Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grizzly in BC  (Read 7250 times)

howard smith

Grizzly in BC
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 04:55:22 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Mike, matt, there is no reason to be unreasonably afraid of bears or any other wild life.  Proper respect should take care of most problems.  The only really unfriendly interaction I have had with wild life (from my point of view) is I got bit on the thumb by a Blue Racer when I grabbed it by the tail.  I was asking for much more than the snake could give, but I learned a good lesson 45ish years ago.  Bears may appear to be OK with you a hunrded yards away as long as you are doing what they expect.  But remember, a bear can run faster than a horse for short distances, so a hundred yards isn't much space.   I am not afraid of bears, but I sure do respect them, especially when they are in charge.

I have seen wild life from very short distances by letting them come to me, when I was in full view.  I figure, and I may be wrong, that animals will come no closer to me than they are comfortable with.  I have been approached by moose, deer and bison much closer than my lens would focus with no problems.  I was uncomfortable at times, so I just sat still, didn't make any quick moves or eye contact and all was OK.  I look back at some great experiences but fully realize I was not in charge.  Giving up control can be very scary to some people.[/font]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up