Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom sized prints on roll paper without borderless?  (Read 3794 times)

Jack Hill

Custom sized prints on roll paper without borderless?
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:13:36 pm »

I generally cut paper to size but thought I'd try roll paper. Surprisingly, a 17" roll is fixed at 22" long. Can I create a custom size, like 17"x24"? Second, I don't really want borderless prints, I gang print A2 and A7 cards on the 17" rolls with a white border. Can roll paper be used without the borderless option? I see only borderless choices in Page Setup with the 9900 using Photoshop CS4. Since I've been running roll paper, the 9900 has developed ink overspray on the feed side where the pads are located. There is no pad on the far right, is there supposed to be a pad on the right? Ink accumulates there and is transferred to the back of the roll paper along the feed side of the printer. The 17" pad is dirty, but has not transferred to the paper yet. Is there a way to run roll paper without being borderless, so it doesn't create the ink overspray issue? Thank you for your help.

Mac 10.5.8  - Epson 9900  - Photoshop CS4

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Custom sized prints on roll paper without borderless?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:38:18 am »

sure.  You can make any paper size you want, 17" wide by whatever (up to about 150" long) ... just create custom paper sizes.  And then you can put your image anywhere you want in that page ... in the dialog box you just change where the image is position on the page.  You can even set a size percentage to make it a little smaller or larger.

No need to print borderless at all.

Jack Hill

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:07:24 am »

Thank you, Wayne. I'm familiar with making custom print sizes within the Page Setup, but these are all designated as "sheets". If I cut a sheet to size and feed it in, all is well. However, if I make a custom size, then mount a roll and tell the printer, it's a roll, the printer treats the roll as if it's a sheet. It won't cut, I have to remove the roll or manually cut it off to get the print out.

I don't see anywhere in the custom paper size dialog box to create a custom size using "roll" paper? Within Page Setup, the driver comes pre-loaded with numerous roll paper width options, but these are all at fixed length and only borderless. I have no choice but to pick the 17x22 bordeless paper size.

I must be missing something obvious, but I've not caught on to what it is? Thank you again.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:02:45 am »

After setting your custom page size in page setup got to  Layout - Printer Settings - Roll paper.
Where are you setting roll? It should be set exactly like above.
Also make sure your screen on the printer shows roll with cutter activated.

Same operating system,Lightroom,9900.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:11:44 am by Dan Berg »

Jack Hill

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:20:05 am »

Everything is done in Photoshop. I layout 8) A2 note cards on a "new document" within Photoshop. I size the document 17x22, then I select the Printer and "Paper Size" from the "Page Setup" dialog.

It's within the Page Setup dialog I can either create a custom sized sheet, or select one of the default roll sizes. The only default roll size for 17" roll paper is 22". Thus, this is why I must make my document this size. I'd like to create a roll paper size at a different length, such as 24", 30" or any length.

From within the Paper Setup dialog box, I can create any size custom sheet, but I see no options to select a 17" roll other than the default 22". When I make custom sized sheets, they can be any size, how can I make a custom length for a 17" roll? Thank you so much for the input on this matter.

Mac 10.5.8, Photoshop CS4, Epson 9900

davidh202

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »

Too bad your on a Mac
Qimage makes all that a breeze ;-)

David

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 01:41:38 pm »

Works on my 9900 exactly as I stated.
After setting your "paper" width and length in "custom page size"
 Select printer settings and choose roll.
For example in custom page size, set 17" x 40" then be sure to choose roll in printer settings. And you will print off of your 17" roll to a length of 40"
 Make sure you have roll/cutter selected in your printer interface window and it will print to that size and cut.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 04:35:14 pm by Dan Berg »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »

Thank you, Wayne. I'm familiar with making custom print sizes within the Page Setup, but these are all designated as "sheets". If I cut a sheet to size and feed it in, all is well. However, if I make a custom size, then mount a roll and tell the printer, it's a roll, the printer treats the roll as if it's a sheet. It won't cut, I have to remove the roll or manually cut it off to get the print out.

I don't see anywhere in the custom paper size dialog box to create a custom size using "roll" paper? Within Page Setup, the driver comes pre-loaded with numerous roll paper width options, but these are all at fixed length and only borderless. I have no choice but to pick the 17x22 bordeless paper size.

I must be missing something obvious, but I've not caught on to what it is? Thank you again.
well, technically everything is a "sheet".  When you create a custom size, it is just a size .... not sheet or roll.  then you tell the printer in the appropriate paper selection dialog box if you are printing from a roll or on a sheet.  It will default to a sheet, but you just select roll paper instead.

aduke

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »

well, technically everything is a "sheet".  When you create a custom size, it is just a size .... not sheet or roll.  then you tell the printer in the appropriate paper selection dialog box if you are printing from a roll or on a sheet.  It will default to a sheet, but you just select roll paper instead.

and then, you must select the desired roll cut option.

Alan

Sven W

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 02:21:13 pm »

Too bad your on a Mac
Qimage makes all that a breeze ;-)

David

Do you think that such a comment will help the OP?

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 02:13:33 am »

and then, you must select the desired roll cut option.

Alan
actually no, you do that at the same time.  Not a different or another step.  You just have to tell the printer what you want are doing, because you picked a custom size which has no associated roll/sheet/roll borderless, etc setting associated with it.  If you pick a set sheet size, you tell the printer in that step what to do, so with a custom size you have to click one additional little menu and pick one additional setting.

And I'm doubtful Qimage makes this any easier ... it just isn't that hard.

Jack Hill

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:03:13 am »

Ah, I get it. This makes sense and I can understand it. I'm sure this will work, I have not tried it yet due to the holiday, but I'm anxious to set up some custom sizes. It's fun running roll paper, I don't have to jump up and feed another sheet into the printer. Thank you everyone and specially Wayne for providing the details I needed. Your input is invaluable.

Jack Hill

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 08:52:44 pm »

Just to follow-up, I tried this and it works perfectly. I never thought to go into "Print Settings" to set a custom size to be printed on a roll. I've always used sheets and never needed to go into Print Settings once I set up a paper type. However, I've learned roll paper is as versatile as sheets. Plus, without checking the borderless default roll, I'm not getting any overspray onto the pads, thus the backside of the paper is remaining clean. This is exactly what I wanted and again, I'm appreciative for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up