Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worth changing from Vista to 7?  (Read 9974 times)

NigelC

Worth changing from Vista to 7?
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:28:54 pm »

My desktop is less than 3 yrs old with an intel 6600 overclocked to 3.00Ghz and 8GB of RAM, running Vista Home premium 64. Given that it is used almost exclusively for image sorting and editing, running CS5, DPP etc, I don't really have a problem with Vista because it just a portal into a few programmes. Given likely remaining life of machine, is it worth upgrading to Win7 Pro? I can only think of 2 reasons:  a) if I can get XP mode to work with some older scanner software, (struggling with XP mode on my Win 7 laptop), and b) if it makes machine run better - I read somewhere that 7 is more efficient in its use of processing capacity and memory.

Also, is it possible to upgrade from Vista 64 Home Premium to 7 Professional without having to do a clean install? The advice on that sems to have disappeared from MS website. If so, probably won't bother.   

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Worth changing from Vista to 7?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:55:48 pm »

The generally received wisdom is that it is better to do clean installs rather than attempting upgrades on major OS versions. So that might be answer enough.

Generally W7 is just much slicker than Vista, but if your current install is working I doubt there'll much benefit from an upgrade. Spend the money on more ram.

WRT scanner software; The main hurdle seems to be drivers. If the scanner (I assume it's old like the software ?)  doesn't have 64bit drivers available you may be stuck, but Vuescan is often the saviour as it's own drivers seem to make most old scanning hardware work on 64bt Windows versions. Well worth a download and trial.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:25:00 pm »

Nigel -

Yes, it is possible to "upgrade" from an x64 version of Vista to any x64 version of 7.

"Conventional wisdom" dictating a clean install is best is probably true, for those unable or unwilling to learn some simple Windows housekeeping tasks.

I'm going to write this up soon for my site and I haven't told anyone because I know I'll instantly get labeled as nuts.. but I've been operating my main workstation (1366/i7, SSD's, 12gb of RAM, dual GPU video, etc, etc) on the same build that started life as a RC candidate of x64 Vista.. so that's about.. well.. from September 2006 to a few weeks ago.  All upgrades, every SP beta and RC release throughout, and I've changed motherboards/CPU/RAM/Video cards so many times I've lost count.   All without blue screens or other issues, at least none not immediately solved.  I didn't set out to do this, but sometimes you start so far down a certain road and you can't help but wonder where it finishes.

Mine finished because of a timeout.  I installed an RC release of Win7 SP1 and then accidently erased the backup files from the system, and then Microsoft timed out the RC.. and I was forced to rebuild a few weeks ago.  Now that I'm rebuilt I'm getting the exact same benchmarks and performance scores..

So.. sure, you can upgrade and end up with just a reliable system as if it's a fresh install.  There's really very little to it.

The second question.. will you benefit?  Depends, are any of 7's new features jumping out at you as must needs?   If not, you'd still benefit from 7's improved memory manager, but maybe not enough to be worth the upgrade.  Personally, I'd be more concerned with upgrading that antique CPU of yours.. ;o)
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Win 7 is great, but unless your Vista installation is giving you problems, why mess with it? Money and time spent for little return.

Raw shooter

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »

Yes, Windows 7 is a whole different performance level than Vista.  Just the way its starts - the vastly improved superfetch and other startup issues.
This is one of the easiest choices in computing.  Windows 7 is flat awesome.  Vista, after SP2, wasn't as horrible as when originally released - but still can't be compared to Windows 7.
It's worth a clean install, over an upgrade, and a strong recommendation is also a minimalist install.  I wouldn't install any software that you don't need often.  Also XP mode is great, with lots of performance options.  I use it daily for older software that is critical for my job.

Best of luck - go for it!

pcunite

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 04:03:40 pm »

I would tend to say yes, it is worth it if you work on the PC for 8 hours or so at a time and manage multiple program windows. Windows 7 offers AeroSnap, and AeroPeek which I find invaluable.

It has two shortcomings (as did Vista) that needed addressing for me. One was the UP button when browsing folders which ClassicShell corrects. The other is XP style searching or classic search which FileSearchEX addresses.

I see myself using Windows 7 for another 10 years like with XP. Sure, in many ways it was just a service pack for Vista, but one that Microsoft did well.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:03:59 pm »

No. I have Vista Premium 64 on my PC and Win 7 on my laptop. I've never had a problem with Vista and after working with Win 7 don't see any practical advantage.

Alistair

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:52:53 am »

My desktop is less than 3 yrs old with an intel 6600 overclocked to 3.00Ghz and 8GB of RAM, running Vista Home premium 64. Given that it is used almost exclusively for image sorting and editing, running CS5, DPP etc, I don't really have a problem with Vista because it just a portal into a few programmes. Given likely remaining life of machine, is it worth upgrading to Win7 Pro? I can only think of 2 reasons:  a) if I can get XP mode to work with some older scanner software, (struggling with XP mode on my Win 7 laptop), and b) if it makes machine run better - I read somewhere that 7 is more efficient in its use of processing capacity and memory.

Also, is it possible to upgrade from Vista 64 Home Premium to 7 Professional without having to do a clean install? The advice on that sems to have disappeared from MS website. If so, probably won't bother.   

I have been running Vista 64 bit I think since around 2006 and for some reason purchased Win7 a year or 2 ago but I have never installed it. Vista SP3 is so stable and I am so used to it that I have never made the effort to install 7. In my case, very much a case that if it aint broke just leave the darned thing alone. Also, Win 8 is nigh. But if you want a brand new unopened copy of WIn 7 I can let you have at a good price!
Alistair

pindman

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:38:11 pm »

Get blue screens with both on a Dell workstation.  Waiting for the new MacPro after 20 years of PCs.

K.C.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:08:57 am »

My grandfather kept a push lawnmower for 40 years because it still cut grass. It kept him fit pushing that thing for hours every week. That's a practical byproduct you can't refute. I had more grass to cut than he did and I used a Honda lawn mower that was state of the art precision. I cut more grass in less time and then went on to better use of my day with the time I saved.

I currently support 46 PCs in creative environments, everything from exclusive CS5 work to color grading video and cataloging stock images. Productivity in Vista sucks, W7 is leaps and bound ahead of it. We kept everything in XP when buying new PCs during the Vista years because all the high end HP work stations came automatically back graded to XP. We then moved to 7 and have never missed a beat.

My most successful clients use all Macs with Virtualized W7 for those times when it's needed.

I'm just reporting my experience. After 27 years in IT I don't think I've ever seen anything as bad as Millennium or Vista.

jalcocer

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:31 am »

If vista still works for you and haven't give you trouble, I stick with that, there's not that huge difference compared to 7, yes 7 is a bit faster but not that much. If you where planning on a new equipment then there's no question about it, get 7, or even a nice upgrade to your actual equipment would help also to decide for win 7.

Maybe also if the software you use or want to use is no compatible with vista anymore, but my understanding is that even current software can run on vista.

MarcG19

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 10:11:12 pm »

I would not upgrade (speaking as a US BYOPCer who did so).  If what you have works, just wait to do the full upgrade later. 

1. for the cost of a straight upgrade, you pay a significant percentage of the cost for a better, newer machine (or a better MB/processor if you build - and here in the US you can get OEM editions for much less than the cost of the rertail upgrade if you get an MB processor.  This basically makes it a new machine)

2. something you have may not be Windows 7 compatible.  The motherboard on my home theater PC wasn't, causing the Vista-Win7 upgrade to cost far more than I initially planned, for no net benefit for that machine.   

cefthym

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:13:40 pm »

Windows 7 is xp in reliability and vista in the looks, and xp were the most reliable windows till now, in my opinion.

ewanqbl

• www.appledistrict.com
    • Apple District
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 04:02:55 am »

I would change from Vista to 7. The most important aspect is the way in which it handles memory operations. Windows 7 has better memory management than Vista, it's much more reliable then Vista, close to XP, out of the box, and support AVX for faster processing. If you are using an i7 based on Sandy Bridge, you could very well use the instruction set and get faster processing in certain apps. Also, because of DX11 support, newer cards that support DX11 can give you a boost in certain applications(nVidia CUDA).

My 2 cents.
My side project www.appledistrict.com

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 10:02:48 am »

Yes, Windows 7 is a whole different performance level than Vista.  Just the way its starts - the vastly improved superfetch and other startup issues.
This is one of the easiest choices in computing.  Windows 7 is flat awesome.  Vista, after SP2, wasn't as horrible as when originally released - but still can't be compared to Windows 7.
It's worth a clean install, over an upgrade, and a strong recommendation is also a minimalist install.  I wouldn't install any software that you don't need often.  Also XP mode is great, with lots of performance options.  I use it daily for older software that is critical for my job.

Best of luck - go for it!

I currently use XP in a dedicated computer for Photoshop, and have Vista in a later machine for Internet. I recently thought I'd like to load my PS6 into Vista; the thing refused to accept the CD as being incompatible. That's a bitch, because since my PS computer has been languishing in a repair shop for over a week plus, I can't even touch photography until the thing is fixed!

The reference in you post to XP: does that mean that I should then be able to use my old PS6 if I buy into W7?

Is there any fix for using PS6 in Vista? No, I don't want to spend the best part of a grand on a new PS verson - I don't require more tricks than I already can do... old dog, out to pasture (but not to stud, sadly) etc.

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 10:42:25 am »

Rob, not to waste your time, because I really don't know,
but
virtual xp is a function supported on the win7 platform.
I means basically that many apps built for xp will be compatible with win7
I only ran into it when trying to load the old cd and key I have for my RIP
my rip was written for xp and only works in xp mode.
XP mode can be loaded onto any win 7 pro or above.
Need to look at the website to see of your OS is even capable.
Then you need the space to run it,
I'd just wait for your other box to come back.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 12:02:42 pm »

Thanks, Rocco, it was really to see if I could find a sort of temporary alternative in the case of the PS computer breaking down again. However, it would take so long to gat anything done here - re. my pS computer! - that it probably wouldn't be worth the time/bother relationship!

Ciao -

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up