Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson 7900/9900 Firmware - 17-AUG-11  (Read 9922 times)

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
New Epson 7900/9900 Firmware - 17-AUG-11
« on: September 08, 2011, 04:05:01 pm »

There is a new firmware for the Epson 7900/9900.
HN028B7 – dated 17-AUG-11 – Posted on 06-SEP-11.

Epson says ‘This update adds improved AID (Auto Ink Detection) functionality.’
Does anyone have more information regarding the change?

Jaxxphotos

Re: New Epson 7900/9900 Firmware - 17-AUG-11
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 06:36:51 am »

Installed it in a 7900 a couple weeks ago through Epson Tech support. So far no issues but it takes longer to shutdown than previous firmwares.

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:25:48 pm »

A definition of the AID function from the Epson specs...
"Epson's AID technology uses a sensor near the print head that counts the electrical charges on the ink droplets as they are fired. A lower than expected electrical charge means insufficient ink was fired, so the print head cleaning process starts automatically".
Automatic Nozzle Verification and Cleaning
 •Embedded sensors quickly verify nozzle status without using media
 •System automatically performs a head cleaning if required
 •Nozzle verification is performed in under 30 seconds
 •Nozzle verification process consumes less than 1 ml of ink
 •Can be set to automatically perform check before each job; periodically;
or can be turned off.
This is from an article I looked up which is part of press release when the 7900/9900 series was introduced 3 years ago.
Epson has since added more choices to the cleaning routine via firmware
Depending on your settings for Auto Clean selected, there are a number of possible scenerios that will take place

This new firmware update is the 4th one  that specifically mentions  the phrase,
"This update adds improved AID (Auto Ink Detection) functionality.’'
Seems to me there is still an issue taking place with these machines that Epson is very much aware of and is trying to fix through firmware updates.    

Apparrently there is still tweaking of this feature going on and it might mean that ink flow in the nozzles are still being misreported and unnecessary cleanings being done wasting ink.

A couple of articles I was able to find pertaining to the issue.
first one by  member Wayne Fox.

http://cwaynefox.com/myBlog/Printing/Entries/2009/10/16_New_firmware_for_epson_79_9900_printers.html

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Large-Format/Epson-Stylus-Pro-7900/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=3804

Latest update-
The firmware version reported at the printer’s control panel following this update will be: HN028B7,2.10, A000
Firmware version HN01108170 release notes:
19) Improved AID (Auto Ink Detection) functionality.

Previous updates also included in the above:
18) Improves wake from sleep operations.
17) Resolves SpectroProofer issue with page cut prior to printing verification ticket.
16) The WSD function is added to the Network menu in the printer’s control panel.
15) Improved AID (Auto Ink Detection) functionality.
14) Corrects issue with potential printer port lock up when canceling a print job.
13) Improved AID (Auto Ink Detection) functionality.
12)  Overall improved printer functionality.
11) Resolves issue when auto head alignment adjustments are repeated multiple times. Following this firmware update users should perform both uni- and bi-d all auto head alignments.
10) The AID (Automatic Ink Detection) system operation has been improved.
9) Network interface support is improved with this firmware version.
8 ) Resolves front panel paper selections that were not stored after printer restart.
7) Ensures proper print head initialization (vibration) prior to start of print.
6) New Control Panel function added enabling automatic black ink switching.
5) Removes automatic nozzle check from the printers power-on sequence.
4) Added manual modes for uni-direction and bi-direction alignments
3) Improves overall operation when using SpectroProofer.
2) Correction for possible paper handling issue on two specific media types:
Enhanced Adhesive Synthetic Paper
Enhanced Synthetic Paper
1) Added support for the use of 150ml UltraChrome HDR ink cartridges

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:28:21 pm by davidh202 »

dtsiapas

• http://www.tsiapas.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:55:18 am »

No clogging since I installed it on my 7900. Time will tell if this is just a coincidence or if this firmware can actually solve this problem.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 01:41:01 pm »

Have you folks changed your nozzle check to "On every job" with the install of the new firmware?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:51:02 pm by Dan Berg »

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 01:54:13 pm »

I still have any and all auto stuff turned off... I got into cleaning/checking loops months back before repairs, that would lead to a service call alert. Since them I only do manual nozzle checks and manual cleanings if necessary. If anyone here can report or advise better procedure by turning any of the auto features back on now, I will give it a try. I did install the new firmware..
On a side note, no attempt to load new firmware with a network connection to a PC has worked... the utility fails to find the printer every time. I have to roll it over to the PC and connect via USB to update firmware. Any insight on that problem would be appreciated.
That's my story...
Tyler

datro

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 02:51:48 pm »

Tyler,
I also had problems doing this firmware update from the network using the LFP Remote Panel tool.  Here's what I wrote in my printer log:

Updated to firmware HN028B7 - NOTE:  Had problems with this.  On first attempt using Remote Panel Firmware update, the update timed out and failed.  However on the printer itself I saw the message "Updating Firmware" (but no asterisks yet).  I let it go for 10 minutes, it finally gave a failure message on the printer panel to restart the printer.  I did this, however it went right back to "Updating Firmware" and it never seemed to complete.  I powered off the printer.  Next power up it went to "Updating Firmware" again.  I powered off, powered up in Service Mode, powered off, powered on and pushed the unload paper button repeatedly and finally got the printer to unload the roll paper.  At this point it seemed OK, but with the same firmware level as before.  I then tried using Remote Panel again to update the firmware, but it failed again.  It timed out again and failed but this time I got two identical popup messages:  "Unknown port....".  On the printer, it said "Updating Firmware".  I let this go for a while and then the update actually started (asterisks were visible).  The firmware concluded with "Successful" on the printer and it rebooted.  So it appears the firmware update succeeded eventually.

In my case I didn't have to fall back to USB and local firmware file as you did, but clearly there was something weird going on here.  I have verified all printer functions and so I think I'm now OK on the new firmware.

Regarding Auto Nozzle Check settings:  I've been running a while now with PERIODICALLY set for Auto Nozzle Check and this has so far been working well for me as a means to keep tabs on nozzles during a long printing session.  But like you, I operate manually as well, and always do a nozzle check at the start of any printing session.

Dave

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:00:53 pm »

I did the update, but was running ok before that.(knocks on wood).I have had the printer set for periodic auto checks and cleaning if necessary, and print about once a week on average.
I have not done a manual nozzle check and the auto function has done a cleaning 3 times in as many weeks before proceeding with the print queue through Qimage Ult.
I swear the printer uses less ink and is quicker than doing the cleanings manually (even pairs).
Printed last Saturday and then again today with perfect results.I got an empty VM notice today in the middle of a 5  print run ,put in the new cart and it kept on chugging until the prints were done.
I cannot attest to whether or not the update had any affect at all. I just keep my fingers crossed each time I turn on the machine, pat it, and praise it,and praise it, and hope it responds well to my affectonate words. ;-) ;D

MHMG

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:24:02 pm »

I cannot attest to whether or not the update had any affect at all. I just keep my fingers crossed each time I turn on the machine, pat it, and praise it,and praise it, and hope it responds well to my affectonate words. ;-) ;D

An eloquent assessment of today's DIY inkjet printmaking activities in general, no matter what equipment you have chosen to use!

cheers,
Mark
http:/www.aardenburg-imaging.com

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »

We just ran into a 9900 that continuously failed the Auto Nozzle Check and the corresponding cleaning that runs from the front panel. Epson said that there was probably a problem with the AID sensor grid and replacing the cleaning unit might be a solution. We ran this firmware update - it fixed the problem, and it also sets the default Auto Cleaning Times to 1 from a previous default of 3.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 01:23:11 am »

Have you folks changed your nozzle check to "On every job" with the install of the new firmware?
I've been using this setting on my 7900 since the previous firmware upgrade, and it has been working well.  I seem to get a clean about every 2 to 3 weeks before a job prints, and never had had to reprint a print because of failed nozzles.

Really nice to not worry about clogs and cleans ...

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »

I said a few months ago that I believed my machine is self aware.
The less I did to it,  setting it to auto and letting it do it's own thing, the better it behaved.   :D  

I'm truly hoping we will have smoothe sailing from now on.

As Wayne said...

"Really nice to not worry about clogs and cleans ..."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:23:46 pm by davidh202 »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 05:36:23 am »

My first report since the firmware update. This is on my 7900.
Nozzle check setting is "on every job". First 2 prints I ran yesterday did 2 full blown cleans,ugg.
Then again if the nozzles are clogged it would call for a clean.
Going to try it again this morning and will report back.

davidh202

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:29:51 pm »

The big difference I have noticed regarding having the settings to auto, is that even if the printer decides it needs to do a cleaning it goes right ahead and does it. This is opposed to in manual mode,sometimes telling me my carts are too low andneed to be switched with full carts before it will do a cleaning, (even a pairs cleaning).
At some points  in time I had as many as 4 carts that the machine indicated 'too low to allow cleaning'. At times, a few were at 1% and I then had to do the switing out twice before resuming printing with the old carts back in place again.
This is not only a time saver but it also helps eliminate the chance of damaging the seals on the carts causing depressurization, or actually introducing air in the lines.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:34:45 pm by davidh202 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up