Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this the world's best tripod?  (Read 9791 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Is this the world's best tripod?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 03:27:15 pm »

I Rejected the RRS tripod because there is no Hook on the leveling base, a major oversight I have discussed this with RRS and it's been over a year and no Hook
disappointed, ended up with a Gitzo, video bowl, Burzynski head and a friend machined new handles and a hook for me.
Marc
BTW the Burzynski pans by loosening one knob a little and I mounted a RRS level on the top of the Burzynski base

I need to make an OOF shot of my tripod config just to make it three :P

marcmccalmont

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 04:20:52 pm »

I need to make an OOF shot of my tripod config just to make it three :P

the full size original is sharp maybe this is an artifact of the web site? :o
Marc McCalmont

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 07:43:18 pm »

All tripods are a compromise between weight, rigidity and price. RRS tripods are not available in Australia to try out before buying and it's hard to risk of a grand sight unseen. I upgraded from a Gitzo 2540 to a Gitzo 3541 last week and the new one is way better than the previous. I made this upgrade after shooting a new project over in WA with four colleagues (The South West Project) where we had poor weather. Many of my S2 shots were soft due to wind vibration although there were all perfectly focussed (the rumoured S2 focus issues are totally absent from my shots after 12 months shooting with it).

The Gitzo 3541 seems just fine and it's a lot more robust and rigid than the 2540. It's probably the best one for me given that I can't test the RRS one. However, if you want to get really keen on stability you need to go the route of my friend Les Walkling who uses an old Pentax surveyors tripod with an Arca Cube to support his 200Mb Hasselblad multishot. It's heavy, sure, but it is rock solid - and I mean solid. The legs have been filled with expanding foam to damp vibrations and the top plate has been modified. You can get similar ones from Dutch Hill.

Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 01:09:06 am »

The Gitzo 3541 seems just fine and it's a lot more robust and rigid than the 2540.

I had the Gitzo 3541 but replaced it with the RRS TVC-24.  After a few months now, I can report that the RRS article is, in my view, superior.  Check out this thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up