Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interesting publication: Lens Comparison Test-Hasselblad vs. Mamiya  (Read 41497 times)

FredBGG

Re: An interesting publication: Lens Comparison Test-Hasselblad vs. Mamiya
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2012, 05:25:58 am »

If the test was carried out fully open at infinity then it doesn't tell us much at all!

Especially as HC lenses are optimised in the nearer field - the field that is most used.

Perhaps we would see somewhat different results if it was repeated at 3-4m at f8?

A comprehensive and fair test would have done so to give us the true impression of how each lens performs at a given set of factors.

Naturally it contradicts our own findings. ;).

David

This test is full of mysteries...

I'd like to understand how the lenses could be focused at infinity and the image of the chart be projected on the wall inside a building?
I don't see how the could test the lenses at infinity.

The whole test is bogus.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:47:32 pm by FredBGG »

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2012, 01:15:33 pm »

Since you asked, in the case of Capture One:

Lens Cast Correction (Auto)
Equalized Scene Illumination (Auto & Manual)
Dust Removal (Auto)
Chromatic Aberration Correction (Auto)
Purple Fringing Correction (Auto & Manual)
Light Falloff Correction (Auto & Manual)
Sharpness Falloff Correction (Auto & Manual)
Vignetting (Manual, Positive & Negative)

Corrections can be saved as custom corrections and can be applied in a batch. Pre-set automatic corrections for many lenses from the below lens families:

Contax 645 AF Lenses
Hasselblad CF and FE Lenses
Hasselblad HC Lenses
Mamiya/Phase One D Lenses
Schneider LS Lenses

Steve

I haven't upgraded yet but do the pre-set lens corrections in Capture One Pro v7 still work by applying a preset amount of generic correction rather than something based on a profile for the specific distortion of that lens (which may be complex)?

I think I can guess the answer but I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised, being the guardian of one of the bastard offspring of the shortlived Hasselblad/PhaseOne marriage.  I have not found a way in C1 of achieving the same distortion correction from my HC35mm as I do when I shoot it with a Hasselblad camera/back and process it in Phocus and I assume that is the reason.  I guess the focus distance might matter too and I realise you don't have that.  Do the Phase One/Mamiya corrections work differently?

Regards
Tony

Nick-T

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 07:48:29 pm »

I think I can guess the answer but I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised, being the guardian of one of the bastard offspring of the shortlived Hasselblad/PhaseOne marriage.  I have not found a way in C1 of achieving the same distortion correction from my HC35mm as I do when I shoot it with a Hasselblad camera/back and process it in Phocus and I assume that is the reason.  I guess the focus distance might matter too and I realise you don't have that.  Do the Phase One/Mamiya corrections work differently?

Regards
Tony

The Hasselblad (Phocus) corrections are better than the C1 corrections.This does of course stand to reason as Hasselblad have all the computer data for their own lenses, and as you say Tony the camera/lens combo send the distance data back which I was told by the lens designer at Hasselblad does have a significant impact on corrections.

As an aside the really amazing stuff happens when you use an HTS (tilt-shift) and watch the corrections deal with the distortion as the HTS passes back the amount of tilt and shift for the corrections.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

JV

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:31 am »

The Hasselblad (Phocus) corrections are better than the C1 corrections.This does of course stand to reason as Hasselblad have all the computer data for their own lenses, and as you say Tony the camera/lens combo send the distance data back which I was told by the lens designer at Hasselblad does have a significant impact on corrections.

Additionally Hasselblad supports each and every lens out of the box.
As far as I know C1 only has lens profiles for 5 out of 12 lenses (80, 100, 120, 150 and 50-110).

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2012, 08:32:10 am »

As far as I know C1 only has lens profiles for 5 out of 12 lenses (80, 100, 120, 150 and 50-110).
And 28mm and 35mm as well ;)
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2012, 09:59:50 am »

But back to my original point, aren't the Phase One corrections just set to apply a certain value to the (generic) distortion slider?

Nick, all your talk of corrections for the HTS is making that b**tard Hasselbald/Phase offspring feel inadequate again. But seriously I do rate C1 highly (and I have used Phocus)

Regards
Tony

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:45 am »

But back to my original point, aren't the Phase One corrections just set to apply a certain value to the (generic) distortion slider?
No, for example as you know the HC 35mm has a moustache-like distortion and you cannot fix it with a pincushion slider.
Likewise for falloff as it varies depending on aperture.

If you try Capture One 7 you will see that it now has lens profiles for many DSLR and smaller format lenses including zooms and those profiles deal with distortion, falloff, CA and fringing.

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

JV

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2012, 11:23:37 am »

I forgot about the 35mm... I wasn't aware of HCD 28mm.  That is great news.  Would love to hear feedback from users on this.

Any plans to add a lens profile for the 50mm-II?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up