm lens with the D3X, would require using F2.5 with a 50mm lens on the Nex-7. In these circumstances, it's very likely that the 50mm lens at F2.5 will not be as sharp. Even if it were as sharp, the D3X would still have the advantage because its pixel spacing is wider.

However, at long DoFs, this sharpness advantage of the full frame camera tends to disappear. For example, most lenses would be sharper at F5.6 than at F9, and sharper at F10 than at F16.

As regards camera shake without use of a tripod, the cropped format has the advantage when one equalises DoF because the wider aperture at the same ISO allows for a faster shutter speed.

On the other hand, one can sometimes trade in the shutter-speed advantage of the cropped format to counteract the noise advantage of the larger format, by lowering ISO one stop, or more, on the cropped format.

Have I missed anything?

Jeff Kott

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 10:29:02 pm »

Have I missed anything?

The only thing I can think of is that with the APS-C sensor of the NEX you are shooting through the "center" of lens designed for full frame. Since with many lenses the softest part of the image frame is the extreme corners, many lenses will perform better (at least as far as corner sharpness) on APS sensors.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 11:18:45 pm »

Hi,

The impression I have is that the NEX-7 is a great imager to be used with existing lenses, if those lenses are of high enough quality and work well together with the sensor. To make use of any lens, accurate work is needed. Leica M-lenses are problematic, because they are not designed for digital. Leica fixes that, in part, with offset microlenses and lens offset correction in software. With lenses made for full frame the NEX-7 would work much better.

Best regards
Erik

The only thing I can think of is that with the APS-C sensor of the NEX you are shooting through the "center" of lens designed for full frame. Since with many lenses the softest part of the image frame is the extreme corners, many lenses will perform better (at least as far as corner sharpness) on APS sensors.
Erik Kaffehr

dng88

Re: Nex 7 (sound)
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 12:38:53 am »

One thing bug me so far from M8/9 and Nex is that the shutter sound is very loud, compared with M3. 

Is there any electronic shutter this one?  I was told that Ricoh (and some Pentax) is very quiet.  Is that true that it is still as loud as Nex3/5 and/or M8/9?

Jeff Kott

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 01:44:31 am »

One thing bug me so far from M8/9 and Nex is that the shutter sound is very loud, compared with M3. 

Is there any electronic shutter this one?  I was told that Ricoh (and some Pentax) is very quiet.  Is that true that it is still as loud as Nex3/5 and/or M8/9?

The shutter on my Pentax K5 is definitely more quiet than the one on my NEX 5N. If the amount of shutter noise is a major factor for you, you might want to try out a K5.

dng88

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 06:51:09 am »

Thanks.  i think it comes down to ricoh or Sony, as i am not sure i want to get a big slr.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 02:06:15 pm »

Here is another video that gives you a good idea of the size, and some features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YemKW-5zKc
Bob
 ht

dbateman

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 01:14:00 pm »

The Ricoh has an electronic shutter.  Also it M-module is corrected (correctly) for M lenses.  So it would be the best if you have a bunch of M lenses and what silent shooting.  How this would effect using Nikon lenses on the Ricoh, I don't know and I would like to see the test.  If you have a bunch of small Pentax or Nikon lenses, then the NEX or M4/3rds would be better to avoid the micro lens issue, but as far as I know no electronic shutter yet in the NEX or M4/3rds cameras.

Zerui

• Foto Zerui
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 05:09:38 am »

Changing the subject, but still commenting on your review:
In old Saxon (which bifurcated into Lombard and Anglo-Saxon) the word "thing" meant "present".
It was used as a verb, as in "I shall thing you my old camera when I get a Nex 7".
It later became used as a noun.
Thought you ought to know.....    John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up