Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab Slickrock paper settings (HP Z printer)  (Read 1822 times)

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
Moab Slickrock paper settings (HP Z printer)
« on: September 10, 2011, 03:28:55 pm »

Hi folks,

having read the LL article on the new Moab paper, I asked my dealer to send me some Super B sheets for some tests, and an ICC profiling first.
But, I wonder which setting is the the right one for profiling. Though Moab gives it the name "Slickrock Metallic Pearl 260" it looks pretty glossy to me (it is my first metallic paper).

Those of you having already made an ICC profile on your own: Did you choose glossy paper or satin/pearl ? Or even something different?

Any advice on that?

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Moab Slickrock paper settings (HP Z printer)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:38:30 pm »

Have you checked with Moab...they may have some suggestions.  I am considering this paper and would be interested in your observations.

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 01:58:18 am »

Have you checked with Moab...they may have some suggestions.  I am considering this paper and would be interested in your observations.

Yes, I did and could not find anything leading me in the right directions whether glossy or satin is the better choice.

Anybody with metallic paper experiences out there with an idea on that?

Thomas

nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

stefano

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 08:57:24 am »

I treat it as a glossy paper in my printer driver setup. The surface is definitely high gloss, and should be treated as such (watch out for scratches). I just recently profiled it using ArgyllCMS and my custom 2264 patch target, and love the results. Not terribly excited with the QC on the roll I received - it looks like it suffered a hit on one side, and there is a nasty crease in it near the edge. I understand that the same paper (made by Mitsubishi) is available in other labellings and possibly at better price points than the Moab label - Once I am through with the current roll I plan to get some samples from other labels and compare them to Slickrock using the same custom profiles. I will definitely be stocking this paper in some form, it is a good replacement for the wet process Endura Metallic that I have used in the past!
Pages: [1]   Go Up