Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GH2 C mount within crop mode  (Read 6981 times)

fredjeang

GH2 C mount within crop mode
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:11:00 pm »

Am I right if using the crop mode will avoid the image circle "problem" with the widest C mount lenses on the GH2 ? (understanding that a wide will become a tele). He he...I have a sweet view on a Bolex 12mm

I've been told by a cineast who work on Alexa that the crop mode in the GH2 is way better than the normal mode. I don't know if the guy exagerated a bit (not his style normaly) but he told me that if I was doing a blind test I wouldn't be able to recognised the shots from the Alexa and the ones from the GH2 in crop mode in terms of image precision. It seems also totally moiré free.

I need to investigate this feature.

What is the multiplication factor in crop mode?

Is it much more critical to focus?

Do you keep a good shallow dof?

and more importantly: where the hell is that crop mode in the user's manual ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:21:24 pm by fredjeang »

Robert Moore

Re: GH2 C mount within crop mode
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:13:18 pm »

There is no degradation of the picture with EX Tele mode as it samples a true 1920x1080 part of the chip to maintain HD file.

Here is Michael's take on it:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh2_11_mode_revealed.shtml

Crop yields 2.6x over m43s so 5.2x over lens 35mm equivalent length.

Page 67 in the manual.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:50:59 am by Robert Moore »

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:24:04 am »

Thanks!

Got it.  Very powerfull feature indeed. Combined with C1-C2-C3 it's so easy to get direct access.

I'm not sure anybody will see the difference at lower isos in the 1:1 mode, it's there but frankly for the pixels maniacs and, as MR pointed, at lower isos.

Tried with a 37mm and yeah, focussing hand held as expected is much more critical but still usable, with the Zeiss 135 forget it.

The very positive thing of this, is located in e-bay; shhht because the market is already speculative enough when it comes to m4/3 mount but everybody with common sense can draw his own conclusions and know what to look for discretly.

But to add more confusion, if you engaged the ETC in the menu, you'll notice that there is just below the digital zoom mode function. It's possible to combine both but then with manual lenses it's virtually impossible to get focus when you mixed with DZ. That's frankly confusing and I ketpt disabled the DZ but a doubt still there.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:38:41 am by fredjeang »

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:30:52 pm »

Absolutly John. ETC is not great at higher isos but very good at lower ones. The fact that it disables the HDMI is somewhere understandable.

Also agree about C mount. There are an incredible amount of craperies and some truly great oportunities. I'm also tired of hacking, of adapters and e-baying stuff, don't get me wrong. The only reason why I'm there is budget reason. I can't have it all for the moment and beleive me that if budget was a little more stable, I won't think twice in buying proper Zeiss cine lenses and a Red camera.

But...reality is very different. The other day I was looking at Recuenco motion works, is more of less of my generation just a little older than me and it's just incredible the background he has for his young age. I'm looking at me and what did I acheived? Nothing. All I can do is doing my best.

About the infinity focussing, I think it's been years since I haven't had to do it so it's not a limitation in my personal approach, but yes, I understand perfectly your point.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:25:22 am by fredjeang »
Pages: [1]   Go Up