Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starch Based Adhesive  (Read 4622 times)

ashwee5185

Starch Based Adhesive
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »

Hi-

Can anyone recommend a good starch based adhesive for mounting digital fibre based images? I am looking for a some sort of archival wheaten glue where the image stability is very important. This is a museum quality job. I have heard of Vacu-Glue, but have not used and do not know if this is a quality material. I know the product says it is archival, but may adhesives claim to archival and will still cause yellowing on digital prints? I need something with no added solvents, platicizers or chemicals.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Alistair

Re: Starch Based Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:37:10 pm »

Have you considered photo quality gelatin with the appropriate hardner/mould inhibiter?
Alistair

ashwee5185

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »

I am not familiar with that technique. Is it very involved? I was advised the starch-based glue would be my best option in regards of archivability and quality. But I am open to other options. Do you have more info on this--- is it reversible?

framah

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:51:39 pm »

You're looking for either a wheat based or rice based starch paste. United Manufacturers sells Lineco's Rice Starch as well as the mulberry paper you use for hinging. They also have what is called Zen Crystals which require no cooking,just add water.

You definitely want to research (google it) how to use this method as you can just as easily damage the print with too much moisture as too little.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:57:40 pm »

I have sold a number of prints to museums and they have all been dry mounted. I wouldn't trust a moisture based adhesive as stated above.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

ashwee5185

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 02:02:09 pm »

I would rather use cold mount as oppose to hot press dry mount. I have heard that heat can be damaging especially to digital prints which are more fragile than silver gelatin prints.

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 02:21:18 pm »

You may have heard that, but I can testify from actual experience that it is not true. I've been doing it for years with many prints on permanent display in public institutions. One needs to use a low temp tissue with a temp of around 180 degrees. These low temp tissues are similar to what they used to make for dry mounting RC prints which couldn't take the high heat of regular tissues.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

ashwee5185

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:28:51 pm »

Yeah-- I have heard that Bienfang's Ragmount is good because it only needs a lower temp to activate the adhesive which is good for digital prints. But I was really hoping to find a good starch based adhesive, especially since I do not own a drymount press and do not have the funds to purchase one.

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 02:51:08 pm »

Frankly, If I couldn't dry mount, I would cold mount.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

ashwee5185

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »

Please excuse my ignorance-- if I am confused, but isn't using a starch based adhesive a cold mounting process? Perhaps I am wrong or misunderstand what you mean by cold mounting. Are there other preferable cold mounting options?

davidh202

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:40:09 pm »

Please excuse my ignorance-- if I am confused, but isn't using a starch based adhesive a cold mounting process? Perhaps I am wrong or misunderstand what you mean by cold mounting. Are there other preferable cold mounting options?

Yes it is!

Your choice of mounting method should be determined by the size of the prints.Cold Vacuume mounting with Vacu Glue is a very good choice for large prints,16 x 20 and larger
Small prints could easily be hinged with Japanese Rice /Mulberry Papers and Wheat -Rice starch paste.
If you don't have any of the necessary materials or equipment, it is in all probability more economical and sensible cost and experience wise, to farm the mounting out to a  QUALIFIED professional custom framer in your area unless you intend to be doing this on a regular basis. !!.
If that is the case you should get a good book, or search preservation hinging and matting methods and learn how to do it properly so you don't damage the prints as Framah said above ;-)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:49:28 pm by davidh202 »

ashwee5185

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 04:45:16 pm »

thanks this is very helpful :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up