Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod accessory to decrease weight  (Read 1688 times)

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
Tripod accessory to decrease weight
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:27:01 pm »

I have been looking at getting a new tripod lately and one thing I am thinking of doing is removing the center column to reduce weight. However I can't seem to find any information on what accessory I would need to procure in order to still attach the head. Does anyone have any suggestions?

While your at it, any recommendations for a tripod? (57 inches + without center column, twist or lever locks, carbon fiber, <$500.00)

Thank you in advance for your help.

gss

Re: Tripod accessory to decrease weight
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »

Perhaps if you have a systematic tripod, you could use a leveling base instead of the center column.  You could also just use a shorter center column instead of the one that came with your tripod.
Another, perhaps better, way to save weight is to buy one of the carbon fiber offerings.  I like the ones from Gitzo and Really Right Stuff, but these will blow past your budget.  I am sure that some of the less expensive ones would work for you, but haven't had personal experience, so I cannot make a suggestion as to which.

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »

Manfrotto has models under $500, barely, that allow removal of the center column and replacement with a short column that is part of, and removable from, the longer column. I think they are the 190MF3, three section and 055MF4, four section.

They both are carbon fiber.
Jack Varney

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:50:21 pm »

Both the 190 and the 055 are available in three or four section models. I have the 055 and am happy with it so far; I've seen it online for under $350 without a head. The 190 is only 47" tall without the center post extended, and even the three section version seems awfully spindly to me.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Sheldon N

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »

Look at getting a Gitzo systematic series tripod, they come by default without a center column and instead just have a flat plate with a mounting screw. If budget is tight at $500, you could look on the used market.  I use a 1325 and it's tall enough to be at eye level with no center column, and is sturdy as heck. You can get it for about $350 on the used market.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

nma

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:28:58 pm »

Take a look at the  Feisol 3442 CF tripod, about 2 lb. It is quite stable when extended to full height without a center column. Very good build quality, lots of reviews and experience with this one, about 1/2 the cost of the Gitzo.

Hope this helps.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:23:23 pm »

Thank you for all the great suggestions. (keep them coming) Unfortunately I can't seem to find the Gitzo 1325 (which sounds like a great deal) anywhere, even on Ebay.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:39:40 am »

Look at the top end Benro tripods (all carbon fiber) - at $500 and less they are as good as any Gitzo...and available on Ebay (new) with multi-year warranty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up