Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Where does Hasselblad sell all their traded-in gear?  (Read 29908 times)

markymarkrb

Where does Hasselblad sell all their traded-in gear?
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »

Does anyone know what Hasselblad does with their trade ins? Is there a Company or website that sells used Hasselblad cameras?

Thanks,
Mark

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Where does Hasselblad sell all their traded-in gear?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:29:13 pm »

It's probably more lucrative to do this to trade-ins than let a used Hassy market thrive.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:55:17 pm »

Does anyone know what Hasselblad does with their trade ins? Is there a Company or website that sells used Hasselblad cameras?

I can't speak for Hasselblad, but at a dealer level a very meaningful percentage of our total back sales are pre-owned backs, and most of those come in as the result of a trade-in.

We even sell at least a few Phase One FX+ scan backs and Phase One Lightphase backs each year.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »

Hmmm, I am not really sure about that...maybe in our pre-owned equipment page  8)

Also, Hasselblad USA has periodic sales of CPO (Certified Pre-owned) equipment listed for the market. Yes, Virginia, there is a very healthy used Hasselblad digital market.

Kits from price ranges of $7k and up, digital magazines $4k and up...bodies $2500 and up...We do a lot of trade-in's.

Why do you ask MarkyMark?

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

markymarkrb

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:29:39 am »

John,

Thanks for the info.  I hadn't checked out your website before but will be checking periodically now.  Looks like you guys list some used Hasselblads.

Mark

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 03:13:15 am »

John,

Thanks for the info.  I hadn't checked out your website before but will be checking periodically now.  Looks like you guys list some used Hasselblads.

Mark

+1
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ced

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:03:45 am »

What a silly guy with the blender and hasn't given a thought about all that toxic stuff coming out of there.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:53:00 am »

I can't speak for Hasselblad...

Finally!   ;D
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Graham Welland

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 05:03:36 am »

David,

Rather than be snippy with the competition why not just give the OP an answer?
Graham

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 04:16:52 pm »

David,

But snippy feels so much better !!!!!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

• Capture One
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 01:46:25 am »

David,

Lordy...

The original question was well answered by John earlier.

But, to clarify, any product worth reselling is taken back to the factory, refurbished and offered back to the dealer network.

As for being snippy, I would like to think my coefficient of snippiness is pretty low around here.

David.
David Grover

Graham Welland

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:53:26 am »

Hey, intentionally or not, it read as snippy  :-\ (as no doubt did my reply) On a more serious note though, I was also interested in the response directly from Hasselblad since you were here.

What are the rules regarding condition etc for trade ins btw? With some of the competitive upgrades it's tempting to pick up older backs on eBay that may have had issues (blown FireWire ports etc - pretty common but expensive to fix for older out of warranty backs) but are attractively priced enough to be potentially useful for an upgrade discount.
Graham

Radu Arama

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 11:03:48 am »

IMHO, both Hasselblad and Phase One will feel a lot stronger the "Pentax factor" in a year or so from now when the new model(s) will emerge and people will start to upgrade. After almost 15 months of sales in Japan I think there are thousands of 645Ds there and even if only 25% of those users will upgrade for the next model that means 500 to more than 1000 units that will flood the ebay. Considering that the price is quite stable in Japan at around 750 000 Yen I guess that 400k to 500k Yen for near mint cameras will be the norm and that amount is about 5200 to 6500 USD today.

Also most likely in the next 12 months the new Pentax "portrait lens" will be a reality and that suggests that the long announced tethering software will also debut hence new applications will be in reach for this system. A lot of people seem to love the Hasselblad 100/2.2 and I have a hunch that Pentax will do exactly such a lens (very fast for MF).

That disruptive effect on the used medium format camera market could be a lot more important than the original 645D launch (especially hampering the ability of P1, H and their dealers to give large discounts on trading old cameras and to further move them to another customer).

Radu

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »

Thanks,
Mark
To your surprise (and mine), if its a DB that is no longer in production, .......They DESTROY IT!!!!!!   I asked when I was looking to replace my 528C (which I decided not to). Phase One does exactly the same either with their own, or with Leaf! I don't know about Sinar. Cheers, Theodoros www.fotometria.gr

• Capture One
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 04:17:29 am »

Hey, intentionally or not, it read as snippy  :-\ (as no doubt did my reply) On a more serious note though, I was also interested in the response directly from Hasselblad since you were here.

What are the rules regarding condition etc for trade ins btw? With some of the competitive upgrades it's tempting to pick up older backs on eBay that may have had issues (blown FireWire ports etc - pretty common but expensive to fix for older out of warranty backs) but are attractively priced enough to be potentially useful for an upgrade discount.

No worries. ;)

In theory the trade in should be a working unit.

David
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 04:18:14 am »

To your surprise (and mine), if its a DB that is no longer in production, .......They DESTROY IT!!!!!!   I asked when I was looking to replace my 528C (which I decided not to). Phase One does exactly the same either with their own, or with Leaf! I don't know about Sinar. Cheers, Theodoros www.fotometria.gr

I am sorry, but there is no destruction going on in the factory!
David Grover

Nick-T

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 05:15:41 pm »

Yep not in the factory. They take the backs out to the car park where they keep the elephant.

:D
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 06:33:49 pm »

I am sorry, but there is no destruction going on in the factory!
OK! they just... split them apart without destruction. :) They obviously prefer screwdrivers from hammers. ??? ........Less noisy than both sledge or elephant! 8) ......and more enviroment friendly too.  ;) Obviously the key words from your quote to Graham is "worth reselling".  ::) Now I know, there is equipment worth buying..... that is not worth reselling!!!! If I was Has I would give it to charity.....  ;) Not to the Elephant mentioned above..... 8) Cheers Theodoros, www.fotometria.gr
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:52:40 pm by fotometria gr »

TH_Alpa

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 06:58:42 pm »

Hi Nick, thought I'll jump in to say hi.

So you mean to say that the elephant actually can get it destroyed?

I can recall some other manufacturer trying hard to do this without much success.

;)

Best regards
Thierry

Yep not in the factory. They take the backs out to the car park where they keep the elephant.

:D

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 11:50:51 pm »

Just had to provide another chuckle at the elephant - poor fellow is just looking for a few peanuts...

The used market really gets down to moving the equipment into the hands of a different economic layer; there are many more photographers who would like to shoot medium-format in the sub-$6000 range than sub-$10000 range. For all the same reasons - better color, better detail, better first-appearances with better camera, etc. They are willing to tolerate the few nicks and scratches and not the largest file size and will often trade-up within 12-24 months.

Where there are buyers, there are sellers.

When we execute a trade-in, in some cases, we can help the seller obtain a greater price for their equipment than the standard trade-in credit direct from Hasselblad; in other cases the trade-in credit is greater and it makes sense to take advantage of the trade-in offer.

Hasselblad then cleans and refurbishes those trade-in units that are feasible reconditioned models. Some units are beat up so badly, they are not suitable for re-release.

I'm not complaining, just reporting :)

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up