Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Composition Opinions  (Read 6320 times)

JohnKoerner

Composition Opinions
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:47:53 pm »

I was curious to hear opinions as to which of these compostions seems to work best:

1. Landscape, off-center

2. Portrait, high

3. Traditional, bullseye

Which composition honestly creates the best presentation?

Number 1?
Number 2?
Number 3?
Do two of them work?
Do all of them work?
Do all of them suck?

Thanks for any feedback,

Jack

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:54:02 am by John Koerner »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Composition Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:54:02 pm »

Jack, I hate to mention the rule of thirds, but #1 is the best composition of the three -- because of the rule of thirds -- not in an academic sense but just because it really works in this case, as it often does.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:22:42 pm »

Russ is right as usual.

The same elements occur in all three, but #1 has them spread in a way that makes a more interesting balance.

How much time did you spend training your butterfly?  ;)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

aduke

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:26:28 pm »

Jack, for me, the bullseye doesn't work at all, the landscape isn't too bad, but feels top-heavy, and the portrait version is very nice and feels balanced.  I look at macro and near-macro work as portraits, so prefer the portrait orientation. In addition, most plants and flowers are vertical subjects, so the portrait orientation works better for me.

Alan

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:36:58 pm »

The bullseye doesn't work at all. The portrait is okay, but for me the landscape #1 is the best and most natural of the three. It just "feels" best. The subject has plenty of room, the eye can wander around and pick up all sorts of environmental information, and yet the eye is led back to the subject every time. Nice frame.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:56:55 pm »

I love #1..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:38:57 pm »

All of them work.

We (photographers) often forget that we shoot mostly for the general public, and rarely, if ever, for other photographers. We also tend to forget that photography has a utilitarian function as well, not just being fine art. Photographs like these might have a number of utilitarian uses, not least of which is illustrations for magazine articles and covers. In that sense (e.g., magazine cover), having a portrait version can be very useful. It also makes sense not to compose too tight, as magazines might need a lot of "empty" space around for text.

So, keep doing them in multiple versions. And here is one you forgot (square):

Ray

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:55:15 am »

Yes. That's the best.  ;D

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:59:16 am »

I agree that Square should always be considered.

For me, the Landscape works the best.  Rule of thirds and also golden mean come to mind with it - not because of that do I like it, but I am not surprised that it appeals the most when I see that it tends to tick both those boxes.

The bullseye is not very interesting, but would work for a text book or study review (so, it does depend on the audience).  I like the square - it's more interesting than the bullseye while presenting in a similar way.

I find the portrait to be the weakest.  It's not an elongated subject and we're not really used to see then in that way, (which might very well be a reason to use it at times, but not this time).
Phil Brown

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 01:44:10 am »

Just to be a dissenting voice, I don't like #1 because the stem obfuscates the right tail of the butterfly, and it is a swallowtail after all.  Because of the long tails I'd also avoid #3 as it represents to me a vertical subject caught in a landscape frame.  Therefore I'd go for #2, but the square could work.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

JohnKoerner

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:52:29 am »

Jack, I hate to mention the rule of thirds, but #1 is the best composition of the three -- because of the rule of thirds -- not in an academic sense but just because it really works in this case, as it often does.

Russ is right as usual.
The same elements occur in all three, but #1 has them spread in a way that makes a more interesting balance.
How much time did you spend training your butterfly?  ;)
Eric

The bullseye doesn't work at all. The portrait is okay, but for me the landscape #1 is the best and most natural of the three. It just "feels" best. The subject has plenty of room, the eye can wander around and pick up all sorts of environmental information, and yet the eye is led back to the subject every time. Nice frame.

I love #1..

I agree that Square should always be considered.
For me, the Landscape works the best.  Rule of thirds and also golden mean come to mind with it - not because of that do I like it, but I am not surprised that it appeals the most when I see that it tends to tick both those boxes.
The bullseye is not very interesting, but would work for a text book or study review (so, it does depend on the audience).  I like the square - it's more interesting than the bullseye while presenting in a similar way.
I find the portrait to be the weakest.  It's not an elongated subject and we're not really used to see then in that way, (which might very well be a reason to use it at times, but not this time).

Thanks for the feedback, guys, #1 is also the most natural-feeling for me too.

Jack

PS: Eric, I spent no time training that butterfly. (However, it is amazing what 30 min in the refrigerator will do to slow a subject down enough to facilitiate multiple shooting opportunities  ;) )

JohnKoerner

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 06:57:48 am »

Jack, for me, the bullseye doesn't work at all, the landscape isn't too bad, but feels top-heavy, and the portrait version is very nice and feels balanced.  I look at macro and near-macro work as portraits, so prefer the portrait orientation. In addition, most plants and flowers are vertical subjects, so the portrait orientation works better for me.
Alan

Just to be a dissenting voice, I don't like #1 because the stem obfuscates the right tail of the butterfly, and it is a swallowtail after all.  Because of the long tails I'd also avoid #3 as it represents to me a vertical subject caught in a landscape frame.  Therefore I'd go for #2, but the square could work.
Mike.

Thanks for the feedback Alan & Mike. My girlfriend agrees with you and likes the portrait shot best too. She is much like Riaan, and prefers shooting almost everything she does in portrait mode hereself. I like this perspective as well, but prefer #1 by just a tad.

Mike, interesting catch there with the butterfly wing. I appreciate your hawk-like eye (or should I say "Owl-like" eye?  ;) ), and normally I would agree with you. However, I believe the white border of this butterfly's tail makes it stand out clearly against the stem of the flower, and so nothing is lost by its alignment with it IMO. And in fact the square composition that Slobodan suggested, that you also say works, is likewise taken from #1 :)

Jack

JohnKoerner

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 07:13:23 am »

All of them work.
We (photographers) often forget that we shoot mostly for the general public, and rarely, if ever, for other photographers. We also tend to forget that photography has a utilitarian function as well, not just being fine art. Photographs like these might have a number of utilitarian uses, not least of which is illustrations for magazine articles and covers. In that sense (e.g., magazine cover), having a portrait version can be very useful. It also makes sense not to compose too tight, as magazines might need a lot of "empty" space around for text.

Yes. That's the best.  ;D

Interesting twist, Slobodan. As usual, you give me a perspective I had not considered, so thank you for that.

The reasons you listed for taking multiple shots in general are exactly my thinking behind doing so for this butterfly: multiple applications from fine art, to a magazine cover, for a species ID book, etc. Normally, in the past, I would have just taken the "bullseye" shot (#3) and filled the frame with the butterfly. However, in trying to develop an artistic perspective, I have been experimenting with different compositions to see which one(s) harmonizes the best. The Zebra Swallowtail happens to be my favorite butterfly, so I wanted to take multiple shots of it before this season ends.

Regarding your squared suggestion, I have to admit that Russ has me programmed "never to crop," so for me not maintaining the "original photographic dimensions" seems to be a sin

However, the crop you did does remove some arguably wasted-space, and might fit better in (say) a magazine column article, where (just thinking about it now) I have seen many photos cropped for reasons of space.

So thanks again for the suggestion,

Jack

JohnKoerner

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 07:21:34 am »

PS: One more thing Russ: doesn't #2 (Portrait Mode) also satisfy The Rule of Thirds?: 1/3rd purple flowers, 1/3rd butterfly, 1/3rd plant leaves below?

Maybe not exactly, but pretty close?

Thanks again,

Jack

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:54:15 am »

In #1, the tail superimposed over the stem leads my eye down and out of the picture.  I have to force it back to the butterfly and its flower.  In number 2, though, I can look at all the interesting stuff without being dragged away.
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 09:15:32 am »

In #1, the tail superimposed over the stem leads my eye down and out of the picture.  I have to force it back to the butterfly and its flower.  In number 2, though, I can look at all the interesting stuff without being dragged away.

Thank you for providing your opinion, Dale.

In honor of Mike, who first pointed this out, as well as to satisfy your affirmation of this view, I offer another (similar) perspective of this same butterfly which addresses this issue:

4. Landscape, tail problem corrected

I also added a new "twist" for those who preferred the portrait version ... and that is another portrait version, but this one off-centered also:

5. Portrait, off-center

Curious to see if these alternatives change any opinions :)

A big thanks again for all who have taken the time to comment and provide their opinions and insights!

Jack

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:56:14 am by John Koerner »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 09:24:22 am »

The new portrait version is very nice. Again, it's loose enough to provide a lot of information and framing. It would make a great magazine cover, with room for copy.

I did not have a problem with the stem/tail issue, but the new landscape version fixes that.

In both versions, and the original landscape, I particularly like the sense of depth provided by the other flowers in varying degrees of focus.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

JohnKoerner

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 11:19:49 am »

The new portrait version is very nice. Again, it's loose enough to provide a lot of information and framing. It would make a great magazine cover, with room for copy.
I did not have a problem with the stem/tail issue, but the new landscape version fixes that.
In both versions, and the original landscape, I particularly like the sense of depth provided by the other flowers in varying degrees of focus.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

In consideration of all the comments you and others have made, I re-worked several of my images, and in particular I found another example to use for Number 2 (hit "Refresh" on your browser). This was the exact same shot as what I posted originally for Number 2, except I brought it back just a bit to allow more room at the top for the flowers, which I think is important.

I was able to take over 40 shots of this butterfly before he warmed-up and flew away, and was trying to consider as many options as I could to develop my "eye" for good compositions, so I sincerely appreciate everyone's helping me analyze the strengths/weaknesses of these compositions. Your comments regarding depth ... Russ's & Farmer's take on "The Rule of Thirds" (though I am not sure what "The Golden Mean" is) ... Mike's on the tail being in alignment with the stem ... Alan's comments on the portrait perspective in general ... and Slobodan's option of The Square ... have all give me plenty of food for thought to rub my chin over as I work with these images and consider my next opportunity.

So a big "Thank you" again :)

Jack

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:31 am »

Just to be a dissenting voice, I don't like #1 because the stem obfuscates the right tail of the butterfly, and it is a swallowtail after all.  Because of the long tails I'd also avoid #3 as it represents to me a vertical subject caught in a landscape frame.  Therefore I'd go for #2, but the square could work.

Mike.
I'm glad you wrote that, Mike, since it's exactly what I felt. #1 does give the best feel as an image overall but is spoiled for me by the overlap of the tail and the stem.

I always get worried when I'm about to disagree with Russ, though  ;)

Jeremy

Edit: having now scrolled down to the bottom of the thread (I must control my itchy fingers) I'll vote for #4.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 06:53:26 am »

#5 is the clear winner to me, a nice clean vertical/portrait composition suits the subject and flowers very well, and as Slobodan indicates, leaving breathing room around the main object makes this an effective layout for illustrative purposes.

All nice shots, but definitely #5 gets my vote.

Dave (UK)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up