Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Positive Thunderbolt thread  (Read 44386 times)

mediumcool

Positive Thunderbolt thread
« on: September 09, 2011, 01:13:41 am »

Impressive test results from Macworld.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

mediumcool

Re: Positive Thunderbolt thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:03:20 pm »

And one more thing!

Laptops are the new desktops.

K.C.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:09:31 pm »

And one more thing!

Desktops?

You mean towers.

Pretty much anything in an actual desktop box has had a laptop motherboard in it for the last few years.

mediumcool

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:33:53 am »

Desktops?

You mean towers.

Please don’t tell me what I mean.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:18:00 am »

And one more thing!

This seems to be the overall trend.

Meanwhile, there is a strong segment of users who want/need the power of the 920/930/950/960/980/990 i7's in a desktop/tower format.. in fact, this series might be the most significant CPU of recent times spawning  the new Sandy Bridge desktop processors which will precede Ivy Bridge.

Yet, one important computer maker acts like they don't even exist.  Or those who need/want USB 3.0.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:36 am »

The title of this thread includes the word positive and Thunderbolt; please do not try to hijack it with an enervating and not-so-subtle agenda.

Stick to the subject, or create another thread. Please.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:52:15 am by mediumcool »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:31:38 am »

The title of this thread includes the word positive and Thunderbolt; please do not try to hijack it with an enervating and not-so-subtle agenda.

Stick to the subject, or create another thread. Please.

Sure, no problem.  Your thread just didn't seem to be gaining much traction, and it seemed relevant to your "laptops are the new desktops" comment.  But if all you're looking to do is ignore the obvious and pat Thunderbolt on the back I will accommodate. 

On the subject, I think Thunderbolt is great technology and frankly I've been surprised at the number of peripherals released, even just since the start of that other thread about Thunderbolt.  Much better than USB 3.0, FW800, Display Port, or any new interface in recent history.  It appears they may have learned from their mistakes.  Let's hope so, I'd love to see fast new devices available for my PC's at roughly the same cost as USB2.0 devices.   Sometimes it's great to be wrong, but it's never wrong to question and analyze.

mediumcool

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 10:56:36 am »

Your thread just didn't seem to be gaining much traction, and it seemed relevant to your "laptops are the new desktops" comment.  

Steve, “traction” was and is not a concern to me; and, yes, your first sentence was relevant.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 11:09:14 am »

I really don't see many good things about thunderbolt. Great idea, but what use if the only thing I can use it with are Mac books.... No sense in that.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 01:27:00 pm »

Steve, “traction” was and is not a concern to me; and, yes, your first sentence was relevant.

You wouldn't have been disappointed if the thread/question you posted received not a single reply?  If you want 'discussion' (it's in the dictionary too) you post a thread in a forum.  If you want to promote or advertise perhaps a banner ad would be more appropriate?  Better yet, you could choreograph an entire thread, send out scripts to relevant members, lock out the rest, and watch the story unfold.   Beautiful eh?

In any case, I'm starting to see a more clear future for Lightpeak if not Thunderbolt.  And I'm glad.  Another empty interface promise wouldn't have served anyone.

mediumcool

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:58:00 am »

I really don't see many good things about thunderbolt. Great idea, but what use if the only thing I can use it with are Mac books.... No sense in that.

Patience. Apple got a head start because they helped develop it. And desktop Macs have it too, not just Mac portables.

[fixed link]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:56:51 am by mediumcool »

martinreed22

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 09:06:12 am »

From the "coming soon" corner:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/thunderbolt-coming-to-windows-pcs-next-year-from-acer-and-asus.ars

None of these things happen overnight, just look at USB3 and indeed USB2. But looks like it may have legs outside of Macs.

martin

mediumcool

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:05 am »

From the "coming soon" corner:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/thunderbolt-coming-to-windows-pcs-next-year-from-acer-and-asus.ars

None of these things happen overnight, just look at USB3 and indeed USB2. But looks like it may have legs outside of Macs.

martin

*May* seems rather tentative to me!  ;)

mediumcool

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 09:32:01 am »

You wouldn't have been disappointed if the thread/question you posted received not a single reply?  

Steve, why do you throw out rhetorical questions such as the above? You cannot know my purpose in starting this thread, except by inference in the title.

If you want 'discussion' (it's in the dictionary too) you post a thread in a forum.  

Again, how do you know discussion is a prime purpose of this or any particular thread? I wanted to post information that would not be hijacked by naysayers and seeming platform bigots. I will continue to post such information that I discover that may help to shed light on what appears (for reasons unknown to me) to be an extremely emotive subject. Is it that Apple got a head start on the rest of the computer industry by co-developing the copper-based system with Intel?

If you want to promote or advertise perhaps a banner ad would be more appropriate?  Better yet, you could choreograph an entire thread, send out scripts to relevant members, lock out the rest, and watch the story unfold.   Beautiful eh?

Not beautiful at all, Steve; this is *sarcasm* from where I am sitting.

In any case, I'm starting to see a more clear future for Lightpeak if not Thunderbolt.  And I'm glad.  Another empty interface promise wouldn't have served anyone.

Good for you, and I hope it is in part because of my links. However, Steve, Lightpeak was Intel’s internal project name; the shipping copper-based product, and the next generation, is and will be called Thunderbolt.

[changed comma to semicolon]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:49:55 am by mediumcool »

mediumcool

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:38 am »

Um, I think this is intended for Sony because of a proprietary protocol they have developed:

USB-IF Statement Regarding Unauthorized Use of USB Connectors and Specifications

Executive summary:
USB connectors are not general purpose connectors and are not designed to be used in support of other technology applications or standards or as combo connectors. The unauthorized use of USB connectors and specifications may cause a variety of problems with interoperability, compatibility, usability, and may lead to hardware failures, consumer confusion [my emphasis] as well as other legal and marketing issues. The USB-IF promotes the benefits of USB technology and facilitates the development of high-quality, compatible USB devices that have achieved USB-IF certification. Thus, the organization does not consent to the unauthorized use of USB connectors as these unauthorized connectors cannot ensure reliability and ease-of-use or deliver the brand promise associated with certified USB products.

Background. BTW, I disagree utterly with the author’s story title.

[added sentence to end]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:51:12 am by mediumcool »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 10:01:47 am »

Steve, why do you throw out rhetorical questions such as the above? You cannot know my purpose in starting this thread, except by inference in the title.

Again, how do you know discussion is a prime purpose of this or any particular thread? I wanted to post information that would not be hijacked by naysayers and seeming platform bigots. I will continue to post such information that I discover that may help to shed light on what appears (for reasons unknown to me) to be an extremely emotive subject. Is it that Apple got a head start on the rest of the computer industry by co-developing the copper-based system with Intel?

Not beautiful at all, this is *sarcasm* from where I am sitting.

Good for you, and I hope it is in part because of my links. However, Steve, Lightpeak was Intel’s internal project name; the shipping copper-based product, and the next generation, is and will be called Thunderbolt.

1.  When you post a thread in a public forum, the "purpose" should be obvious.   I asked because it isn't.  Why don't you share?

2.   We assume a thread in a public forum is for "discussion."  Even if informational, when you leave it unlocked then it invites discussion.

3.  As far as "platform bigots" go, this is one area where you have been obvious.

4.  You do a lot of sarcasm, to most every person who responded to this thread.

5.  No, your posts haven't been helpful.  Mostly they've been hostile.  In fact, can't think of one that wasn't days or weeks behind the industry news.  You do realize IDF has been going on and thousands of articles posted across the web?  Even a brief cruise on the net reveals more recent Thunderbolt/Lightpeak news.  

I'll never see the purpose of those who feel the need to defend their platform.  Mac's have major issues regulating them to to a minor market share.  Not providing ANY platform for the most significant CPU (desktop i7's) in recent times being one.  Not supporting USB3.0 is another.  $50 cables.  Stifling discussion about their weaknesses serves no one.  I've been wanting to buy a Mac and try out OSx for years, so far every time they've turned me off because of such issues.  IMO a perceived slight advantage in operator UI does not justify a significant increase in price, and this is compounded by not offering the best value hardware or the most popular interfaces for peripherals.  I'm also not a "style over function" kinda guy.  I want to experience OSx, but they'll need to address these issues before I get behind them.   Competition is healthy and good for everyone.  The "everyone else doesn't get it" mindset went out of style with the He-Man Women Hater's Club..  

Gemmtech

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 10:04:00 am »

I think mental masturbation can be good!   ;)  If the OP was just posting a link to a website in order to educate the rest of us, there's truly nothing wrong with that.  However, since it is from Macworld and there are a lot of Mac users here, I'd assume this isn't earth shattering news!  I don't believe it was a rhetorical question when one asked if you'd be disappointed if nobody replied to thread.  Rhetorical is also in the dictionary!  ;)  

Oh, my opinion?  There are too many interfaces and too many choices for everything!  Just look at cell phone cells, too many standards in the USA, have one!!

OK, back to the "debate"

Steve, save your money and stick with windows, let morons like myself test out Macs, Iphones, Imacs, MB Pros, Ipads, Leopards, Snow Leopards, Lions, etc.   I'm trying to love Apple products, however their proprietary BS, I can't take an extra battery for my MB Pro and very difficult upgrade path (Hard Drive replacement in Imac is a NIGHTMARE) sickens me!  I do agree, their products are stylish, does that matter? 

Ps,  Can Thunderbolt be "negative" ?  

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:13:42 am by Gemmtech »

mediumcool

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 10:19:42 am »

No more, Steve; I find you far too aggressive.

mediumcool

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:55:03 am »

Impressive test results from Macworld.

Posted same day of linked story. Can’t get fresher than that!  :)

mediumcool

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 08:51:34 am »

Maximum number of TB displays possible on currently-shipping Thunderbolt-compatible Macs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up