Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sinar auto aperture shutter vibration  (Read 4709 times)

bpepz

sinar auto aperture shutter vibration
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:11:48 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with the sinar auto aperture shutters in how they fare with vibration? I have heard they vibrate extremely badly, so I am kind of worried now. I picked up a sinar 80mm digitar lens in DB mount and was going to pick up the AA shutter but if the vibration is really bad should I consider getting the lens remounted in something like a copal #0 shutter instead?

ctz

Re: sinar auto aperture shutter vibration
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 03:23:43 pm »

Yes. I had two shutters and several DB mounted lenses, I can only confirm that they vibrate very very badly.
Altough a lot of people told me, on this forum also, that they have not any problems at all.
?!

bpepz

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:27:01 pm »

this is troubling, I was also planning on mounting my rz67 lenses with a special lens board and using the auto aperture shutter with it. If the vibration is that bad that really sucks, anyone know of another behind the lens solution? I am using this on a sinar p with a leaf aptus digital back. Also anyone know of a good place to get lenses mounted in the DB lens board into a copal?

RobertJ

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »

That's why I've stayed away from any auto apertures and stuck with copals.

However... If you're using strobes, I can't imagine that causing any problems.  Even without strobes, the Sinar P with the standards tightened down on the rail, and the rail super tightened in the rail clamp, and the rail clamp on a heavy tripod or studio stand, I'm not sure there would be any problem, unless the shutter's vibration is strong enough to move the carrier *frames*.

I know for damn sure the function carriers won't move at least...

bpepz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »

That's why I've stayed away from any auto apertures and stuck with copals.

However... If you're using strobes, I can't imagine that causing any problems.  Even without strobes, the Sinar P with the standards tightened down on the rail, and the rail super tightened in the rail clamp, and the rail clamp on a heavy tripod or studio stand, I'm not sure there would be any problem, unless the shutter's vibration is strong enough to move the carrier *frames*.

I know for damn sure the function carriers won't move at least...

I actually am using mainly flash for table top work of food. I really hope it would not be enough vibration to cause problems, but even on the rz67, with mirror lock up shooting at 1/400th with strobes I STILL saw significant blur when I had my 350mm f/5.6 APO for my rz, its the main reason I sold it because I could not get a sharp shot out of it because of vibration. If the auto shutter is worse that would be bad.

TH_Alpa

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 02:21:40 am »

bpepz,

You shouldn't have any problem when shooting in studio with flash and in single-shot mode, on a inar p/p2 with the Auto-Aperture Sinar shutter. I have worked with it and this configuration for years.

However. I would may be do a servicing of the shutter, to make sure that all is functioning as it should and is adjusted corectly.

Best regards
Thierry

I actually am using mainly flash for table top work of food. I really hope it would not be enough vibration to cause problems, but even on the rz67, with mirror lock up shooting at 1/400th with strobes I STILL saw significant blur when I had my 350mm f/5.6 APO for my rz, its the main reason I sold it because I could not get a sharp shot out of it because of vibration. If the auto shutter is worse that would be bad.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:33 am »

Hi,

You had blur of vibration from a RZ leaf shutter release (after the mirror was up and waited for some time)? Hard to believe for me. May be you should try to further explore this issue of blur from which I have a feeling it might not be caused by vibration of the camera/lens.

It will surely help to use fast strobes, we use DB lenses here with the sinar shutter without any problems.

Get used to gently press the cable release to allow a proper setting of the aperture though.

Cheers, Ulf

bpepz

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:50:14 pm »

Hi,

You had blur of vibration from a RZ leaf shutter release (after the mirror was up and waited for some time)? Hard to believe for me. May be you should try to further explore this issue of blur from which I have a feeling it might not be caused by vibration of the camera/lens.

It will surely help to use fast strobes, we use DB lenses here with the sinar shutter without any problems.

Get used to gently press the cable release to allow a proper setting of the aperture though.

Cheers, Ulf

I hope you are right, I kind of wish I held on to the 350mm apo to test it out again, nevertheless it was very frustrating. I was using mirror lockup and waiting a good bit to trigger it, also what may of contributed was I was using it with extension tubes and shooting very close up to. Now that I am thinking about it what may of also been happening was my tripod may not of been locked down all the way and with the extension tubes, it is a huge lens and taking everything into account it was EXTREMELY front heavy which may of lead to it drifting down from the weight slowly.  Its good to hear you did not have problems with the auto shutter though. I really want a shutter that would make it easier for my to do multiple shots for either stitching or using multiple strobe pops, so being able to go from shot to shot with out any vibration or anything moving would be great. With the rz I have to cock the big lever every shot which pretty much ruins taking multipul shots in the same place.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 07:12:52 am »

I hope you are right, I kind of wish I held on to the 350mm apo to test it out again, nevertheless it was very frustrating. I was using mirror lockup and waiting a good bit to trigger it, also what may of contributed was I was using it with extension tubes and shooting very close up to. Now that I am thinking about it what may of also been happening was my tripod may not of been locked down all the way and with the extension tubes, it is a huge lens and taking everything into account it was EXTREMELY front heavy which may of lead to it drifting down from the weight slowly.  Its good to hear you did not have problems with the auto shutter though. I really want a shutter that would make it easier for my to do multiple shots for either stitching or using multiple strobe pops, so being able to go from shot to shot with out any vibration or anything moving would be great. With the rz I have to cock the big lever every shot which pretty much ruins taking multipul shots in the same place.

Hi bpepz,

For the RZ and multiple pops it might be worth picking up a used WinderII. It is not fast and always sounds a bit like "please give me new batteries" but it does actually work fine. I don´t have personal experience with the Apo 350 but I suspect it is not the best choice for closeup work and I´ll guess you stopped it down to more than f16, even f16 will lead to an effective f22-32 with use of the extension tubes. You´ll probably  had a lot of diffraction (and may have added some motion) blur.

Cheers, Ulf

ced

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:44:40 am »

In the early days of digital you had to make 3 shots for a colour image there was a lot going on in that system with shutter opening/closing and filter wheel turning and sometimes if there was some vibration it caused maybe the result to have a mis-registration by a pixel or two between the RGB layers and the software could correct these.
I think with a one shot system this is not going to be an issue to worry about if the shutter speed/flash sync are fast enough. Just make sure all is tightened enough to function as intended.
Pages: [1]   Go Up