Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 on ethernet  (Read 30390 times)

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
Re: Epson 3880 on ethernet
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 02:06:52 pm »

Have the same problem with 7900 and Win7 pro 64. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with Epson tech support, finally they sent someone out to replace the main board on the printer. Problem still persists. Their conclusion is that it was my computer or network and I should try print from another machine. I ran out of time, switched to USB and have now gone outside of the 1 year warranty. Sorry to be of no help, but at least you know you are not alone  :)

jonasandersson

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 05:27:01 am »

Hi, have you solved the problem yet? If so, I would very much like to hear how you did it. I have exactly the same problem, everything works just fina until I restarts my computer. I "solved" it by just puttning the computer in sleep mode.

/Jonas

howardm

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 08:44:16 am »

I'll say again that the MOST probable cause of that is that the printer by default is set to get it's IP address dynamically from your router (ie. DHCP server) and during the driver installation, it uses that IP address.  Time passes and the printer's address changes (DHCP has a timeout or you power off the printer) and the computer is stuck w/ the old address in the the driver config.  The fix is to assign the printer it's address manually and use that during the driver instantiation.

John McDermott

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 04:38:03 am »

No, unfortunately, I have not found a solution other than reinstalling the 3880 driver each time I want to print.

In response to the last message, I have long ago assigned a static address (192.168.1.119) to the printer but it has made no difference.
John E. McDermott

Farmer

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 05:38:45 am »

As I said back in October,

"John - I can only reiterate that to diagnose correctly we need a 100% accurate network map.  That is, every item on the network and how it connects physically to any other item on the network.  Once we know the path between things and the devices involved, then we can proceed."

I know this isn't always easy for folks who don't have a technical background in the area of networking, but that doesn't change the fact that this is the only way anyone here is really going to be able to resolve the problem.
Phil Brown

Steve House

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 08:32:40 am »

No, unfortunately, I have not found a solution other than reinstalling the 3880 driver each time I want to print.

In response to the last message, I have long ago assigned a static address (192.168.1.119) to the printer but it has made no difference.
  Go to the printers section in Windows, right click on the entry for the Epson printer, choose "properties" and look at the ports page.  Make sure the port with the check box turned on is selected in the list and click "configure port." Make sure the IP address listed is the IP address assigned to the printer.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 11:16:52 am »

I have determined that the network is not the problem as I can access the printer just as  I should be able to from two other computers on the network, one running Windows 7 and the other Windows XP. Therfore the problem must be on my main computer (a Dell XPS420 with quad CPU and 8GB RAM).

The main computer accesses the 3880 just as it should and everything works until I power down the computer (if I power down and repower up the printer it makes no difference). Upon power up I get a communications error from the printer if I try to print something. However, the status monitor displays the remaining ink, so there has to be communication between the computer and the printer for that: a puzzle. If I uninstall and reinstall the printer driver (yes, I got the latest version from Epson's website) everything works fine again until the next power down.

So I guess that I am stuck with uninstalling and reinstalling, which is only a minor pain. Clearly something is interferring with the printer driver om my main computer but I'll be dipped if I can figure out what.

My sincere thanks to everyone who chimed in and tried to help. I appreciate it.

Hi,

I've been following this thread. Does your computer have one or more so-called firewalls installed? Windows has a built-in firewall, and several other vendors also include this utility with anti-virus and/or anti-spyware software, or just as a stand alone application. If there is one or more firewalls on the computer try disabling the firewall or firewalls, without restarting and see if the problem persists.

Also, since you know the ip address of the printer try a ping test. Open a command prompt and in the prompt type:

Ping and the ip address of the printer as example

Ping 192.168.1.5 or whatever the ip address is.

Ping should generate a reply of some type. Post the reply as it will help to show if there is a communication problem.

It’s unlikely that the printer’s ip address will change when you reboot your computer. something on the computer is probably interfering with communication with the printer.

Andrew Makiejewski

• Photography by Andrzej Stefan Makiejewski
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 10:02:51 am »

Sorry to hear you are still having problems, also I am not repeating what others have already said (some stuff I know has been).

The printer must have a second hard set IP, otherwise it's IP can and will change.

In the router you must limit the range of IPs that will used to be assigned to devices requesting an IP via DHCP. I typically will allow the unit to assign 192.168.0. 10 to 192.168.0. 199.102.168.200 to 192.168.0.254 I leave for static IP that I assign to my devices (printer, gateway, WAP and so on.

You should be able to ping the printer from each computer. Many thing can cause for this to fail. A very common one is that the subnet mask is not set correctly. It should be 255.255.255.0 for use with our home routers.

Also you need to be use that you install the printer driver in the correct manner. You will be printing to the printer via IP printing.

I have included some screen shots of my setting that may be of help.

Also as someone has mentioned already, capture the setting and show us.

Andrew

Capture the moment.

ymc226

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 02:30:31 pm »

I know next to nothing about computers butI set up my 3880 on my home ethernet network via a powerline adapter to a Time Capsue router. My computer which I print from is my laptop which is mostly off but I don't have the problem you are having.  I spoke with a "techy" at work and he stated that even if you assign a fixed DHCP address, that address may be reassigned if it is the low end of the range.  If your DHCP range is 150-200, I would try reassigning 199 as there would be almost no change of having that address reassigned unles you have 49 devices on your network.

John McDermott

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 10:27:52 pm »

The recent flurry of responses to this thread have motivated me to try again to determine the cause of this annomally, I elected to change my network from one where some IP Addresses were assigned by the DHCP server to one of exclusively static IP Addresses. I had previously assigned static IPs to my two printers ( The 3880 and an HP Officejet Pro L7780 all-in-one). I changed the three computers on the net to static IPs and tried to access the 3880. When the printer driver is newly installed it works fine. When I reboot the PC, it can no longer print to the 3880, but it can receive ink level information, just as it was before. Incidently, I can ping the printer at any time at its static IP (192.168.1.119) and get a postive response, so it cannot be a case of not being able to locate the printer. It must be a case of the software losing track of the printer's IP address.

I'm about ready to give up again. Incidently, at the beginning part of this thread i HAVE provided a verbal "map" of my network. However, given the there are NO other annomalies on this network in any area, I do not think that it is a network issue. I think I will try calling Epson again.
John E. McDermott

degrub

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »

i have had a finicky HP printer running off of NAS box. i installed Bonjour and have not had any issues except when an MS update broke the connection once. A re-install of Bonjour fixed it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 11:36:02 am »

….It must be a case of the software losing track of the printer's IP address.

It’s possible, but not likely. Have you checked for and disabled any installed firewall software on your XPS420? Windows has its own firewall. Many anti-virus and anti-spyware packages also have a firewall feature. Some firewall packages are installed separately. If one or more firewalls is blocking one or more ports, this could be the issue. And you've ruled out many other possibilities.

Ping uses the ICMP protocol. That you get a response from the printer means that ICMP traffic is working okay in both directions. But just because that works, doesn’t mean that another port or protocol is not blocked.

If you could find out what port(s) and what protocols are used by the software, you could test them and find out where the communication issue is.

Randy Carone

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 11:52:43 am »

Try uninstalling the HP printer and re-boot. HP printers/drivers can sometimes capture ports that are not assigned to their printer.
Randy Carone

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

Farmer

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 04:34:47 pm »

John - I'm sorry, but the "verbal" map you gave early on is obviously incomplete and does not detail exactly how everything connects to everything else.

I understand that you're frustrated, but it's 100% guesswork at this stage until we have a complete map :(
Phil Brown

John McDermott

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »

I'm convinced its not a network issue.
John E. McDermott

Farmer

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 03:26:37 am »

That's fine.  I'm convinced it is, because I've been doing this for a very, very long time and there's nothing been posted that indicates anything else.

I hope you resolve it :-)
Phil Brown

tmphoto

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 12:31:44 am »

I'm about ready to give up again.
Make sure that the computer you are using to print is connected with a network cable. If you have a wireless connection it should be disabled.
Power down all your equipment (computers, printers, routers, etc.)
Power up your router
Power up your printer
Power up the computer you are using to print.
Can you reproduce the problem?
Yes, replace the cables and try again,
yes, power down the computer and try again with another computer
Can, you reproduce the problem?
Yes, remove the router and connect the computer directly to the printer (network connection)
Yes, reset the network card on your printer (assuming it has a reset button)
yes, try the same configuration with another computer
yes, get a USB print server that supports your OS and use that instead.
For Windows this one works well:
http://www.trendnet.com/emulators/TEW-MP2U/index.htm
The above is a demo of the actual server. The driver creates a virtual USB port on your machine. Works better than a network card in my opinion. The one I use is the version with no wireless support.

If it works fine with a wired configuration but the problem is with a wireless configuration then most likely you will need to hire someone to help configure your network. New equipment may be needed.

tmphoto

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 12:43:11 am »

It's my understanding that your firewall is configured correctly. You may want to do a test with the firewall disabled on your computer.  I am also assuming that all your IP addresses are static.

dreed

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:51 am »

I suspect that when your computer starts up that the driver tries to access the printer before the networking in Windows is ready to support the attempt and it treats the error as a hard error rather than a soft error. In earlier versions of Windows you would just disable and then enable the printer to clear the error.

When you install the driver, all of the networking is up and running so the driver has no problems communicating with the printer.

Something else to try.

After booting up, go into "Control Panels", "System and security", then "Administrative Tools".

Double click on "Services" and scroll down until you see "Print Spooler". Try restarting this service - right click on "Print Spooler" and then restart.

If that does fix the problem then it may be necessary to change the way in which this service starts - either to "Automatic (Delayed)" or "Manual".

You have not mentioned if you changed your PC to also have an IP address that is statically assigned - if you haven't, also try that as this may result in Windows configuring the networking more quickly and it thus being available when it tries to initialise the print driver.

To see if your print driver has actually reported an error message that might be useful, under "Administrative Tools" is another tool called "Event Viewer". Under "Event Viewer (Local)" you should see "Windows Logs". Expand that and examine what has been recorded inside each of "Application" and "System". There's no guarantee that there will be something present but it is worth taking a look.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up