Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 Profiler and Monitor Profiles  (Read 1459 times)

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
i1 Profiler and Monitor Profiles
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:41 pm »

I have an older Apple Cinema Display, which has been pretty decent over the years. I use it as a second monitor in a two monitor setup with OS X (Snow leopard).

I just upgraded to i1Profiler (I'm using an i1 spectophotometer) and decided to try to calibrate and profile the apple to get a closer match to my NEC (D65). No matter what I do (Matrix, LUT, various white points), I'm getting very non-linear grays. I feel like the software is making poor calibration curves and while the white point seems right, light grays are swinging wildly pink. Since I can't find a way to calibrate and profile in separate steps, it's a little hard to diagnose. I thought that maybe this monitor wasn't going to let me calibrate it to D65 even though it's quite linear at it's native white point. But then I did a calibration/profile with Argyll and got spectacular results. The calibration curves look more sensible, the grays are all neutral and smooth, and it's an uncanny match to the very different NEC monitor.

Is anyone else having these kind of issues with i1Profiler? I want to think it's user error, but I'm not really new at this, and I've tried just about every combination of options available in the software.

shinew

• xunwang.me
Re: i1 Profiler and Monitor Profiles
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 01:39:43 am »

try single gamma profile if you can set it in i1profiler(not familiar with it). Otherwise, you can use argyllcms.

I had problem getting very neutral gray using anything else other than single gama profile when viewing various shades of dark grays like these http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up