Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab Slickrock Metalic Pearl 260  (Read 8264 times)

freakfx

Moab Slickrock Metalic Pearl 260
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:35:47 pm »

Hello!

Long time lurker, finally in the forum. I have been using Canson Baryta with an Epson 4900 for some time and has become a staple printing medium for me.
I decided to try the Moab Slickrock and am an instant fan. I have not profiled with my printer yet, but chose the icc profile off Moab's website.
My monitor is profiled with a datacolor spyder. I will profile with my printer tomorrow.

Has anyone who has used this paper noticed over saturation with Moab's icc profile?
Seems abit extreme..

Jason

francois

Re: Moab Slickrock Metalic Pearl 260
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:08:58 am »

Hello!

Long time lurker, finally in the forum. I have been using Canson Baryta with an Epson 4900 for some time and has become a staple printing medium for me.
I decided to try the Moab Slickrock and am an instant fan. I have not profiled with my printer yet, but chose the icc profile off Moab's website.
My monitor is profiled with a datacolor spyder. I will profile with my printer tomorrow.

Has anyone who has used this paper noticed over saturation with Moab's icc profile?
Seems abit extreme..

Jason

Jason,
Regarding the over saturation, did you use perceptual rendering intent? On the Moab website, on the ICC profile page, there's a note that says that you must use relative colorimetric rendering intent with the provided profile. I printed with RC intent and didn't notice any over saturation but soft-proofing in PS with perceptual boosted saturation more than under-exposed Velvia!

I haven't yet build printer profiles as I only have a 50-sheet box but I plan to build a profile as soon as I receive more.
Francois

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:34 am »

Is this that Mitsubishi metallic sheet that's been around awhile and sold as Photochrome, etc? If it is there are about 4 companies selling it under different names with different prices.

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:33:40 am »

Is this that Mitsubishi metallic sheet that's been around awhile and sold as Photochrome, etc? If it is there are about 4 companies selling it under different names with different prices.

No idea but Michael doesn't mention the Mitsubishi Metallic paper in his review.
Francois

freakfx

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:58 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

I tried again today with a new slate and profiled the paper with my spyder3 print, classic 2 page, profile option.
I printed one using the supplied .icc from Moab and another from my icc profile. Relative Colormetric
I found Moab's icc to be more saturated and brighter than my created profile, I'm sure they have better profiling equipment than mine.

Must have been using the perceptual for yesterday, thanks for the tip, I prob missed it.
Gonna stick with the supplied profile.
This sure is an interesting/lovely fine art paper to work with.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:32:46 pm by freakfx »

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:08 pm »

You say fine art paper? Is this metallic media a resin coated plastic base or fiber base? Sure would be cool to have a fiber base metallic offering...

If it is fiber base than it isn't the Mitusubishi, Photochrome, etc, their all based on an rc satin base.

j

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:32 pm »

It's RC paper (see http://moabpaper.com/slickrock-metallic-pearl/) and I would bet money it is exactly the same as all the other inkjet metallic RC paper out there. Manufactured by Mitsubishi, private labelled by everyone and anyone.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Randy Carone

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:06:46 am »

Thusfar, all the metallic photo papers on the market look the same. I have not sampled the Moab yet, but I'd be surprised if it isn't the Mitsubishi product.
Randy Carone

fetish

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:01:45 pm »

since there's quite a bit of talk about this, i went to get a roll of it to try.

the package arrived some hours ago and i've made 2 prints so far.

well i can say that the texture and shimmer is almost identical to mitsubishi's pictorico opalescent paper.

but as you can (or might not) see in the attached picture, the mitsubishi's one on the right is a slightly warmer paper than the moab one on the left.

both are printed using epson glossy profile. i found moab's own profile a tad too dark and over saturated.

that's about all I can say regarding the paper at this point of time.

rmyers

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 09:55:28 pm »

If you find the Moab profile too dark and too saturated, you might try the Red River profile.  Pretty sure it's the same paper.

fetish

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 03:06:29 am »

If you find the Moab profile too dark and too saturated, you might try the Red River profile.  Pretty sure it's the same paper.

ah that reminds me. i do have some red river stashed around here somewhere. i'll do some tests and post back later.

francois

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 03:24:53 am »

ah that reminds me. i do have some red river stashed around here somewhere. i'll do some tests and post back later.

Please, keep us posted and thanks for sharing your quick test.
Francois

fetish

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 09:56:36 am »

Please, keep us posted and thanks for sharing your quick test.

The surface of the red river polar pearl metallic and the slickrock looks virtually identical.
Same texture, reflectance, base color... I can almost swear it's the same thing.

cant do any real patch tests now cuz another project just got the greenlight and as usual, client needed the prints by yesterday.

will update again when I can.

SeskaLien

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:48 pm »

I tried printing the same image (black and white) on the Slickrock with Moab's ICC profile and the Red River Polar Pearl Metallic with Red River's profile on an Epson 3880. The image printed on the Red River paper was noticeably more contrasty, which looked better for the particular photo I chose than the Moab print. The paper itself though seems very similar as far as its look and feel, as others have said. Seeing as the Red River paper is significantly less expensive, it will be my choice for metallic paper for the time being.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 07:58:04 pm »

You should try printing both papers with the same profile to compare. My hunch is that they will look identical, judging what people have been saying about these metallic looking papers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up