Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with the RRS PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package ?  (Read 5689 times)

K.C.

Experience with the RRS PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package ?
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:20 am »

I'm ready to an afternoon drive up the coast to San Luis Obispo and pick up the RRS PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package. But before I go I'd love to hear from anyone using it firsthand.

From everything I've read it seems the Gigapan is poorly built, and even if it did work correctly, it's too cumbersome to travel with. So the RRS approach seems the superior, albeit slower, approach to multiple row panos.

Anyone here using the RRS setup ?

Are there any real competitors at this level of quality ?

francois

Re: Experience with the RRS PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 05:33:41 am »

I believe that Bernard Languillier uses one. You can contact him, here's his profile page: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2561
Francois

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:54:53 pm »

I use a PG-02VA with a CB-10 and MPR-II. I like it a lot for single and multi-row pans.

buckshot

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:19 pm »

I'd be inclined to go for the Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package (UPOPP) since it's more versatile - the rails etc. can be used for other purposes when needs be, rather than 'just' a panoramic setup.

Other than for one of the PCL-1 panning clamps, the rest of the parts of a UPOPP were for sale on GetDPI in the 'for sale' section last week - they may still be there.

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 04:49:42 am »

Thanks for the replies. I've never used any of the RRS gear so I'm still a bit confused on the differences between the pano systems. It may require a hands on demo at RRS.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:36 am »

I don't work for RRS but I'll be happy to answer any questions about their panoramic rigs for you. Just shoot me an email - ellis@ellisvener.com

K.C.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:55 am »

Thanks for the offer but I just found some great tutorials on the RRS site that I think will clarify things for me.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=108

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 10:32:19 pm »

Not to take anything away from other manufactures, it have always found RRS products to be absolutely excellent.

K.C.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 11:51:21 pm »

Yes I agree. Expensive but a good value.

SeanBK

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 03:52:10 am »

I have been using RRS PG-02 ProOmni Pivot package with Nodal Slide for four yrs+. Effortlessly smooth operation & spot on results. May be for vast landscape shots one can do w/o Nodal slide, but in other cases a must.
 Sean

K.C.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Sean.

The package comes with the MPR-CL II nodal slide. Are you suggesting that you're some how using an additional one or I am I just reading this into your comment ?

Ellis Vener

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 11:50:44 am »

Thanks for the feedback Sean.

The package comes with the MPR-CL II nodal slide. Are you suggesting that you're some how using an additional one or I am I just reading this into your comment ?

I think you are just reading into his comment. On the other hand I was not aware that the PG-02 components havebeen available for 4 years but  either  Sean had been testing prototypes or I've lost track of a year or two.

K.C.

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 06:01:06 pm »

Bernard Languillier has one of the original prototypes, he still shoots with it. He could probably tell you when they started offering it.

I'm just waiting for a client's check to arrive and then I'll drive up to SLO and pick up the PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package. Should have it next week. Then I just need some fall colors and time to get comfortable with it.

SeanBK

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »

Earliest image I quickly looked up was shot on my Quebec & N.E america trip with the Ultimate Pro-Omni pivot package was in April of 2008. I know I got it before that. Yes, at that time I don't think it was called PG-02 but it has all the same components except that knob to loosen, so one can shoot additional rows. I could've ordered with different clamps I chose the turn knob to lock the camera to Nodal slide. Personally Nodal slide is what makes RRS so great.
  K.C There is only one Nodal slide, that is on the top perpendicular bar. One attaches to the circular clamp accesory. The difference is $100 additional for that knob, as I see it, the little knob does the same thing, I think more securely, that's my 2c with my experience for almost 3yrs @ 5months, for sure.
   Good luck

Ellis Vener

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 11:17:09 pm »

Earliest image I quickly looked up was shot on my Quebec & N.E america trip with the Ultimate Pro-Omni pivot package was in April of 2008. I know I got it before that. Yes, at that time I don't think it was called PG-02 but it has all the same components except that knob to loosen, so one can shoot additional rows. I could've ordered with different clamps I chose the turn knob to lock the camera to Nodal slide. Personally Nodal slide is what makes RRS so great.
  K.C There is only one Nodal slide, that is on the top perpendicular bar. One attaches to the circular clamp accesory. The difference is $100 additional for that knob, as I see it, the little knob does the same thing, I think more securely, that's my 2c with my experience for almost 3yrs @ 5months, for sure.
   Good luck

I have the both the Ultimate Pro-Omni pivot package and the PG-02 VA ( the vertical arm component of the PG-02 Pro Omni-Pivot Package) which I now use with a CB-10 or CB-18 as the lateral arm. The Nodal slide remains an MPR-II and I use a PCL-1 as the horizontal clamp / rotational device. Undeneath that I use either a Foba ASMIA head or the larger Manfrotto leveling base.
The primary reason I went with the PG-02 VA to replace the vertical riser + second PCL-1 to set vertical tilt angle is that rotational device in the PG-02 VA is simply a heck of a lot stronger as it is designed to support much heavier loads that a PCL-1 turned on it's edge is. RRS will confirm this for you.
I have (so far) not replaced the primary PCL-1 + Camera bar combination with the horizontal PG-02 arm and hope notto have to.

If you are working with tall bodied cameras like a D3 or 1D/ 1Ds  in "portrait" orientation and non-tripod collared lenses, my recommendation Sean is to get a CB-10. You'll appreciate the extra length.

K.C.

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 12:24:16 am »

Thanks for the information guys.

I've got a Foba ball head and a gitzo leveling base so I'm covered there. I'm going to start with the heavier PG-02 because I think it'll be easier and more stable.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 01:01:26 am »

I resisted trying a leveling base in place of a tripod for a long time. Now I am sorry I did. Most of my panoramic work is architecture related and I really appreciate the precision the Manfrotto leveling base affords me. The Foba ASMIA is in my opinion one ofthe two or three best tripod heads in the world for still photography - better for this purpose than any ballhead - but using leveling base alone makes the process and processing smoother. .
Pages: [1]   Go Up