Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF 6100 Opinions  (Read 4453 times)

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: IPF 6100 Opinions
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 11:22:19 am »

Is the the quality of the x300 series that much better than the x100 series? Is it worth the wait?
I think it's worth it. And it won't be long, I suppose.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:11 pm »

I have followed the progress of the Epson printers for a long time, and from reading the comments here and elsewhere, it appears that the new Epson's are still plagued with the same problems as my 1990's 660.
Determining that fact from the posts on this forum probably isn't providing you with a very accurate picture. I sell and service Epson printers, (I can sell Canon as well, but in 2 years I've never had anyone come in and ask me about them), and have experience with a large number of users of which none have ever complained about excessive cleaning with current Epsons.  We currently operate 2 11880's, a 7900, a 3880, and a 4900.  All but the 3880 use auto nozzle checks and clean, and about once a week one of them will trigger a clean.  The 3880 has had one clog is the 8 months we've had it running.  One 11880 is over 4 years old and has only required one of it's 3 maintenance tanks to be replaced, guessing it has cleaned less than 30 times in the 4 years.  The 4900 is now several months old, and has triggered a clean one time since I started using it.

Of course each user will see a different experience based on usage and humidity, but circumstances causing a current Epson to clean frequently will also lead to a head replacement on a Canon sooner as well - they aren't "better" at not clogging, they just have an nice system which makes it transparent to the user (which is certainly very nice).

Yes there are issues with some printers (I myself had one which had to be replaced from excessive cleaning) and part of the problem arises from a useful concept of auto nozzle detect/auto nozzle clean which makes clogs similarly transparent to the end user. In the beginning the printers were plagued with false nozzle clog triggering unnecessary cleans but I've found recent firmware changes have made it reliable in my case.

My point is to assume every epson printer out there has the problems of some of those that comment on this forum is quite misleading, as is basing on experiences with a 4000.  Satisfied users rarely post comments, and despite what many think Epson still outsells Canon in this type of printer by a substantial number.

This isn't to knock Canon, the new x300 series output is terrific, it has the advantage of instant MK to PK switching, and they technology does keep the clogged nozzles out of your face.  But to be honest, there is no way I have used several hundred dollars of ink keeping my 11880 running.  And if your customers are delighted with the 4000 output, the Canon x100 series certainly beats that.

ippolitois

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 07:33:28 pm »

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your insight into these printers. Let's say you're right and that the Epsons are getting a bad rap from guys like me who have "ancient" printers and are looking for a new one. Currently, I can get an Epson 4900 here in Canada for $1600.00. If I buy it, will I be assured that my head clogging days are behind me as you have said? Will my dream of turning on the printer and printing with the HDR colors wow me? Or, will I be plagued as some have written here about the problems with the x900 series printers. Or should I play it safe and get a Canon x100 or x300 series printer and know that I can turn it on and print as so many have said.

But, 3 times burned and now shy to believe what is true. Do you see my dilemma? I would love to get the 4900 and have an up to date printer but to fall into that pit once more, I'm not sure.

Hopefully, some 4900 users will pitch in and confirm the virtues of the x900 printers.

Paul

enduser

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 03:36:57 am »

As long time user of the 6100, my opinion is that if you didn't know there was a 6300, you'd be very impressed with the 6100's output.  But as always, if there's something more recent, we pine for it.   My canvas supplier is also a Canon agent and I've seen the 6300 output - it's very good, but I won't change to it until my 6100 is unserviceable.

If I had no printer, and both in front of me, I'd get the 6300.

Pete Berry

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 03:31:40 pm »

As long time user of the 6100, my opinion is that if you didn't know there was a 6300, you'd be very impressed with the 6100's output.  But as always, if there's something more recent, we pine for it.   My canvas supplier is also a Canon agent and I've seen the 6300 output - it's very good, but I won't change to it until my 6100 is unserviceable.

If I had no printer, and both in front of me, I'd get the 6300.

Likewise with my 5100 that arrived unexpectedly yesterday just two days after ordering, as compared to my tired old 5000, which I thought still had pretty good output after five and a half years.

Pete

Randy Carone

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 04:07:28 pm »

Well put Wayne. I agree with everything he said and, we too, are dealers of Epson and Canon. We move A LOT of Epson printers and we maintain close contact with all our printer customers, for obvious reasons. We advise our customers to call us first, before they call Epson with an issue, and we get VERY few calls and/or complaints from our Epson users. Great equipment.

@enduser - The 6300 has a 20% increase in color gamut from the 6100, according to Canon, which brings it close to the gamut of the Epson X900 series.
Randy Carone

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 02:26:42 am »

@enduser - The 6300 has a 20% increase in color gamut from the 6100, according to Canon, which brings it close to the gamut of the Epson X900 series.
It also has improved black inks and better screening/dithering which brings improved gradations in soft subtle tones ...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up