Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Numerous Photoshop Crashes being reported  (Read 8231 times)

mkravit

Numerous Photoshop Crashes being reported
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:46:43 am »

All over the web, I am reading that many people are experiencing crashes when opening files in all versions of Photoshop. Lots of folks working on deadlines trying to get work out when these crashes start.

Yesterday afternoon, my Photoshop also started crashing. I am running PS CS5 which is up to date on Snow Leopard (also up to date). It seems that this crashes occur everytime I open a file with /file/open/(file name).

If I drag and drop the file from the finder, the file opens fine and there are no crashes.

I have an updated Nvidia 120 driver. I did a full unistall and then installed CS5.1 as a brand new installation and immediately experienced the same crashes with file/open/(file name). Drag and dropping the file works fine as in 5.0.

Has anyone else been experiencing these type of crashes. The really weird part is that I have been running CS5 for the past year with absolutely no issues until yesterday.

Does anyone know if there could possibly be a OS-X update that has been found to cause this?

Mike
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:05:35 pm by BurningMan »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epidemic Photoshop Crashes being reported
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:30:13 am »

I'm using CS5.0 with SL 10.6.7 and have no such problems. This may suggest that the problem is lodged with either an OS or application up-date beyond what I am - successfully - using. One would only hope that both Apple and Adobe test these things sufficiently to avoid such elementary issues before they launch the updates.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:49:26 am »

I'm running 10.6.6 and have no issues w/ CS5.

I'm always leery of words like 'epidemic'.  There are LOTS of people using PS and if you count on only those that
complain, it's totally skewed.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:54:10 am »

Howard, I haven't checked on this specific item, but if a substantial number of identical observations appear on the internet, it is an a priori signal that there may be a generic issue of some kind affecting a group of users with exactly the same versions of software. It doesn't prove anything, but it's grounds for concern.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »

Until we get more data, it's impossible to isolate any possible issue.

Can the OP provide additional information, URL's, google info, etc etc?

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »

Some computer games have unexplained crashes, but only if they are pirated.

Just saying...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:33:11 pm »

All over the web, I am reading that over the past two weeks, many people are experiencing crashes when opening files in all versions of Photoshop.

Uh huh..."all over the web" huh? What web would that be? Exactly what forums or email lists are you talking about? If you are referring to the Adobe Photoshop forums, I see no unusual uptick in people having crashing. I see a couple of people one running CS2 and 1 running CS5 that have crashes but I don't think raises to the level of an epidemic...

The various Adobe forums are places where people having problems go for help so it's obvious most posts there are by people having problems. BTW, posting there would also be the best bet for you to get help...nobody here could look at your crash report and tell you anything.

mkravit

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:48 pm »

J. Schewe,

Didn't ask that.
I asked if anyone know of a fix for what I am experiencing.

Schewe

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »

Here are but a few. Some are newer, sold older, some have ongoing discussions....

Well, let's see...the first one was Windows, you aren't running Windows are ya? The second thread was about crashing trying to save a Flash file...you aren't trying to save a Flash file are ya? The 3rd was crashing running a filter, the 4th one from July 2010 and was prolly resolved by the 12.0.1 update, the 5th one was fixed by turning off Open CL, oh and he was Windows too. #6 was Windows and was also OPen CL and was fixed with a driver update. The 7th was Photoshop CS2, not CS5. #8 was a bad install of CS3 that was fixed by an uninstall/reinstall-from Oct 2010.

Ya get the drift?

There is no indication that two weeks ago many, many users started crashing...your assumption is wrong and as a result, your own troubleshooting is being impacted. While you say you did an uninstall/reinstall, you don't indicate you've trashed the PS prefs, that's troubleshooting 101. You also don't say whether you've tried turning Open CL on/off or changing the settings. Heck, you haven't even posted what CPU and what OS you're running. Do you really want help?

Again if you want your crash report read, post to the Adobe Photoshop forum...there's Photoshop QE and engineering staff that can read it an help you. In the mean time you really should learn that Photoshop is a canary in a coal mine that stresses your machine to the limit. If something is wrong with the hardware or software, Photoshop can start crashing...sorry you are having issues, but that's not really a good reason to yell fire, ya know? BTW, editing your OP to change the context (removing the two weeks) is kinda bad form. It's one thing to edit for spelling and typos but it's another to try to hide what you originally wrote.

Alistair

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 04:13:56 pm »

Well, let's see...the first one was Windows, you aren't running Windows are ya? The second thread was about crashing trying to save a Flash file...you aren't trying to save a Flash file are ya? The 3rd was crashing running a filter, the 4th one from July 2010 and was prolly resolved by the 12.0.1 update, the 5th one was fixed by turning off Open CL, oh and he was Windows too. #6 was Windows and was also OPen CL and was fixed with a driver update. The 7th was Photoshop CS2, not CS5. #8 was a bad install of CS3 that was fixed by an uninstall/reinstall-from Oct 2010.

I'm worried now, I'm running CS3 on windows (Yay Vista!) and have not had a crash since '09. 'unexpected error has occurred'? Should I call it in?
Alistair

mkravit

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 04:31:35 pm »

Well, let's see...

Ya get the drift?

Do you really want help?

Love the way the response becomes personal. Sigh, I asked a very simple question, nothing near deserving the lecture received.

Please Schewe, do not respond if you can't response in a helpful manner, bloviating is not helpful. And yes, I have sent the crash reports to Adobe with no response. I don't need someone to read the crash response and tell me what I already know.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 04:44:54 pm »

. And yes, I have sent the crash reports to Adobe with no response. I don't need someone to read the crash response and tell me what I already know.

(1) I forget whether there are two portals for sending these reports to Adobe - one on the Adobe Forum - where they do respond; and another if they have it - an automated system for receiving crash reports which they then work on without responding to senders. If they have the latter route and that is the one you used, you would not get a reply. The first one I know for sure they receive and respond to such issues - but I think one should expect some lag as they get to each one in turn. If you filed on the Adobe Forum and did it recently, I would recommend being a bit patient.

(2) Why presume that when they read the crash report they will tell you something you already know? Maybe they'll tell you something you don't know, which will solve your problem.

Schewe

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 12:22:26 am »

Please Schewe, do not respond if you can't response in a helpful manner, bloviating is not helpful. And yes, I have sent the crash reports to Adobe with no response. I don't need someone to read the crash response and tell me what I already know.

Hey bud, it's you that came here and made a post claiming that last two weeks (which you edited to delete) an "epidemic" of Photoshop crashes...I did indeed advise you to post on the Adobe Forums (if you actually wanted to know what was crashing your machine) and tossing the prefs which is troubleshooting 101. And I note you STILL haven't indicated your OS version (which can make a difference).

I have a lot of friends on the Photoshop team so when some yahoo claims an "epidemic" of Photoshop crashes without any sort of proof, yeah, I kinda take it personal...so, I ask again, do you want help? If so, you've gone about it all wrong...

Schewe

Re: Numerous Photoshop Crashes being reported
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 01:23:30 am »

Wow...now you're editing the topic thread...ya know, that doesn't really change things. You said what you said and it'll live in the quotes of other people's messages. Kinda makes things worse actually.

stamper

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 04:24:55 am »

It means the argument has been lost and a gracious way out hasn't been contemplated.  :(

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 08:35:48 am »

It means the argument has been lost and a gracious way out hasn't been contemplated.  :(

I didn't know there was an argument to lose. I think Jeff's advice is bang-on correct. The O/P should follow it and report back the results, assuming of course he has a legal copy of Photoshop. The Photoshop engineers are much better qualified than (what I know of) most of us to diagnose such issues. And yes, trashing prefs often solves lots of problems. Did the O/P try that? Did it fail to do the job? This Forum is a voluntary undertaking amongst the participants, so at some point each contributor needs to ask himself/herself how much time it's worth devoting to an issue - and that depends on whether we think the help offered is likely to be productive, and that we are dealing with well-intentioned people of good character. I find this business of editing the substance of previous posts without informing the community or simply admitting that one misspoke (which happens to the best of us) is a troubling indicator.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 09:45:24 am »

I was kind of expecting to see Jeff firing from all guns when I started the thread and, surprise  ;), he was kind, offered sound advice in almost friendly terms and took the time to check all posted links. You'd have expected something like "Thanks for your time, will do as advised". But no. Maybe it doesn't pay to be nice?

stamper

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 11:29:29 am »

I didn't know there was an argument to lose

Unquote

Going by the numbers of posts made to trying to prove his point it looked argumentative to me? ;)

assuming of course he has a legal copy of Photoshop.

Unquote

Would you like the same accusation thrown at you? Any evidence to back up this up?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:32:18 am by stamper »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 11:34:14 am »

assuming of course he has a legal copy of Photoshop.

Unquote

Would you like the same accusation thrown at you? Any evidence to back up this up?
In what sense is the remark you quote an accusation?

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up