Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cintiq 24" HD  (Read 9957 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
If your mind is attuned t

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New Cintiq 24" HD
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:30:53 pm »

Thanks Mike.

This is probably one of the most tempting piece of equipment I had seen in years.

Cheers,
Bernard

K.C.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 12:24:20 am »

Try before you buy. I have the earlier 18" Cintiq and it's nice for rough editing but crap for much of anything else.

VitOne

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:45:01 am »

I am very interested in this product, but I tried the “older” Cintiq 21” and I didn’t like it too much. I really appreciate all the efforts done by Wacom to make this a very ergonomic product, but I found that on a 24” screen the resolution should be higher than 1920x1080 to really “simulate” a piece of paper. I was hoping for a higher pixel density display. I am also not very happy with the Intous4Wireless that I own and use. The Bluetooth connection is too slow and if you customize the tablet for different applications you have to wait about 2 secs each time you switch from one to another (very common in my workflow), so I am using it only wired. So I am not really happy with the Wacom drivers.

Here you can find a new video about the 24HD: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/wacom-cintiq-24hd-hands-on-video/

Here a review: http://gizmodo.com/5839504/wacom-cintiq-24hd-review-a-digital-artist-heaven-on-earth

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 05:03:27 pm »

I have just ordered one.  Bit of a punt, but it looks like a new ball game  8)
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

VitOne

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »

I'll start a new topic to report some Cintiq 24 HD problems.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:15:14 am »

So far so different ;D.  It is taking a while to get used to but it is pretty impressive to use.  Just a question of acclimatising myself to a new way of working.  One thing is clear.  I going to need a bigger work table if I am going to retain my original monitor as well as the Cintiq 24.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:16:47 am by Quentin »

cats_five

• Fifescapes Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:29:49 am »

I saw several of these on Sunday when I got the chance to visit Edinburgh ATC - I think they have some built into the controller's desks, and a couple of free-standing ones in the sim room. 

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:59:58 am »

I have noticed a very slight colour cast issue - slightly cyan on the left, Magenta on the right of the screen.  It is very faint, but there.

Anyone else seen this?

Quentin

VitOne

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 04:59:33 am »

Yes, I have noticed it. The difference is less than 2 DeltaE 2000, the difference is normal.

In recent Eizo CG and NEC SpectraView (27”/30”) you get the same exact casts (is green/magenta) when you have a white or light gray background. I think that this is normal, if you can measure the DeltaE between center and corners and you find that is less than 2 (usually 1,5) than it is normal. Anyway it varies from screen to screen and it could depend on calibration settings and on the profile that you are using (check also the cable).

One method to obtain measurement is imply to do several validations in different areas of the screen: the first one on the center of the screen, than a second one on the right side and a third one on the left side.
I am making some tests and I think that I will publish them in the next days, to show what I call “unwanted color gradients” and “unwanted light gradients” (check also luminance, on the Cintiq 24 HD one side is usually 8-12% brighter than the other).

Mr. Rib

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:58:11 am »

It's probably not important for photo editing and retouching but kind of a deal breaker for me is the fact that Wacom 24HD uses USB 2.0, thus there's still significant lag between the actual movements of the pen and what see on the tablet. As mentioned before, it's not a big problem if you photo edit only but I am also a graphic designer and I want to use my Wacom mostly for drawing. I do own a Cintiq 21ux and the lag is definitely a downer... I didnt have an occassion to play with 24HD yet but as I understand, the lag is still there since it's USB 2.0? By the way- a trade-in plan would be nice for former Cintiq owners, but of course there's no such thing. Sigh..

VitOne

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 04:22:09 pm »

I really can’t experience any lag problem with the Cintiq 24HD. For what I understood (I specifically asked a Wacom Senior Technician regarding this topic) USB 2.0 is (much) more than enough. Of course it is suggested to connect the Cinitq 24HD directly to your computer (no USB hubs).
I noticed lag only using Photoshop CS5 and Painter with particular brushes, but this is an hardware problem (the computer I was using was not enough powerful) and has nothing to do with the Cintiq 24HD.

With the Grip Pen (bundled) and the felt nibs I am experiencing the best digital drawing/retouching experience that I have ever had (I am an Intuos 4 Wireless user and I used previous Cintiqs).

As I reported on other topics I am experiencing problems with the ArtPen (read here: http://managingcolors.blogspot.com/2011/10/cintiq-24hd-and-artpen-problematic.html) and I have been told that, at the moment, you can’t use the ArtPen with the Cintiq 24HD.

I don’t know many trade-in programs for monitors, but I know that Eizo and Nec (and maybe other brands) are offering a 0 bad pixel warranty. More than one customer of the Cintiq 24HD reported bad pixel problems.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »

I have been using the Wacom Cintiq 20WSX since it was released a few years ago. I never noticed any lag until I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and then experienced some lag with the Art Brush Pen that has tilt sensitivity in addition to pressure. I have not had any problems with the Grip Pen or the Air Brush Pen.

I just noticed today that there was a new Wacom driver released on October 13, 2011 (I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.2). The new driver seemed to fix the problem I experienced with the Art Brush Pen.
Gerald J Skrocki

VitOne

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 01:22:26 pm »

That drivers (6175) are not correcting the issues that I have as you can see in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A7L5wo0uy8

The Cintiq 24HD is not working correctly with the ArtPen and Wacom knows it: http://managingcolors.blogspot.com/2011/11/artpen-bad-news.html

The sad thing is that none of the online reviews that I have found is reporting the issues that I clearly noticed on the 3 units that I have tested (both in Europe and in the USA): unacceptable fan noise (too high) and serious handling problems from the ArtPen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up