Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson v700  (Read 1925 times)

dondi

Epson v700
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:47:16 am »

Hi all, was wondering if anybody would happen to have some sample unedited scans of slide film created with the epson v700?

I would like to know if the image scans from the v700 are closer to the originals than the plustek. I am failing to grasp why they should be so different to what is seen over a lightbox.

I have a plustek scanner, along with wolf faust targets. Have found that the provia 400x target tends to create scans that are a little on the blue side in comparison to how my photos appear over a lightbox. Velvia is not too bad with the velvia target.

Farmer

Re: Epson v700
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:31:56 am »

Is you monitor calibrated?  Are you viewing in a colour-aware app?
Phil Brown

Doug Fisher

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:22:58 am »

It is unclear from your post - Did you create a profile using the target or are you just scanning the targets without profiling the film first?

Doug

dondi

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:03 am »

Hi Farmer, I am using a calibrated monitor and viewing in photoshop, this allows me to apply my profile and convert to a argb or srgb.

Hi Doug, I have profiled the film. I then apply the icc in cs5 and then convert to argb.

The issue is that I am not particularly happy with the outcome (as I said, tends to be too blue) and was wondering if others were undertaking such steps with their scans or whether they were happy with the outcome out of the box (scan).

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:50:29 pm »

I've had good success with the Wolf Faust IT8 targets. I profile for each emulsion that I scan, with the matching Faust target, and the colour balance is generally OK. I have not used the Epson scanner - I use a Nikon 5000ED. A lot of my slides are on the blue side, as they're taken at high altitude, so my post-processing workflow often includes a colour temperature conversion.

If you are getting a consistent colour cast, I wonder if there is a second colour profile sneaking into your workflow somewhere? Or perhaps there is some non-linearity in the Epson's colour response that's giving you a colour cast?

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:26:42 pm »

Note the OP is not using an Epson, but a Plustek.

I think we need more info on the full workflow to see if there's any issue there.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up