Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RawTherapee  (Read 183048 times)

francois

Re: RawTherapee
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:37 am »

Kirk;
I can't do it.  I can't find libcups library nor /usr/lib/libcups.2.dylib.   Can you help? Where is /usr/lib directory, what is the path?
Thanks for the efforts.
David

In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder…, in the text field, type exactly  /usr/lib/
The lib folder should be open, then just find libcups.2.dylib, copy it or drag a copy to your desktop. You should then move this file into the correct folder in RT.
Francois

kirkt

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:28 am »

Exactly as Francois suggests - copy the libcups library to your desktop as the first step.  Then, to access the lib folder within RawTherapee, you will need to go to the RawTherapee.app icon and right-click on it and chose "Show Package Contents" which will reveal the folder structure within the application.  Navigate to the "lib" folder within the RawTherapee.app structure and drop the libcups library there.

douvidl

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »

Kirk;
Finally the files are where they should be and I can launch RT.  Many thanks for your help and patience.   I do notice that the user interface is incomplete, that is all the "boxes, buttons"  are 'x'.   No labels, just x.  Any thoughts as to the next steps?
David

kirkt

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »

Funny you should mention this.  I have been having issues with my MacPorts install since I transitioned to a new Mac Book Pro a few weeks ago.  I just, today, one hour ago, removed MacPorts and all of the port files and built components that I had installed previously.  I am in the process of reinstalling the ports and their associated files.  

Sooooo - why am I mentioning this?  Because I now have the same problem you just mentioned!

If you read this note on compiling RT rom source:

http://code.google.com/p/rawtherapee/source/browse/COMPILE.txt

You will find the dependencies that RT needs.  I think these ports are necessary and my having removed them from my systems to do a fresh build of them broke RTs interface.  Maybe someone here can chime in, but I imagine it is missing a component of the GUI backbone, like cairo or gtk or whatever.  

Bottom line - make sure you have those components installed on your system.

kirk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:49:00 pm by kirkt »

ArioArioldi

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:24 am »

Kirk;
Finally the files are where they should be and I can launch RT.  Many thanks for your help and patience.   I do notice that the user interface is incomplete, that is all the "boxes, buttons"  are 'x'.   No labels, just x.  Any thoughts as to the next steps?
David
May be in this post (close the end) you can find a solution to your problem.
http://code.google.com/p/rawtherapee/issues/detail?id=884#c20

douvidl

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2012, 11:50:34 am »

Ario;
Can you "translate" the coding required and how to install same from the link you provided.  I understood the English, but  I am just not that proficient in programming.
Thanks
David

kirkt

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »

Your best bet is to install MacPorts and use it to set up all of the dependencies RT users for compilation.  This will install mime as well.

MacPorts is pretty simple to use and there are a few GUIs for it as well, including Port Authority. 

I installed all of the dependencies for building RT from source using MacPorts and actually built RT from source last night - and I do not have much experience in doing this kind of thing.  I had to install gcc4.8 to use openMP and I had to point make to a few different libraries for JPEG, TIFF and PNG, but I actually could not believe I successfully compiled RT from source!

kirk

douvidl

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2012, 09:31:34 am »

kirkt;

I only wish I could understand "dependencies" and MacPorts etc.  But I can't.  So any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
DAvid

kirkt

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2012, 09:16:40 pm »

The best thing to do would be to follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier about compiling RT from source.  You won't need to worry about compiling it, but the link tells you what ports you need to install.

Here is the link:

http://code.google.com/p/rawtherapee/source/browse/COMPILE.txt

This is the bit of the link that names the ports:

OSX
---

Requirements:
- XCode Development Tools (you only need a subset of these, but it is probably easier to just install all of them)
- MacPorts
   - Set /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf to include "+no_x11 +quartz"
   - If you want to build for multiple architectures, add +universal to variants.conf.  Note that this will increase the size of the final application substantially.
      - Set /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf key 'universal_archs' to the architectures you wish to build for.  Possible values
        include "i386 x86_64 ppc ppc64"
      - Edit beginning of CMakeLists.txt to enable the same architectures as you added to variants.conf
   - Run "sudo port install cairomm pango-devel gtk2 cmake glibmm gtkmm lcms libiptcdata" to install all needed libraries and tools

MacPorts is an automated system that permits the user to effectively build an application without having to delve too deeply into the dark art of compiling from source.  It will automatically go and find the proper packages and dependencies, download them and compile them.  Macports requires Xcode developer tools to work.  make sure you have installed Xcode for your OS version, otherwise Macports will not be able to do its job.

See: http://www.macports.org/

read through the macports FAQ to get an idea of what you need to understand to use macports - if you don't understand it, don't start blindly typing things into the command line!  the "sudo" part of the command I listed in bold means you are doing something to your computer as a "superuser" which can get you in trouble if you do not know what you are doing.

The ports that rawtherapee requires for compiling from source are:

cairomm
pango-devel
gtk2
cmake
glibmm
gtkmm
lcms
libiptcdata

I found that lcms2 was also required to build from source for my machine.  Once you install MacPorts (the application) you may find it easier to use a GUI front end for MacPorts, like Port Authority, to search for and install ports.  This makes it easier to see port variants and search for ports if you are not comfortable with the command line.

This is not necessarily beginner level stuff, so if you feel like you do not want to risk getting completely screwed up, don;t do it.

Best of luck,

kirk

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:22:18 pm by kirkt »

douvidl

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 10:35:50 am »

kirkt;

What is a dependency and why do I care?
David

kirkt

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 11:46:42 am »

Applications "depend" upon libraries of subroutines and systems to display things like graphics, gui's, etc. and to perform various operations.  So, for example, RT depends upon the various packages listed above to help it do its thing.  For example, here is the description of "cairo"

Cairo is a 2D graphics library with support for multiple output devices. Currently supported output targets include the X Window System (via both Xlib and XCB), Quartz, Win32, image buffers, PostScript, PDF, and SVG file output. Experimental backends include OpenGL, BeOS, OS/2, and DirectFB.

cairomm is a c++ wrapper for the cairo graphics library used by RT - the interface for RT is not Mac-specific, but is displayed via an interface library called gtk.  Again, gtk is library of platform-independent GUI utilities that permits RT to be complied and run on multiple platforms.  Etc.  RT as compiled in an application should contain all of the necessary libraries and dependencies, but it may be assuming that you machine is configured to look for certain windowing or GUI environmental variables that your machine does not have or is not configured to have.

So a dependency is something upon which RT depends in order to be built and run properly.  You can google each of the dependencies in the list and find their web page to understand what each one is and likely intuit how RT depends upon each one.  When you tell macports "hey, i need you to install the port of the cairomm library on my machine" macports will say, "alright, but hey, in order to do that, I'm going to need to install a bunch of other libraries that cairo depends on to compile properly" - it will do this automatically, which is nice because you do not need to worry about trying to figure out and install all of the dependencies.

My hunch is that your missing icons are the result of not having the GUI environment set up on your machine.  This may require X11, gtk, etc., dependencies, all of which you can install via macports.

That being said, again, consider that if you do not feel comfortable using macports and installing these ports, do not do it - macports requires that you operate as a superuser, which can quickly get you in trouble if you do not know what you are doing.

As a troubleshooting operation, try this:

Open the Console (/Applications/Utilities).  Clear the current message window (Clear Messages button).  Now launch RT as would normally and see what messages appear - they may tell you what directories or icon files RT is looking for.

kirk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:48:21 am by kirkt »

douvidl

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2012, 12:45:05 pm »

kirkt;

You are a good person, patient and affable.
Thanks
David

Sapphie

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2012, 05:16:24 am »

I managed to get those RT icons by following the steps in comment 20 here

http://code.google.com/p/rawtherapee/issues/detail?id=884

No need to install macports etc.

Lee

mouse

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2012, 06:29:53 pm »

Have just installed V4.0.9.138x64.  Many improvements over V4.0.8 and so far running bug free. ;)

The only real downside of this software is that it is too powerful or too versatile.  It offers at least half a dozen ways to accomplish the same goal; but each with subtle differences in the outcome.  One can (and I have) gained some facility by experimentation, but that makes for a very slow learning curve.  What I end up doing is first editing my photos with ACR/PS and then, when I have time, going back and seeing if I can achieve the same or better results with RT.  Sometimes I can; but when I cannot I doubt it is due to the limitations of the RT software.

If the developers were able to devote some of their time to expanding the user's manual and perhaps providing a few tutorials, this program would surely gain many converts. :)  In any case, kudos to the developers for what they have produced.

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2012, 02:05:25 pm »

I've more or less given up on RT - and I've been a fan forever.

The lack of control over the direction of its development, and the chaos that has resulted (I told the devs two years ago that they really need proper project management) makes it more and more of a chore to use effectively - especially if, like me, you shoot hundreds of images in a session. There's new, often completely obscure and undescribed functionality in every point release, yet each release introduces new problems, frequently in areas extremely important to IQ, such as "processing profiles".

And - despite all of the highlight options now available in RT - its highlight recovery really isn't as good as it used to be back in release 2.4.1 days.

Too "clever" for it's own good, I'm afraid.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2012, 02:20:32 pm »

I've more or less given up on RT - and I've been a fan forever.

The lack of control over the direction of its development, and the chaos that has resulted (I told the devs two years ago that they really need proper project management) makes it more and more of a chore to use effectively - especially if, like me, you shoot hundreds of images in a session. There's new, often completely obscure and undescribed functionality in every point release, yet each release introduces new problems, frequently in areas extremely important to IQ, such as "processing profiles".

And - despite all of the highlight options now available in RT - its highlight recovery really isn't as good as it used to be back in release 2.4.1 days.

Too "clever" for it's own good, I'm afraid.

I 'd say that to use RT properly you either need to be a software developer (at least in your prev. life) and actually follow (and invest some time accordigly) the development on that level or just limit yourself to only few controls (it is unfortunate that RT does not allow to totally hide or customize which tools are visible in UI, like C1 for example does) and do the rest in photoshop (for example)... but then I ask myself... if I need only a few controls then I 'd rather use RPP  :) ... RT team wants to make another LR and saturate the UI with huge amounts of controls, and in the process it seems they overdo the latter and underachieve the former

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:41 pm »

I 'd say that to use RT properly you either need to be a software developer (at least in your prev. life)
Yeah, I was. (I've been a project manager too).

and actually follow (and invest some time accordingly) the development on that level
Yeah, I did...

RT's problem is simple - no proper project management. No formal, agreed, locked-down roadmap (this really is a key problem); no (real) control over development.

It can't be compared to Lr, because Lr is (comparatively) a paragon of simple design, smart UI decisions, and (relatively) limited, but brilliantly effective, functionality: RT is really just about cramming in as much as can be squeezed into the interface without it bursting, without any real regard to usability.

Up to a point I always liked that about RT - I like options - and I know my way around it: but I no longer enjoy it because, to be blunt, it's too much like hard work.

And just too much.  

I'm not knocking the devs - there are some truly talented, hard-working guys on the RT dev team - but I told 'em almost two years ago that you just can't run a (pretty big, now) IT project as a democracy, a committee, an egalitarian commune, but their insistence on adherence to an "everyone's equal" model (to pander for stroppy devs who threw tantrums at the very prospect that their contributions would not universally be adopted - although ironically, the main perpetrator of that egotistical crap bailed out anyway) has resulted in the confused - and crucially, largely undocumented - condition of RT today, where new functionality appears at every turn (like dual tone curves, odd and unintuitive sharpening theshold controls - UI standards are not part of RT's "model") not because there's an overt, documented need for them, but just because a dev thought they'd be a good idea.

More trinkets than a pensioner's mantlepiece.

It's really just a dev's playground now - which is fine and all - but as a readily usable, accessible and efficient Raw converter for photographers, it's going steadily backwards.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:05:19 am by Keith Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2012, 12:12:59 pm »

Keith,
With whatever limited development resources RT has, it is evolving at an extremely high rate, with introduction of very essential tools, both advanced and simple.
RT tutorials are in the works, and when launched, will provide a very clear, simple and effective illustrations on options and flexibility of editing that RT allows.
Many new tools are unconventional and novell, but almost all of them (if not all) are documented in the manual.
Each set of tools is introduced via a group discussion and acceptance in googlecode issues, where users are obviously welcome to place requests and voice opinions.
Considering wealth of tools that RT offers, it may be overwhelming to a new or amature user. To address this, RT will offer GUI customization, so tools can be hidden if desired. Here is a reference googlecode issue: http://code.google.com/p/rawtherapee/issues/detail?id=1578

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2012, 01:39:45 pm »

With whatever limited development resources RT has, it is evolving at an extremely high rate

that is exactly the problem... I mean people who are contributing to RT are truly excited about actually doing something and in the process they care a little less about usability for others, consistency and polishing features that are already in place... sometimes it is actually better not to introduce some new exciting features, but rather stop, trim something actually...

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2012, 02:15:05 pm »

and in the process they care a little less about usability for others...
deejjjaaaa, "others" is a very broad term, there is many different levels of "others", but they all are welcome to participate in the project and contribute - either by sharing thoughts on improvement and then actively participating in testing and writing documentation or even coding...

RT has gone through a high rate of expansion in the number of tools, in quality of tools, in workflow enhancements, etc.
There are some major architectural changes that may be implemented in the future to allow more flexible implementation of features and would eventually lead to a refinement stage when RT will get further polished out - in GUI and in the engine. But all with time, as there is a significant constraint on development resources.

Usability-wise, RT has already gone through a great number of enhancements (just search googlecode issue list by the issue type)
and it will require more time and effort to refine it further. There definitely is a desire to do it within the team, but it requires vision, design and implementation.

For comparison purposes, here is Lightroom release schedule(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom):
Version 1.0   February 19, 2007
Version 2.0 April 2008
Version 3.0 October 22, 2009
Version 4.0 March 5, 2012

How long would one have to wait to get a bug fix or any new feature to be implemented in Lightroom? This is with Adobe's resources.
Within RT - in some cases it is literally next day, and usually between 1 to 5 weeks!

I am strongly motivated by the spirit of rawtherapee team, it is remarkable how productive the team is with the democratic approach.
There is a steering committee, and it is comprised of both developers and not developers, based on contribution into the project and, specifically,  dedication to it.
Users are absolutely welcome to contribute in many ways possible and it will lead to an even more user-friendly:) state of the art program.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up