Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Gentle Land  (Read 1987 times)

Patricia Sheley

The Gentle Land
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:34:17 am »

Elsewhere on the forum   the age old battle of painter vs photographer raged on so for me this lovely Washington autumnal is a satisfying breath of fresh clean air. It carried me immediately to the Albert Bierstadt painting in and around Westphalia circa 1860's. Both artists, Michael and Albert chose a similar mind's lens and field of view taking in the beauties and flows of life we see not nearly often enough.

I cannot know what Albert chose to " leave out" when he so painstakingly documented the labors and laborers on the Westphalian lands but I find myself wondering if Michael or where Michael stands on the possibility of editing out the transmission lines..whether he feels it could be embraced to remove some traces of man's penetration...

I like this one Michael for many reasons conscious and probably unconscious.
Pat
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:36:37 am by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: The Gentle Land
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:58:00 am »

This is a classic example of being at the right place at the right time with the right light.  Extremely well captured image!

Trevor Murgatroyd

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:45:42 pm »

"I find myself wondering if Michael or where Michael stands on the possibility of editing out the transmission lines..whether he feels it could be embraced to remove some traces of man's penetration..."

An interesting question. Are not the road, the buildings and the marks of mechanical cultivation also traces of "man's penetration"?

Where is the line crossed between things that seem natural and things that do not?

At one time I cursed at transmission lines as "spoiling" an image. Now I try to accept them as also part of the landscape. I'm not sure if I have convinced myself!

Trevor

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:50:46 am »

I'm glad someone else started the thread.  I couldn't think of any way to do so that would be properly interpreted.

I think the image is exceptional, and exceptionally well-done.  Bravo.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:55:29 am »

At one time I cursed at transmission lines as "spoiling" an image. Now I try to accept them as also part of the landscape. I'm not sure if I have convinced myself!

And therein lies the tale.  It is possible that they do spoil an image as well as be acceptible as part of the landscape.  The question is, is the photographer making images or depicting landscapes?

dreed

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »

Indeed, nice capture...

However I'm still waiting to see a photo with "blue skies, orange fields and puffy white clouds" from the trip's advertising material ... or did one of the three not deliver?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:14:20 am »

However I'm still waiting to see a photo with "blue skies, orange fields and puffy white clouds" from the trip's advertising material

That's really easy and boring...it's the dramatic and unexpected that we were looking for. Blue skies with flowing fields of grain were everywhere...we were looking for (and found) somewhat more rare views. I saw a lot of really great stuff from the attendees that may not ever be shown...at least till later. So don't prejudge the results of the workshop based on what Mike happens to be showing...some great stuff got shot even if it ain't easy to find on line at this point.

dreed

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:02:33 am »

That's really easy and boring...it's the dramatic and unexpected that we were looking for. Blue skies with flowing fields of grain were everywhere...we were looking for (and found) somewhat more rare views. I saw a lot of really great stuff from the attendees that may not ever be shown...at least till later. So don't prejudge the results of the workshop based on what Mike happens to be showing...some great stuff got shot even if it ain't easy to find on line at this point.

Was there a guide for this, someone that knew the Palouse, or was it a case of explore during the day, make notes, return a dawn/dusk?

Update:
... actually, you've answered this in the other thread - Reply#2 - msg467024

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:12:20 am by dreed »
Pages: [1]   Go Up