Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photobook Printing  (Read 1214 times)

Mjean

Photobook Printing
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:20:40 pm »

I am interested in having a photobook of my work published and was wondering if anyone knows of a place in Toronto that does high quality printing and book binding.  Should I do my own printing and find a place that would have the photographs bound - what is the best way of getting a book done?  Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Photobook Printing
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:27:00 pm »

I am interested in having a photobook of my work published and was wondering if anyone knows of a place in Toronto that does high quality printing and book binding.  Should I do my own printing and find a place that would have the photographs bound - what is the best way of getting a book done?  Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

This question gets asked all the time - do a search here on the forums and you will find many topics on it.

In short (my own findings) - if you only need to produce a few books and you are interested in the best possible quality then there is no substitute for printing your own on a pigment printer and having them bound into a book. Or, use one of the available kits from Moab. This will give you the highest possible no compromise quality - but volume is obviously low. Wether you consider the cost of them high or low will depend on your depth of your pocket.

If you need more than a few copies then you will likely want to investigate one of the many options out there on the market such as Blurb. However, as someone who spent a lot of time investigating books earlier this year (I am currently working on my first book for publication) I can tell you that even the very best of them are a very poor facsimile of a pigment fine art print. They market themselves as 'high quality'; however, if you are used to fine art pigment prints they are anything but. They are however 'cheap'.

Depending on your budget and again volume it may also be worth investigating going through a publisher. There are some out there that do produce very very good quality printing - but they are few and far between. Those that do a good job, typically do a very good job. Obviously this option is considerably more expensive than option one or two.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

John E

Re: Photobook Printing
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »

I believe Pikto is still located in Toronto. I had them do a book for me 3-4 years back, and I was quite pleased with the quality. Cost was a bit steep, plus I had to pay $80 U.S. to have it shipped to Colorado. I think Michael at one time had an article on this site about Pikto.

John

Edit: took me a minute to find it - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/pikto-books.shtml
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:42:06 pm by John E »
Pages: [1]   Go Up