Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!... Geeks overrunning LuLa Forums! Call 911!  (Read 13700 times)

dmerger

Re: HELP!... Geeks overrunning LuLa Forums! Call 911!
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 01:01:26 pm »

I too thought that this forum had a lot of geeks and nerds.  (I use those terms with admiration.)  So, in the thread titled “Will Michael revisit ETTR?”, I made a feeble attempt at humor when I posted “Perhaps a better title for this thread would have been “Stalking the Reichmann Hypothesis”? :)”. 

My post was meant to be a reference to the book “Stalking the Reimann Hypothesis”, a well known (among mathematicians) mathematical conjecture. http://www.chronon.org/reviews/stalking_riemann.html

Well, my post fell on deaf ears.  Perhaps my reference was too obscure, or not humorous.  Or, maybe the participants just aren’t as geeky or nerdy as I assumed. 

More likely, I shouldn’t have made this post, but should have slunk off and hoped people would continue to ignore and forget my nerdy attempt at humor.  :-[
Dean Erger

degrub

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »

oh we noticed it.....well known to all the engineers and scientists here that use calculus...it was a dry chuckle in this corner.....unfortunately it didn't differentiate itself from all the other algebraic color  theory postings.. oh well, someday it will get there.

Frank
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:22:58 pm by degrub »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »

What about in Canada (since this is, after all, a Canadian site)? Just saying    ;)  ;)

Most (Canadian) dictionaries and style guides accept either as correct spellings. They usually advise that a publication be consistent and stick with one or the other. Unless a web site takes the time to edit every forum entry, this will never happen on forums such as this one, because it's not worth the time or the trouble. English has always had numerous acceptable spellings and usages for words and expressions.
--
Robert

RFPhotography

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 04:26:22 pm »

There are exclusively Canadian dictionaries?  And style guides?  For a country that has no style?  ???

Ray

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 07:43:32 pm »

I too thought that this forum had a lot of geeks and nerds.  (I use those terms with admiration.)  So, in the thread titled “Will Michael revisit ETTR?”, I made a feeble attempt at humor when I posted “Perhaps a better title for this thread would have been “Stalking the Reichmann Hypothesis”? :)”. 

My post was meant to be a reference to the book “Stalking the Reimann Hypothesis”, a well known (among mathematicians) mathematical conjecture. http://www.chronon.org/reviews/stalking_riemann.html

Well, my post fell on deaf ears.  Perhaps my reference was too obscure, or not humorous.  Or, maybe the participants just aren’t as geeky or nerdy as I assumed. 

More likely, I shouldn’t have made this post, but should have slunk off and hoped people would continue to ignore and forget my nerdy attempt at humor.  :-[

I noticed it, but I guess I'm not sufficiently geeky or nerdy to appreciate the reference. I hadn't heard of the Reimann Hypothesis.

However, I did think of making my own suggestion for retitling that thread, which would have been, "How to Make a Simple Matter Complicated."  ;D

Peter_DL

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 01:56:45 pm »

Yes, some discussions like e.g. in the broader context of ETTR
tend to bring out our geeky evil twin.

Something we have to go through, I guess.
Things / the air is supposed be purer and clearer after a thunderstorm
(and if it is just in the teacup of a www forum).

Peter

--
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:00:59 pm by Peter_DL »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up