Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Museo Silver Rag problem?  (Read 19025 times)

fetish

Museo Silver Rag problem?
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:16:24 pm »

Hi guys,

Just wondering did anyone here notice any difference between the recent (about prev 6 months) batches of Silver Rag rolls vs cut sheets?

Seems like only the cut sheets have the surface texture of the original silver rag. The rolls have an entirely difference surface, which is almost high gloss instead of satin-ish.

I've sent feedback to museo a few months ago and expected them to rectify the issue but the recent batch which came in about a week ago still has the problem

It's not that the new surface is crappy, in fact I totally love it! but I require the surface of the prev version for a client of mine whose work are wholly produced on the old silver rag.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:11:39 pm by fetish »

narikin

Re: Museo Silver Rag problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:31:45 pm »

Interesting, besides the gloss, it looks a little smoother too - less bump/ripple - is that so?

While we're on the topic, does anyone know what happened to the 60" rolls of this. been very hard to get for months.  Is a new batch on the way?

I also see 50"x50ft or 60"x50ft listed on various retailers sites. Never both, just one or the other. Did they make 44", 50" and 60" rolls or is this a mix up?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:01:46 am by snowygst »

fetish

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:11:17 pm »

Interesting, besides the gloss, it looks a little smoother too - less bump/ripple - is that so?

While we're on the topic, does anyone know what happened to the 60" rolls of this. been very hard to get for months.  Is a new batch on the way?

I also see 50"x50ft listed OR 60"x50ft listed on various retailers sites. Never both, just one or the other. Did they make both or is one a typo, or ?

Yea the texture is totally out of whack now, like the coating is being oversaturated.

does your current roll exhibit this problem?

fetish

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:20:53 am »

nobody else has this problem with the silver rag?  ???

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:16:11 am »

nobody else has this problem with the silver rag?  ???
I only print on cut sheets and all my paper was purchased over six months ago.  I haven't seen any sheets that have the same issue that you show.

fetish

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:19:21 am »

thanks Alan for the reply..
it appears to only manifest on rolls. even the newest batch of cut sheets are ok.
hmmm....

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:01:05 pm »

The Whole Product is different than when Crane Museo actually owned them.. Now That Intelicoat owns the Muse Brand They have ruined the whole line!!

Differnt Paper base, Different Coatings.. NO Stock.. whats next?

HMMMM

we need another supplier Like say Innova ( Since Dave Williams ) The Master behind Silver Rag to develop the paper again back to it original specs! I Know it can be done!!

Go For it Dave ! If your listening!

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

johncustodio

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:02:58 am »

Silver Rag was an excellent paper, but it has changed considerably since it first came out. Intellicoat seems to be constantly tinkering with it. The glossiness of the coating seems to be increasing and how it responds to ink from my Z3100 always seems different from batch to batch. However, I've finally given up on this paper because of their poor quality control. The paper is very difficult and time consuming to use because each sheet has to be examined for specks and other foreign material in the coating and paper base. Sometimes I can get several sheets in a row that are totally clean, and then several more sheets that have one or two black specks on each of them. And forget about using this paper in rolls. Rolls can't be examined before they are printed, and there is always a high probably that there will be a speck somewhere on the print.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:24:58 pm »

For an alternative to Museo Silver Rag, I would take a good look at Canson Platine Fibre Rag. The base of CPFR is a bit cooler but otherwise very comparable.

~ Jeff

http://artslidesboston.com
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

narikin

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:48:36 pm »

For an alternative to Museo Silver Rag, I would take a good look at Canson Platine Fibre Rag. The base of CPFR is a bit cooler but otherwise very comparable.

completely different surface and finish in Platine.
you may as well mention HPR Baryta or HPR Pearl as well.
in fact HPR Pearl is probably the closest one in surface finish to MSR.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:56:53 pm by snowygst »

jdoyle1713

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 01:51:30 pm »

No Canson Platine is a Rag and has the some style of coating..Its a Good cometitve product.

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper ;D
Jim Doyle

narikin

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:27 pm »

I have both here in front of me.
Platine has a stipple finish, fine, but a stipple
Museo Silver Rag is a burnished gloss.

HPR Pearl is closest to that in surface.

+ Platine, like all Canson Papers, is not available in 60" rolls, as Museo SR (theoretically) was.

fetish

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 02:37:21 pm »

ended up using HFA Baryta. the surface texture is similar to the old MSR but cooler.
it's gonna be ok for now but the real problem will come when the newer batch of prints join the older prints which are printed on the old MSR.

oh gawd... Museo... whyyyyyyyyyyy????:-X

jdoyle1713

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41:15 pm »

Rumor Has it Canson Platine Is coming out in 60" just a matter of time ( BY End Of Year) But you didnt hear that from me! HA

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper  :o
Jim Doyle

fetish

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 01:23:58 am »

Rumor Has it Canson Platine Is coming out in 60" just a matter of time ( BY End Of Year) But you didnt hear that from me! HA

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper  :o

*likes*  ;D

narikin

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 07:29:12 am »

+2   :)

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53:12 pm »

After many problems with the "new" Museo Silver Rag and their refusal to replace damaged paper I asked Jim Doyle and with his recommendation I switched to Canson Plantine and couldn't be happier.

narikin

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 04:58:27 pm »

Thanks Canson! (shhh... I mean... Jim)

Hopefully they will do the same with Baryta Photographique? - which is another of their top quality papers.
the other one I'd love at 60" is Harman Gloss Baryta (ex FBAL),  but that's another company, and another story, doubtless.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:07:31 pm by snowygst »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 03:09:30 am »

Hopefully they will do the same with Baryta Photographique? - which is another of their top quality papers.

The Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk is available in 50" wide rolls, the paper Baryta Photographique is based on.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Sven W

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 12:17:45 pm »

Quote from the factory:

"Regarding the availibility of 60" rolls, unfortunately our Baryta will never be available in such a width. Indeed for technical reasons this is not feasible owing to the coating machine which spreads the baryum sulfate all over the paper, the width of which is smaller than 60". Actually the maximum width we could achieve is 50". We are ready to plan a special batch for this. However please bear in mind this is not a stock product, therefore the lead time may be a bit longer.
However our Platine (which is a 100% rag paper base,  may be offered in 60" (just like Rag Photo and Edition) in the course of 2011. This project is in the pipe."

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up