Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR (LR3) and Panasonic G2 and GH2 raw files?  (Read 1731 times)

meyerweb

ACR (LR3) and Panasonic G2 and GH2 raw files?
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:28 pm »

I'm a  new Lightroom user.  Other than the rather obtuse reliance on poorly documented and hidden quick key commands, and the sometimes quirky and non-standard interface constructs, I can definitely see it's value, especially for handling large numbers of images.  Anyway...

I shoot with both Canon EOS and Panasonic micro 4/3rds gear, depending on the situation.  All my bodies are, in theory, supported by LR 3.4.1 and ACR 6.4.1. When I use the Develop module on a CR2 file, the Camera Calibration shows me Adobe Standard, ACR, and several Canon specific camera profiles.

But when I do the same with an RW2 file from the Panasonics, the only option in the calibration is Adobe Standard.  If ACR supports these formats (and it's supposed to), why isn't there an ACR option like there is for Canon files? And why doesn't it show the various camera modes?  Does "support" mean something different for files other than Nikon and Canon, and a few other major vendors?

Thanks for your help.

kwalsh

Re: ACR (LR3) and Panasonic G2 and GH2 raw files?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:33:12 pm »

For a few cameras (Nikon and Canon included) ACR has some profiles that attempt to mimic the in camera processing modes.  It is not a standard feature though, they've only done it on some of the most popular models.

Part of the point of RAW processing is to break away from the restrictions of in camera processing so I've never really had any use for the extra profiles with my Canon.  I could see how someone might like them as a starting point though.

Anyway, "support" doesn't mean they include any profiles beyond the standard profile from Adobe.

Ken

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:34:53 pm »

If ACR supports these formats (and it's supposed to), why isn't there an ACR option like there is for Canon files? And why doesn't it show the various camera modes?

Because Canon has various "looks" you can set in camera and Adobe has taken the time to replicate those looks in the vender matching DNG profiles. The GH2 (and other camera bands) may not have the same sort of vender matching profiles because Panasonic (or other venders) don't have various "looks" you can dial in the camera. What will show in the DNG profile depends on the camera...all cameras will have Adobe Standard but only cameras that have specific looks setting will have more options–and even then it's camera by camera...

meyerweb

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:03:07 am »

Thanks.  The GH2 does have various "looks" (called film modes), but I can understand Adobe not copying them.  I am still wondering what the difference is between Adobe Standard and Adobe Camera Raw, both of which show up in LR when processing a Canon file.  On a Panny file, the ACR option isn't there.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up