Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palouse shoot - PODAS event...  (Read 1490 times)

dreed

Palouse shoot - PODAS event...
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

Are there any forums or threads around that are discussing the Palouse PODAS event?

Having seen their most recent addition, a New Zealand excursion with Ken Duncan, I'm rather curious about feedback about value for money, etc.
Does it all depend on the instructors?
Has anyone been on more than one PODAS event?

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
Re: Palouse shoot - PODAS event...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:37:43 pm »

I have not been on a Podas workshop but I can certainly vouch for the quality of presenters on the upcoming NZ one. I know all four presenters well and you will not find a better group anywhere in the world.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:09:43 am »

Are there any forums or threads around that are discussing the Palouse PODAS event?

Forums? Not that I know of...maybe the Phase One/Capture One forums hosted by Phase One..don't know.

Does it all depend on the instructors?

Yes...and no.

Just to be upfront, I've been an instructor on 4 PODUS workshops and clearly, the instructors (always a very good and dedicated group regardless of the location) are a major component, obviously...but it's also Kevin Raber of P1 that does a tremendous job of pre-scouting with the locals and knowing how to how to hook up with the best guides to design the best itineraries...and it's the all inclusive itineraries that will maximize the workshop experience...and truth be told, if/when you take a PODUS, you should be prepared to hit the ground running and keep going till your tongue hangs out. Kevin sets a "take no prisoners" tempo and you'll end up totally (in a good way) drained and exhausted at the end.

In addition to the instructors and Kevin's boundless energy, you'll also have the advantage of Phase One pros (Phase One employees) to take care of technical issues (to walk you through using a P1 6x45 camera and IQ back as well as Capture One).

Many (but clearly not all) attendees already have some MFDB experience (it's about 50/50) and you also get the benefit of hanging out with other attendees that may have more experience shooting with the P1 system.

Look, I'm biased...I love doing PODUS workshops–the most recent Palouse was a great example (and yes, we got some nice blue sky with golden wheat shots–but that's really easy stuff like shooting fish in a barrel). We had 4:45 AM calls for sunrise, then back to the hotel for breakfast, workshop sessions from the instructors (Art and Mike did great sessions) then out for sunset then off to a great place for dinner, then do it all over again the next morning...step and repeat...

Unlike most workshops, this is an all inclusive from the airport to airport experience...it's pretty much a photo orgy.

wtlloyd

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:51:30 pm »

Photo Orgy trumps Major Gigage. A new standard has been set!
Pages: [1]   Go Up