Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going fo 2-3 weeks in Tibetan Amdo (Gansu province)  (Read 2240 times)

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
Going fo 2-3 weeks in Tibetan Amdo (Gansu province)
« on: September 10, 2011, 07:40:36 pm »

Hi, i'm heading for about 20 days to the south Gansu (Gannan), a region of Tibetan culture (but not "administrative" Tibet), i'll be joining some Chinese students and teachers in photography to Labrang monastery and some others. I guess l'ill be staying about 4-5 days in each location, be mostly on foot with only camera gear (I dont see them doing too much trekking).

So here is the traditionnal question about what to take and what to expect.
I'll have for sure a D700 and 17-35, very probably a 24-70 (sigma HSM or nikon one, i've to share gear). I do expect some very large landscapes, but i don't know so much about monks and other locals, i have no idea how easy/hard it will be to get to them (+ possible police presence and so on).

I can take a D200 or sony R1 as second body. the question is mostly about longer lenses (portraits / some landscape)
I've got a 70-200 VR (1 version), a 85 F1.8 and 135 F2.0(DC) as well as a sigma 50-150 (DX format).
Since i'm not used about being at 3000+m and i'd like to be able to stroll all day, i'd like to avoid overpacking

(also wondering about bag choice... small backpack probably + very small side bag just for 1-2 lenses?)

What would you take?

thanks.

Nicolas

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Going fo 2-3 weeks in Tibetan Amdo (Gansu province)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:14:40 am »

I spent my honeymoon in Tibet 5 years ago.

What I found useful. Tripod for shooting inside monasteries. Some places dont allow cameras at all, not many, and those that do have no problem with tripods. Light levels can be low so it is useful to have. Air is thin so do your best to keep weight low. I am not a big zoom lens user and used my TS lenses a lot. I was shooting on a 1DSmkII.

Had no problem photographing Tibetans but dont point a camera at anything resembling a military installation or personal.

Landscapes are mind numbing. A lightweight pano head systen would be helpful.

You can see some of what I shot on the Tiber gallery on my website. www.mkdp.co.za  Anything else just ask I will do my best to help.

I loved Tibet and would go back in a heartbeat. Enjoy
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

rickk

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:51:54 pm »

You should have plenty of fine photo opportunities. I had the good fortune to visit the province a few times in the 80s and early 90s.
You will probably still find a lot of variability among people in response to your camera -- posers to runners.
Just respect those who obviously don't wish to be photographed and have fun with those who do.
Be prepared to share the results via your camera screen. Someone may even have a memory card they would like you to use in your camera (had that experience at a remote monastery in Sichuan last year).

If you will be photographing inside monasteries or homes and trying to keep a low profile, the Sony R1 has that nice near-silent shutter but ain't so great at higher ISO -- tough trade-off.
One longer lens in your kit can be handy when you don't wish to interact with someone. A relatively small, but good quality, option is an old 200/4 Nikkor AIS -- no autofocus, but light and usually less than $200.

Have a great trip.

Rick

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:39:09 am »

Thanks for the replies.
Here is what i got finally
D700, 20 mm (voigtlander pancake), 35mm F2, 85mm F1.8, 135 F2 DC, 17-35 and 24-70 (sigma hsm version, more compact).
That worked pretty well, i could take the 20mm and 85mm in my pockets and 35 or 24-70 on camera and stroll with no bag at all, or get a small bag for 2-3 lenses.

The flash and D200 didn't get any use, the Lumix LX5 and the tripod not much either.

People are mostly nice, specially the Hui minority. Lot of nice portraits with cool faces and clothes but more difficult to show "life". A trip worth doing anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up