Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Powerphase FX+ IR-Filter  (Read 3805 times)

dietmarhammerschmid

Phase One Powerphase FX+ IR-Filter
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:21:10 am »

I use my Powerphase FX with a B+W 486 IR cutoff filter.
The filter works very fine, but when shooting wideangle (Super Angulon 47XL) i get massive cyan color shift in the corners.
Are there color shifts with the Phase One AR1 filter as well when using wide angle lenses?
I think the AR1 Filter is a pretty old product - Are there some other (maybe better) options from Tiffen (Tiffen standard hot mirror) or Schott (BG 38, BG 39)?

i want to use the Powerphase FX for architecture photography, so i need a IR Filter, that works perfect with wide angle lenses.

best regards,
Dietmar

ced

Re: Phase One Powerphase FX+ IR-Filter
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:57:31 am »

My guess is that the filter is too thick when having to use wide angle lenses and finding thinner runs the risk of easy breakage.
Choose your method of pain. :)

dietmarhammerschmid

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:20:04 am »

Thanks for the link!

Did you use the CC1 filter with wide angle lenses?
Do you have any color shift in the corner?

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 01:32:16 am »

Also http://howardglassco.thomasnet.com/viewitems/schott-filter-square-glass/schott-filter-square-glass-2?&forward=1 if you want square filters cut to whatever size you want. Jason there is very helpful.

Kumar

ClivePhoto

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:17:46 am »

I know it's been a while but I'm sure someone else will come along searching for answers to the same problem some time or another. I overcame this one by buying a filter from (I think) Leaf and fitting it to the back of the lens with an elastic band (which worked because it's square, if you have a round filter you'll have to try something else). One day I'll find a better way but like all temporary measures it works well enough to carry on with. I can't imagine how much a filter large enough to fit on the front of a wide angle would cost.

I love the way PhaseOne try to pretend that it's highly unusual for their IR filters to disintegrate even though they've never been used (didn't need it in the studio) and have been stored in the box with the back which strangely enough has not found itself left in a humid atmosphere for prolonged periods. Or ever.

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:42:56 pm »

The B+w IR cut-off filters work very well with longer focal lengths, but
do not work with wide angles. These filters do their filtering by means of an elaborate multi coating
rather than absorption.

You most likely need to use a  dichroic cut filter with wide angles.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:57:32 pm by FredBGG »
Pages: [1]   Go Up