Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing with Epson 3880 and Lion  (Read 7293 times)

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
Printing with Epson 3880 and Lion
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:30:20 pm »

My 3880 worked fine until I installed OS X Lion. Now I can't print or even get the 3880 to show up in the Print and Scan System Preferences. I have downloaded the Epson drivers and tried to follow Epson's directions without any luck. Looking for ideas on how to get the printer back on line.
Thanks
Bob
Bob
vaphoto

Photo Op

Re: Printing with Epson 3880 and Lion
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:54:46 pm »

Call Apple support.
David

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:09:07 pm »

Won't do much good to call apple support since Lion and the 3880 work just fine.  The issue is unique anomalies in an individual computer which usually results from OS upgrades over time with lots of extraneous and unnecessary info being left behind.  It also can be due to an install of the Apple Epson printer drivers which are designed for the mainstream apple customers but can often mess up the drivers for their high end printers (not always).  But this is extremely isolated with Lion, certainly not like the challenges with Apples modification of core printing services in Leopard and Snow Leopard. 

This has been discussed frequently ... one such discussion which may be helpful can be found here.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=56095

Bottom line is you need to clear out all remnants of current and old  Epson stuff in your system and clear out all the junk left from installing various printers.  This is  similar to what many had to go through to get their printers to work with Snow Leopard.  I wrote an article about this process some time ago, it may very well help with your situation.

Gemmtech

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:33:08 pm »

Obviously, not that I need to validate Wayne's response, but he's 100% correct, Lion and the 3880 work fine together, I know this because that's what I'm running under MAC (I also use Windows 7).  As Wayne stated clear out the old and install the new. 

Just in case

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=186644&infoType=FAQs

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?type=highlights&noteoid=187366

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »

The issue of the auto updates causing problems has been raised with both Apple and Epson, by the way, and they are actively looking to resolve it.
Phil Brown

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:29:49 pm »

Thanks for the help.
I followed the instruction Epson service provided:

1.Select the apple menu > System Preferences > Print & Scan.
2.Select your printer in the Printers list, then click - to delete the printer from the list.
3.Close the Print & Scan window.
4.Go to the Epson Support page.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=141552&prodoid=63085147&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh

Select your Driver

Printer Driver v6.60
Macintosh OS X (v10.4.11 - v10.6.x)
epson13579.dmg - 27.2MB

5.Download and run the install. Make sure the printer is plugged in, on and ready.

Note: Mac OS X 10.6 drivers are compatible with Mac OS X 10.7.

6.Select the apple menu > System Preferences > Print & Scan.
7.Click on the + sign, Find your printer in the list and highlight it. At the bottom next to print using it should say Epson SPro 3880, if it does then click on Add

Restart the computer and printer.

I also had removed all related Epson drivers from my hard drive.

The printer is now back up and working fine.

Bob
Bob
vaphoto

Photo Op

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 04:12:49 am »

Make sure you add the Common Updater also!
David

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:00:32 pm »

Seems the common updater is not often needed anymore, especially when doing a new install. Supposedly it's main purpose was when migrating from Leopard to Snow Leopard (it states it makes your currently installed driver compatible with 10.6 and it is pretty old software now). II don't use it when installing new printers for customers anymore and everything seems to work just fine.

I don't think it hurts anything to run it, but I'm not sure it is doing anything with current versions of OS X.

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:11:09 pm »

Exactly right, Wayne.  The Common Updater literally updated your driver to the latest version to make sure it was compatible.  The new drivers don't require it.

On the consumer side, the latest drivers include an app (on Mac) called Download Navigator, which will also update your driver (from the Epson servers) along with any other Epson supplied software that came with your printer.

For the Pro side, if you have version 6.60 or version 8.63/8.64 or higher (depending on model) then you will see no benefit from the Common Updater.  (8.63/8.64 is the update to 6.60 for Lion and the number depends on the model you have).  Not all Epson sites appear to have the new drivers yet, but I imagine it won't take long.  6.60 is still Lion compatible.  There's no Download Nagivator for the Pro models and there is a known issue that allowing the Apple auto-update to update a Pro driver can cause it to fail (and require you to delete, reinstall, etc as discussed in this and other threads).

I haven't seen any info as to whether the 8.63/8.64 drivers resolve this, but I know the issue is being looked at by Epson and Apple.
Phil Brown

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 11:36:00 am »

I updated the Epson 3880 print diver version 8.64 yesterday and now I seem to be having some printer issues (MacBook Pro 2.66, 8GB DDR Ram, Lion).

When trying to print via Lightroom 3 or Photoshop CS 5 with the Epson 3880 and using the print profile for Hot Press Natural I get an error.
This also happens with the other Hot Press and Cold Press settings. The printer will not even print. Just states error, however does not state what sort of error.
It does show I am connect to the printer.
Now if I use one of the other printer profiles like Velvet Fine Art Paper or Water Color and son on from Epson the printer works just fine.
It just seems to be the Hot and Cold Press profiles along with UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper that will not work.
I do have this set up where either Lightroom or Photoshop manages color.

Has anyone had this problem? If so how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

Stu

simdoc1

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:52:10 pm »

I can tell you that I had a lot of trouble with the 8.64 driver with my 4900. (see http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=58251.0) Once installed, it would not even display the hot or cold press options. This is apparently a known problem which Epson is working to resolve but they don't have an answer or a date. In the end, I had to trash my HD\Libary\Printers\Epson folder and reinstall the 4900 driver from the DVD that came with the printer. All seems to be well now but I think the 8.64 driver is suspect.

Jeff

StuartOnline

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »

I can tell you that I had a lot of trouble with the 8.64 driver with my 4900. (see http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=58251.0) Once installed, it would not even display the hot or cold press options. This is apparently a known problem which Epson is working to resolve but they don't have an answer or a date. In the end, I had to trash my HD\Libary\Printers\Epson folder and reinstall the 4900 driver from the DVD that came with the printer. All seems to be well now but I think the 8.64 driver is suspect.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I sort of figured it could be version 8.64. I did not really have any real problems until this update. I do hope Epson is working to resolve this problem and will resolve it soon. Will just have to find some sort of work around in order to use Epson Hot Press papers.

Stu

Farmer

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:52 pm »

The work around is to set the driver to Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper (for hot or cold press).

The 8.64 driver works fine, except for this media issue.
Phil Brown

StuartOnline

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 05:47:25 pm »

The work around is to set the driver to Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper (for hot or cold press).

The 8.64 driver works fine, except for this media issue.

Unfortunately I have the same problem with Ultra Smooth Fine Art paper profile setting with the epson 3880.
This is along with the Cold and Hot Press profiles with driver version 8.64.
However all other profiles work with no problems. Just the ones stated above. Go figure.

Stu

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 05:56:31 pm »

Media types set things like ink loads, platen gaps etc. They aren't related to profiles.  Many papers use the exact same setting for this.  As Phil mentioned, Ultrasmooth Fine Art this will work just fine.

Unfortunately I have the same problem with Ultra Smooth Fine Art paper profile setting with the epson 3880.
This is along with the Cold and Hot Press profiles with driver version 8.64.
However all other profiles work with no problems. Just the ones stated above. Go figure.

Stu

When you say same problem with the profile setting for Ultrasmooth, what problem are  you referring to?

I've been puzzled because it doesn't look like the profile for Exhibition Fiber was included in the new firmware release for the 4900.  I can no longer see it as a choice in lightroom although the old  profile still exists in the popup menu, and  it appears to be working correctly.  it also looks like the un-install of the prior driver did not remove the old profiles, they still seem to exist in the package.  Very puzzling ... no answer yet.

StuartOnline

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 06:26:02 pm »

Media types set things like ink loads, platen gaps etc. They aren't related to profiles.  Many papers use the exact same setting for this.  As Phil mentioned, Ultrasmooth Fine Art this will work just fine.

When you say same problem with the profile setting for Ultrasmooth, what problem are  you referring to?

Hi Wayne,

The problem is the printer will just not print. It comes up error but does not state what the error is.
This only happens with Ultrasmooth along with Hot and Cold press profiles. The printer works fine with any of the other print profiles when used.

Stu

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »

I upgraded my 2007 MacPro 8-core to Lion from SL the day it a came out. I purchased the faster MacBookAir 13" w/256GB SSD which came from the factory with Lion.

Both are printing fine to my Epson 3880. No issues at all, so far.

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

StuartOnline

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 08:07:31 pm »

I upgraded my 2007 MacPro 8-core to Lion from SL the day it a came out. I purchased the faster MacBookAir 13" w/256GB SSD which came from the factory with Lion.

Both are printing fine to my Epson 3880. No issues at all, so far.

Bud

Hi Bud,

I did not have any issues until I upgrade to the Epson print driver to version 8.64.

Stu

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »

Hi Wayne,

The problem is the printer will just not print. It comes up error but does not state what the error is.
This only happens with Ultrasmooth along with Hot and Cold press profiles. The printer works fine with any of the other print profiles when used.

Stu
As a test,  if you select a different media type other than Ultrasmooth, can you print using the hot or cold press profiles?

StuartOnline

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 08:54:14 am »

As a test,  if you select a different media type other than Ultrasmooth, can you print using the hot or cold press profiles?

Wayne,

If I choose Hot Press, Clod Press or Ultrasmooth in either the print setup in Lightroom (color management profile) or when in the Epson print modular (media type) the error happens. Meaning the printer will not print. If I choose any other print profiles the printer works with no problem. It is just those profiles where the problem occurs since upgrading to Epson print diver V8.64. I guess I will see if I can get back to print driver V6.60 where I had no problems.

Stu

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up