Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting in New FCP X  (Read 6970 times)

billy

Exporting in New FCP X
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:57:44 pm »

hello, I am new to FCP X and live in a small town where hands on training is not available. I have tried several online tutorials but they all skip the basics and leave me frustrated. I am hacking my way thru this process and need some assistance.

I cannot figure out how to export a high quality version of a 3 second clip to post on my website. FREDJEANG and JOHN-S helped out in a previous thread by telling me a 5000 kb/s bit rate is preferred, thanks. But I cannot figure out even how to select the bit rate in the new FCP X.

I want to export a short 3 second clip that is 1000 pixels wide with high quality and post it to my my website ( the website company tells me .mov file with H264 compression is best ). How do I do that in the new FCP X? I am on a MAC running 10.6.8 if that matters and shooting a Canon 5dmk2.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:42:38 am by billy »

stewarthemley

Re: Exporting in New FCP X
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:23:20 am »

Try this for starters.

http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/

Then try a google on FCPX tutorials/forums and see if that helps.

I've been battling FCPX for a few weeks now and in the words of the Beatles' song "I have to admit it's getting better, better all the time. Can't get no worse."

Seriously, it's great once you get the feel of it. Good luck.

billy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:13:17 pm »

Try this for starters.

http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/

Then try a google on FCPX tutorials/forums and see if that helps.

I've been battling FCPX for a few weeks now and in the words of the Beatles' song "I have to admit it's getting better, better all the time. Can't get no worse."

Seriously, it's great once you get the feel of it. Good luck.

hey thanks but that didnt answer my question. that tutorial's export movie ddint show me what I need.

Can someone read my post above and supply an answer?

bcooter

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:16:05 am »

1.   Make sure you have quicktime 7 loaded on your machine (it's on a separate install folder on the operating software, i.e. snow leopard.)

2.  Go to Apple's website and buy quicktime 7 "pro" code. (it's actually an unlock code that gives full operation of export using quicktime 7.  (Quicktime 10 will not output).

3.  in Quicktime 7 (once you begin in the filters button there are settings.   Set to colorsync.

4.  In FCPX go to share and burn out a prorezz 422 HQ file in the native size as your edit.  (in other words if your timeline edit in FCP X is prorezz, 422, 24 fps, 1920 x 1080 those should be your "share" or in real world terms output settings.

5.  Once the prorezz file is burned out in it's desired location, open the .mov file in Quicktime 7.  (You can put the quicktime 7 icon in your doc and drag the movie icon you've just produced into the quicktime 7 icon.

6.  When quicktime 7 opens up with your movie play it to check for errors, color, tone, etc.

7.  In quicktime 7 go to the Export function and set it to Movie to quicktime movie.

8.  In the Use function don't touch it yet.

9.  Go to options button on the right in the window and click it.

10.  Another window will open.

11. In this window push the settings button.

12.  Another window will open and set compression to H264.

13.  Set bit rate from 3900 kps to 5000 kps.

14.  Set frame rate to current or 24 fps or 29.7 fps.

15.  Set key frame to automatic.

16.  Set the compressor quality slider from High to Best.

16.  In the lower right hand corner of this window click the blue ok.

17.  The next window go to size.

18.  Set your size to 1000 px x ?   (in other words use a calculator and if your native file is 1920 x 1080, divide 1000 by 1920 which equals .52 (52%).

19.  Multiple 52% x your shortest frame size (usually the vertical size of 1080 which mean your h264 output file size will be 562.5 px high, which means your final out put size will be 1000 x 562.5.

20 .  Click the blue OK.

21.  the underlying window will appear and if your video has sound check the sound box.

22.  On sound click settings and a new window will open.

23.  For Web set the sound to IMA 4:1, 48mhz and click OK

24.  The window will close and the previous window will open.

25.  Click box prepare for internet settings.

26.   Scroll through and set it for Fast Start Compressed Header (this will allow your video to play on the internet without a website wrapper.

27.  click the blue ok

28. The main underlying window will open and decide where you want to put your soon to be transcoded h264 movie.

29.  Click the blue save button.

20.  Let it process, check it when finished and your good to go.

BTW:  This information is available on the web, or spend a fair amount of money and buy Sorenson Squeeze.

BTW2:  I think I've covered everything, but try it a few times and also check for color and tone.  if too flat Quicktime 7 has a filter setting and you can change contrast etc.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:19:38 am by bcooter »

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 03:24:24 pm »

Here are some screen shots.

The numbers correspond to the B.Cooter previous post.

Started from action number 9 of his post
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:46:08 pm by fredjeang »

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 03:25:55 pm »

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 03:37:49 pm »

Also note: This pop-up quicktime window is always the same. (it only can differs if your settings differs but it's the same engine)

For ex here I'm exporting an in-out from a software that has nothing to do with Apple and the moment I call the QT options it will be the same steps to do. It would have been exactly the same pop-up from Avid, Edius or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:44:43 pm by fredjeang »

billy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »

all this info looks like the exact instructions I needed, thanks alot everyone and especially BC, I will try this on monday.

billy

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 12:13:05 pm »

"3.  in Quicktime 7 (once you begin in the filters button there are settings.   Set to colorsync."

OK I am beginning this process and have a roadblock; are you saying to check the box that says "Enable Final Cut Pro color compatibility" found in the PREFERENCES of Final Cut Pro 7? Check it or leave it Unchecked? It seems to read that if you check it color sync is not enabled, confusing me. Screengrab attached.

bcooter

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 12:27:40 pm »

Set up a folder and test it in every way possible.

There are no absolutes.

The FCP compatibility is suppose to work from FCP to Quicktime and back with the same look.    It does, though in quicktime it might look flat depending on your operating system.   Leopard quicktime has a different look from snow leopard quicktime, at least on my machines.

Once again, try it and try everything as many ways as you can and then you'll have an understanding.

Actually quicktime allows much more than you see on the outside, like masks and rotation, etc.

IMO

BC

fredjeang

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 12:28:07 pm »

Billy,

First and foremost, congrats!

Now you belong (like us) to the select club of: "welcome to the hassle of Apple's gamma shift".

You are going to like very much the services of this exclusive club very soon. (closest drugstore/headache pills/ or on the healphy side: yoga, meditation, Zen)

Answering your question: enable that option to start. Be preapared like James said for testings...and testings...and testings, with and without, up and down, it's a 3 dimensional experience. wysiNwyg

All my best and don't give-up.

The thing to keep in mind as a starter is that color correcting in FCP monitor is NOT showing the right colors and tend to over saturate and crush things that aren't. The system graphic card should be disabled and the way to do it is through calibrated pro monitor and Black Magic etc...
Maybe FCPX is better and solved a part of the prob but I wouldn't rely on that.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:00:33 pm by fredjeang »

pschefz

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »

couldn't this just be done in compressor? i think working in 10.7 and fcpx helps with consistent color...read somewhere, but not sure...i work in 10.7 and output from fcpx and compressor and have had no problems so far...
schefz.com
artloch.com

stewarthemley

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 01:40:36 pm »

+1 for compressor. Another app, like motion, that is good value IMO.

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 07:39:54 pm »

James, weren't you using Mpeg StreamClip before to convert PoRes to H264?  If so, why'd you switch?

Thanks,
CB

bcooter

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 10:07:33 pm »

James, weren't you using Mpeg StreamClip before to convert PoRes to H264?  If so, why'd you switch?

Thanks,
CB

I use streamclip when we are batching files on the close to rare occasion we shoot with the Canons or Sony, from h264 to Prorezz.

In regards to transcoding files for the web in different sizes, unless I was batching a lot of files,  I stay away from it because the streamclip settings don't exactly match my quicktime settings.

As far a using compressor, in FCP 7 I find it slow and cumbersome, (but mostly slow) so I assumed it would be the same in FCP 10.

Also for approval I usually burn out one mp4 file at 1100 px. across for web play (also one for download in a zip) and I burn out a wmv. file at the same size also for web play and download as some of my clients, or client's clients do not have quicktime loaded and are on windows.

IMO

BC

pschefz

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 01:50:49 am »

i believe the new version of compressor is 64 bit and has a couple of upgrades under the hood....well hidden i suppose because the interface is still the old/fcp look....but it seems to work fine...
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up