Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subject isolation attempt  (Read 1780 times)

Rob/L

Subject isolation attempt
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:23:48 am »

An attempt to pay attention to subject isolation and background, following some helpful suggestions from here about an earlier, unrelated, picture. I didn't want to blur out the patterns in the background completely because I liked the texture.

Do you think this composition "works"?

The centre of the picture is not such an obvious point of interest as it would be some flowers. I wanted the bee to move around towards the middle, but it just wasn't interested - or at least I got fed up of waiting (this was hand held and it was not very comfortable.)

Regards
Rob

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Subject isolation attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42:55 am »

The thing is that my eye doesn't go towards the bee.

It keeps being attracted by the upper large flower and then collides right away with the upper edge of the image that I find to be a bit too close.

This could work as a flower image with a bit more breathing space on top, but it doesn't work for me as a bee image.

Also, I find the background to be a bit distracting in terms of bokeh quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:50:30 am »

I have the same comment about the bee and the large flower. If the main subject was the bee then the large flower acts as a distraction and remove the focus from your subject. I'm not bothered too much by the bokeh of the background but it adds to the distraction to take my eyes even more off the bee.
Francois

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:15:01 pm »

No it doesn't for me. I'm not sure where you want me to look Rob, the bee and flowers compete for attention and neither wins.   

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 05:28:40 pm »

Unfortunately, Rob, I have to agree with the other commenters.  Part of the problem is that the yellow of the bee blends into the yellow in the background, and that yellow is contrasted with the bright magenta of the flower.  I didn't even notice the bee until I saw the comment about it. 

No offense intended, but to my eye this is a snapshot that holds little interest to me, and doesn't warrant a second glance.  The flower dominates the frame, with little else going on.  It does nothing to hold my attention.  Perhaps if there was something more included in the image, it would be more interesting, but as-is, it's just another flower picture.  Bokeh rarely makes an uninteresting image better.  It just becomes a gimmick. 

I hope this helps you, because I do not mean to offend with my comment.

Rob/L

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:24:49 pm »

Thanks for all those replies. Certainly no cause for any offence! I appreciate your informative remarks. I had wondered myself whether the insect and flower were too much in competition visually, and I noticed looking a bit more at this that there is almost an empty space in the middle of the frame, which does not hold much attention.

I really like the colour and texture of the background. In particular, the background was tall grasses in evening sunlight and I wanted to retain some of the pattern to represent how I saw that. I was trying to get a balance between representing that pattern while still isolating the main subject. But I can see why the image doesn't have impact from the main subject.

It's very interesting to see your responses here. The insect seemed more obvious to me, but I suspect this is because I was so aware of it at the time I took the shot. I was pleased to get some of the technical aspects I wanted  with this shot, but it's primarily the composition itself that I'm trying to get a better feel for. Your objective comments are a real help in thinking about this.

Regards. Rob

Michael West

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »

Bees are seldom cooperative are they?

I can't think of an opportunity that requires any more "photographic patience" than waiting for a bee to fly through or alight on the right "space or place", but sooner or later you will find that proper moment.

popnfresh

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:43:48 pm »

It's an interesting photo, but I see several problems. In order for the bee to work in this composition I think it needs to be in the middle of the top flower or not there at all. The color is a little oversaturated in places. Finally, the parts that are in focus are the least interesting visually. The spiky pineapple-looking parts are more interesting. Perhaps a bit more DOF to bring into focus all of the large flower would have been better.

shutterpup

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:21:48 pm »

Even after the comment about the bee, I had to hunt to find it. Clearly the bee is secondary.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:03:25 pm »

Why not just move the bee to where you want it?

JohnKoerner

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:54:47 am »

An attempt to pay attention to subject isolation and background, following some helpful suggestions from here about an earlier, unrelated, picture. I didn't want to blur out the patterns in the background completely because I liked the texture.

There is nothing wrong with doing what you like to do, but the "texture" (not to mention the color) of your background clash is a displeasing way with your subject.

Sorry, but no, not at all.

To begin with, why would you "crop" your image like that? It's too tight on top and it's just a square box rather than maintaining the traditional photographic dimensions. I think you should have taken the shot in traditional "portrait" mode, lengthwise with the flower.

Secondly, you took the photograph in such a way as the shadow of the flower covered parts of itself, which means you chose the wrong time of day to get your shot. Some people like to use reflectors to fill-in the shadows, but I prefer just to get the shot at the right time of day when the natural light enhances the subject rather than detracts from it.

Third, you keep trying to take flower shots with a little bitty 40mm lens. "Subject isolation" will never occur with a lens like that; instead you will forever get so-so shots with huge, ugly, confusing backgrounds. At some point you will simply have to face the fact that it's just the wrong tool for the job.

The centre of the picture is not such an obvious point of interest as it would be some flowers. I wanted the bee to move around towards the middle, but it just wasn't interested - or at least I got fed up of waiting (this was hand held and it was not very comfortable.)
Regards
Rob

This blog article may help you take better flower photos. Even though the article is about photographing butterflies, just substitute the word "flowers" for "butterflies" and the same principles will apply. Unfortunately, if you notice, you will see that your image pretty much falls in line with the "Bad Example" photograph I have in there, almost to a "T" ...

If you make the time of day and color of the light work for you, you will improve your chances of success dramatically ... but if you make the time of day and the color of the light work against you, it will be hard to come out with a nice shot ... especially if you're using the wrong tool for the job.

Constructively said,

Jack

Pages: [1]   Go Up