Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro camera decision  (Read 3080 times)

jwhee0615

Pro camera decision
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:58:27 pm »

I need help with the purchase of a prosumer/pro vid camera for corporate use. I have been using my personal Canon HV30 for the last couple of years to do live video feed and recording of presentations at some of our corporate events in Vegas. This consumer camera has worked but I have had quite a bit of trouble with audio integration from the AV companies sound board even though I have tried to use a juicelink box and xlr cable. I get alot of noise and its just time to move up to a company funded pro camera with proper audio connections. I believe a camera in the $2k to $4k price range will be enough and along with sound I would like the ability to move the zoom to the fluid head handle. What are some thoughts on cameras in this price range? Thanks for any help.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: Pro camera decision
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:53:57 am »

My suggestion: a used semi-pro HDV camera. Here's a discussion I had a few months ago: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/496187-new-video-camera-purchase-help.html

For about 2.5K, you will get a used Canon XHA1/G1 or JVC 200/250, etc - These are really good cameras for the money you're paying and they'll get the job done.

However, if you have another grand or so to spend, you might want to check out the AF100 or the FS100. I wouldn't recommend anything else in between for the kind of work you're doing. Hope this helps.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

jwhee0615

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 03:34:35 pm »

My suggestion: a used semi-pro HDV camera. Here's a discussion I had a few months ago: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/496187-new-video-camera-purchase-help.html

For about 2.5K, you will get a used Canon XHA1/G1 or JVC 200/250, etc - These are really good cameras for the money you're paying and they'll get the job done.

However, if you have another grand or so to spend, you might want to check out the AF100 or the FS100. I wouldn't recommend anything else in between for the kind of work you're doing. Hope this helps.

What about the XF100? Like I said budget is between $2000 and $4000 so I want to make sure its relatively good in low light.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:48:52 am »

Have been travelling so couldn't reply earlier...

On first impressions the XF100 looks good. It is probably the sweet spot you were hoping for.

A few things to watch out for:
1. The lens may not really be wide (or long) enough (only 30mm at the wide end)
2. Power Voltage is 7.4DC, so you'll effectively be stuck with limited battery options.
3. Almost non-existent ND filter (not necessary if you're always indoors)
4. Poor viewfinder and form factor for handheld - but maybe you'll be using a tripod most of the time.
5. Didn't see a mention of 'gain' settings...you'll need gain for those low light situations. Some of the reviews say the camera isn't very good with low light. Don't trust any camera's specs to shoot in low light - conduct your own tests to see if it fits in with your shooting conditions.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:53 pm »

Have been travelling so couldn't reply earlier...

On first impressions the XF100 looks good. It is probably the sweet spot you were hoping for.

A few things to watch out for:
1. The lens may not really be wide (or long) enough (only 30mm at the wide end)
2. Power Voltage is 7.4DC, so you'll effectively be stuck with limited battery options.
3. Almost non-existent ND filter (not necessary if you're always indoors)
4. Poor viewfinder and form factor for handheld - but maybe you'll be using a tripod most of the time.
5. Didn't see a mention of 'gain' settings...you'll need gain for those low light situations. Some of the reviews say the camera isn't very good with low light. Don't trust any camera's specs to shoot in low light - conduct your own tests to see if it fits in with your shooting conditions.

I don't know about this camera, though we have the fs100.  I like the camera, but the file is challanging.    It will moire almost as easy as the canons and it looks kind of video like.  Also highlights blow very, very, very easily.

IMO

BC

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:14:05 am »

I don't know about this camera, though we have the fs100.  I like the camera, but the file is challanging.    It will moire almost as easy as the canons and it looks kind of video like.  Also highlights blow very, very, very easily.
IMO

BC

Less moire is still moire (couldn't resist)!

Is the video-like look in spite of good lenses, lighting and production design, and grading?

bcooter

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:53:46 am »

Is the video-like look in spite of good lenses, lighting and production design, and grading?

YES

We use ziess A mounts (the a mount was the only avaialble mount at the time except the e-mount that had few lenses).

Full lighting with HMI's Kinos, LED's inside out, studio, location comparing the look of the sony at 30 to 2p fps, vs. RED, Panasonic and the Canon 5d2, the Sony looks like video.

Try it against those cameras.

The upside of the fs100 is the form factor, two xlr inputs, starts fast, sound bars and a nice lightweight system.

Downside . . . blows highlights like crazy, only goes so far in raising the db, color correction is all through a somewhat complex set of  menus, buttons like changing shutter speed, apature, are very sensitive and must be done very carefully.

IMO

BC

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:47:40 am »

That doesn't sound so good for Sony...
Pages: [1]   Go Up