Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 on ethernet  (Read 30388 times)

John McDermott

Epson 3880 on ethernet
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:42:00 pm »

I have an Epaon 3880 connected via ethernet to a home network that has 3 computers also attached. I also have a Linksys 3000 wireless router and a Linksys 5 connection switch. Everything works properly and I can print merrily away on the 3880.

However, if I shut down or reboot the computer I am printing from, it can no longer find the 3880 on the net upon reboot. I get an error that says the communications could not be established with the 3880. The only way to use the printer that I have found is to reinstall the driver from scratch, and then all is well until the next time it is necessary to shut the computer down.

A strange side issue is that under these circumstances I can activate the printer montior which displays the remaining ink quanties. I would think that this requires establishing communications with the printer.

I have called Epson support but couldn't get past the first tier and they didn't have a clue - just offered to swap out the printer for a refurbished one. I'm not keen on that option so I decided to ask here.

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on?

By the way - windows 7, 8GB RAM, 4 quad processor.

John E. McDermott

Farmer

Re: Epson 3880 on ethernet
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:14:29 am »

John - we need a network diagram - either literally a diagram or a very good written description of what connects to what (but a real diagram is usually easier to work with).

Also, are you using DHCP to assign the address to the printer (or to any devices) or fixed IP addresses?  Do you have more than one sub domain (for example, 192.168.0.X as well as 192.168.1.X - that sort of thing).

The more information about your network we have the easier to determine where the problem is (it's almost certainly not a hardware fault - swapping the printer won't fix it, which you've already guessed :-)
Phil Brown

fetish

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:07:01 am »

Like Farmer mentioned, it's the router's DHCP doing the auto assignment.
You should access the router's control panel and set the printer's MAC address to a reserved IP address so it'll be permanently tied there instead of skipping around various addresses.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:16:22 am »

As noted, the issue is that your printer is set to automatically obtain it's ethernet IP address from the router instead of it being permanent (or 'static').  That automatically chosen address can and does change if the computer/router/printer is power cycled etc.  So the answer is to (as noted) either assign the address manually in the printer (via the control panel) and then in the computer itself, or, if the router allows it, you essentially 'reserve' an address for the printer.  You reserve it by mapping what is called the MAC (no, not a Macintosh) address of the printer (a fixed, burned in #) to what the router will give out.  That way, your printer always gets the same address but you dont have to mess w/ the printer front panel and/or the Win/Mac hassle of setting up a true static address.

I have my 3800 on a static address on my iMac. 

Once you have a reserved or static address, you will want to go back through the computer's 'Add a printer' wizard so the address gets set in the printer driver.

John McDermott

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:11 pm »

It has taken me a little while to try all the suggestions that you made (thank you) as other things in life keep interfering with my hobby.

First of all, my network is fairly simple. One domain 192.168.1.x. On one side of the room are 3 computers connected through a Linksys gigabit switch: my main computer with quad processors, 8GB RAM and Windows 7; a lesser computer with Windows 7 that my wife uses for internet & email; and an old computer with Windows XP kept around to run legacy equipment (i.e., scanner). The switch is connected through a 50' cable to a Linksys E3000 wireless router with a 4 connection switch incorporated. Connected via these ethernet connections are the Epson 3880 and an HP 7700 All in One printer plus a laptop computer running Windows XP. Incidently, the HP 7700 runs flawlessly.

When I first install the Epson 3880 printer driver (obtained from the Epson website) everything works. However, when I power down the computer it gives a "communications problem" error message and I cannot print to it. The strange thing is that it can communicate to get the ink level information.

I have tried disabling the DHCP server in the router. The entire network stopped working. I tried assigning static networks addresses to the computer. The network stopped working. I reserved the 3880 MAC address in the router. No effect. I have used the Epsonnet Config V3 software to assign a static address to the 3880. No effect.

So I am stumped at this point.
John E. McDermott

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 04:42:46 pm »

What happens if you turn the Epson off while you reboot, or turn the Epson on and off after you reboot (with your original network configuration)?

If I had to hazard a wild-assed guess, it would be that the problem has to do with the fact that your computer is connected to the router via a switch instead of directly, but I am not sure why that would be, since I'm not a network wonk.  But I bet if you connect the computer directly to the router you will not have the problem.  Do you have enough router ports to run a dedicated line between the PC and the router?

degrub

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:27 pm »

when you assign static addresses you need to have a range of numbers reserved, ie not available to DHCP for its use. An easy way to do that is to go into the router configuration under the DHCP section and where it gives you the option to pick a starting address and either ending address or # of users, pick a starting address of something like 192.168.1.21 and an ending address of 192.168.1.50 ( it may only give the option for max users - pick 30 for this example)
Then assign, at the epson printer, to 1) not use DHCP , 2) manual configure the TCP/IP address to 192.168.1.100  (outside the range that DHCP will use, don't pick a number higher than x.x.x.239 or lower than x.x.x.5 to stay away from internal addresses used by the router and wireless) for example, and enter the default gateway address of 192.168.1.1, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 in the printers network configuration page.

Then reinstall the epson driver. you should be good to go.

What was described before about not being able to locate the  printer  is what i would expect from a changing ip address. The windows drivers assign a port using that address during printer discovery, so when the tcp/ip address changes the driver would not be able to locate it. It is likely that the epson status software is not using tcp/ip to talk with the printer, so that is why it works. it probably queries the network using a different protocol, and finds the printer each time.

Unmanaged consumer level switches are usually transparent to the network unless you have set up a Virtual LAN or other static routing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:27:15 pm by degrub »

malam

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:40 pm »

John, I have the same problem.  I have a Linksys E3200 with dual bands and since I installed my 3880 about three weeks ago, I've had to re-install the drivers a couple of times.   The problem is not with the Epson printer.  I also have an iPad2 that connects to the same Router and I've been having problems with the iPad2 also.   My solution was to go into the Routers configuration and disable the 2.4G band.   Its a week now and have not had any problems with either the 3880 or the iPad2.   I know its only a week, but you can try this solution and see if it resolves your problem too.

John McDermott

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:45:47 pm »

I tried the setup that degrub suggested and the problem remains the same. I set the DHCP range to 150 to 200. My Epson 3880 is 192.16.1.119 and my HP 7700 All in One printer is 192.168.1.130, both static addresses. The DHCP assigned 173, 174, 175, & 176 to my 4 computers and everything worked correctly except that when I power down the computer and then power it up it can't communicate with the 3880. Incidently, the HP 7700 works fine, no problem when rebooting.

I can't disable the 2.4 band as my smartphone uses it.

I'm really stumped by this one. Thanks to all who tried to help. I'll keep pulling the thread searching for an answer.
John E. McDermott

fetish

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:26:08 pm »

when you reboot your computer, the epson is still powered on all the way yes?
does it still show up connected to the router in the router control panel's dhcp list with its assigned address (192.168.1.119)?

howardm

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »

the OP indicated that both his printers were statically assigned so neither would show up in the routers DHCP assigned list.

there was a small typo where he indicated the 3880 was 192.16.x.y but I think he just dropped the 8 from 168 when typing.

Epson does use some odd perverted EpsonTCPIP protocol but who knows what subtle difference(s) there are.

What is the subnet mask and gateway set for on the Epson?

Farmer

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »

Epson doesn't use a proprietary protocol.  Setup a Standard TCP/IP Port and it works - there are no special requirements.

I'll go back to my origial comment - we need a proper network diagram, otherwise this isn't going to be resolved without physically seeing the setup.
Phil Brown

howardm

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »

I'm not saying it's incompatible but there is something 'different'.  The driver clearly is marked 'EpsonTCP'.  I have not bothered to use Wireshark and disassemble the packets.

Anyway, the OP's issue is odd and it should all work.  It's probably something fairly simple.

fetish

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 10:51:02 pm »

i'm suspecting it's the port configuration of the computer's side that's causing the issue.

AFairley

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 11:22:46 pm »

I'm still waiting to hear whether bypassing the switch and connecting the printer directly to the router has any effect on the situation.  The methodical way to troubleshoot is to eliminate as many variables as you can, and bypassing the switch will remove the switch from the equation.  But if the OP wants to take a troubleshoot with more balls in the air that there need to be, that's OK with me.

howardm

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 08:43:22 am »

I didn't notice that there was a 5port mini-switch between the Linksys E3000 and the printer.  Yea, temporarily take that out of the circuit
and directly connect the computer and the printer to the E3000.  Heck, for that matter, you could connect the computer DIRECTLY to the 3880
w/o any routers/switches and test that configuration out (you wouldn't have internet access of course during this test)

What specific model 5 port mini-switch are you using?

Another thought is 'what is connected between the E3000 and the cable/DSL/FIOS wire?'  I'm assuming there is some sort of modem-y
thing which *may* in fact be running its own DHCP server (ie. you may have 2 DHCP servers on the network but don't realize it)

kim

• http://www.digitalphotoguide.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 08:01:21 am »

I have a Windows 7 machine with a 3800 on ethernet so it can all be made to work, it's just that one or more settings in your particular setup are wrong.
One thing that no-one has mentioned is that when you set up the printer queue on the PC to use the 3800 you need to set the IP address of the printer in there. The OP said the IP address of the 3800 is 192.16.1.119  although there is a typo here and it ought to be something like 192.168.1.119   

To manually set up the printer queue in Windows 7:
- from the printers page  Add Printer
- then - and this is very important  - choose the "Add a local printer option"  DO NOT choose the "Add Network printer option"
- Create a new port with "standardTCP/IP port" from the drop down box
- Then add the IP address (192.168.1.119  in the case of the OP) and put a description in the "Port name" field, for example Bobs-port
From then on the options to add the rest of the printer settings should be straightforward

UgashikBob

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 02:15:54 am »

I have the same problem with a new 3880 directly attached by ethernet cable to the router. Everything works fine untill you power down the printer and DHCP assigns other addresses then it will not communicate. There has been the suggestion to reserve addresses in the router and I don't see how this will work unless you tie the printer to the same IP address every time since the port config in the print driver is a static address you assign. Every time I power up the printer I have to run three sheets of paper to print out the Network configuration to get the printers IP address then manually configure the port address in the print driver under Win 7 to the same address for it to work.  When configurating the print driver if you try to delete the port so you can add a new port with whatever IP address you get from printing the network config it says the device is busy and won't let you delte the port. Tried it directly after boot with nothing running with the same result. The last thing I did to get it to work was manually config the printer to an address outside my normal range of usage then check it with a ping command then manually config the Win 7 print driver by changing the port address since you can't delete it and add another like it leads you to believe. I don't see how the auto printer configuration at the printer ushing DHCP could ever work unless nothing changes in your network.

John McDermott

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 02:34:12 pm »

I been trying everything everyone has suggested to no avail. Let me recap where I am:

I have determined that the network is not the problem as I can access the printer just as  I should be able to from two other computers on the network, one running Windows 7 and the other Windows XP. Therfore the problem must be on my main computer (a Dell XPS420 with quad CPU and 8GB RAM).

The main computer accesses the 3880 just as it should and everything works until I power down the computer (if I power down and repower up the printer it makes no difference). Upon power up I get a communications error from the printer if I try to print something. However, the status monitor displays the remaining ink, so there has to be communication between the computer and the printer for that: a puzzle. If I uninstall and reinstall the printer driver (yes, I got the latest version from Epson's website) everything works fine again until the next power down.

So I guess that I am stuck with uninstalling and reinstalling, which is only a minor pain. Clearly something is interferring with the printer driver om my main computer but I'll be dipped if I can figure out what.

My sincere thanks to everyone who chimed in and tried to help. I appreciate it.
John E. McDermott

Farmer

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »

John - I can only reiterate that to diagnose correctly we need a 100% accurate network map.  That is, every item on the network and how it connects physically to any other item on the network.  Once we know the path between things and the devices involved, then we can proceed.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up