Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EXIF Data and Legacy Lenses  (Read 3372 times)

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
EXIF Data and Legacy Lenses
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:42 pm »

When using legacy (film) lenses on digital cameras, lens data (such as brand and focal length) of course is not automatically registered in the camera and thus as EXIF In Lighroom.  Has any member using legacy lenses with their digital cameras evolved a useful methodology for registering/including this data in the Lightroom data base?  Or even memorializing the data when shooting for later inclusion in Lightroom.  (Short of pencil and paper?)  Probably impossible.  Any (civil) thoughts would be welcome.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: EXIF Data and Legacy Lenses
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:09:34 pm »

Either do it with Exiftool, or try my Capture Time to EXIF plug-in.

John

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 02:29:20 pm »

John

John: I'd read your contribution to an earlier thread this year in response to another member's related query concerning scanned images, and suspected that your software might be the answer.  However, I share some trepidation with the earlier thread's initiator that, even though your software apparently simplifies the use of Exiftool to a considerable extent, it still seems a bit of a task.  (As what isn't in photography!)  I was hoping for something arguably more straight-forward.  Thanks, though, for confirming to me what I suspected, that your software represents a viable solution.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:44:45 am »

John

John:  I don't whether you read further comment(s) as follow-up to a first from the same author (namely me), but I have downloaded a trial of your "Capture Time to EXIF" plug-in, and after playing around with it a bit it doesn't appear as daunting as it initially seemed.  I do wish though there were a few more instructions.

In my use of a legacy lens, the EXIF file does already extract from my digital camera most of the data I need, with the exception of the name of the lens I'm using, its model focal length AND the actual focal length used in the shot I've taken (when using a zoom lens), and the aperture setting.  (The shutter speed is already recorded by the digital camera.) 

The "argument" command-line option provided in your software would seem to permit my adding the data I'm missing, and your software nicely provides a sample command line that can be edited to include this data.  And this can even(!) be saved as a pre-set.  But it's not clear to me as to how I then proceed, i.e., how do I get this edited command line to actually insert this additional data in the EXIF file of the photo of concern.  Any additional information and guidance would be appreciated.  Thank and regards, Jim 
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:11:55 am »

That is explained in the documentation on Photographer's Toolbox, Jim. The sequence is:

1. Metadata > Save Metadata
2. Run the plugin
3. Metadata > Read Metadata

To explain, the plugin updates the file or its sidecar, but Adobe don't let a plugin update the Exif data in the catalogue. A simple Metadata > Read Metadata would mean that, unless you have auto writing of XML switched on,  there's a risk of reading in other metadata like keywords that's older than the metadata in the catalogue, and that's why you need step 1.

I did take to heart the earlier comments about the interface being "daunting" or unforgiving. When I was developing it I was reluctant to make it so simple that it'd encourage people who don't know what they're doing to muck around with Exif data. At the same time, those who do know the risks were telling me they didn't want me to shrink wrap features but wanted a bare bones approach that allowed them to enter whatever they wanted. That said, I may add some extra fields and lenses are a prime candidate.

John

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:50:25 am »

That is explained in the documentation on Photographer's Toolbox, Jim. The sequence is:

1. Metadata > Save Metadata
2. Run the plugin
3. Metadata > Read Metadata

To explain, the plugin updates the file or its sidecar, but Adobe don't let a plugin update the Exif data in the catalogue. A simple Metadata > Read Metadata would mean that, unless you have auto writing of XML switched on,  there's a risk of reading in other metadata like keywords that's older than the metadata in the catalogue, and that's why you need step 1.

I did take to heart the earlier comments about the interface being "daunting" or unforgiving. When I was developing it I was reluctant to make it so simple that it'd encourage people who don't know what they're doing to muck around with Exif data. At the same time, those who do know the risks were telling me they didn't want me to shrink wrap features but wanted a bare bones approach that allowed them to enter whatever they wanted. That said, I may add some extra fields and lenses are a prime candidate.

John

John:  At the risk of burdening this forum unduly with technical matter arguably beyond the interest of most members, let me proceed as follows.

First, I apologize for my lapse in not having gone into the Photographer's Toolbox site where useful operational instructions are contained.  I instead downloaded my trial version of your software directly from you own web site.

On the basis of the instructions contained in the PT site, I was able in fact to quite readily add data to the data already existing in my test photo's EXIF file.  However, where this did not prove entirely satisfactory to me was my attempt to add data for which there were not already "field" categories in the existing EXIF.  Namely, Lens Make and Lens Model, even though (in following your command line sample) there were "tags" of those descriptions.  So, my question now is: How do I add those "fields" to a photo's EXIF?  Does it involve creating a "tag" with those labels?

As I learn more, it does appear your software will eventually provide me the exact tool I need to edit my EXIF data for my use of legacy lenses.  Many thanks.  Jim
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 12:44:28 pm »

Jim

Look at the option to create a log file and then run that as a batch file or terminal. If all this is mumbo jumbo, I'd sincerely recommend that the plug-in isn't for you.

John

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:06:29 pm »

Jim

Look at the option to create a log file and then run that as a batch file or terminal. If all this is mumbo jumbo, I'd sincerely recommend that the plug-in isn't for you.

John

John:  Years ago I took a college-level Linux class and subsequently did some programming in Linux.  So, command line work isn't totally foreign to me.  My brain has just gotten rusty over the years.  It just possibly needs some lubrication at this time.  Kind of you, though, to suggest that your application might be beyond my means to master.  Jim 
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:17:09 pm »

Apologies, Jim. I did say "if" though. See if the command line -k option hints at the problem. Often it'll be something like the format of the data you're trying to write, or it may be necessary to establish the field name underlying what's displayed in LR.

John

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:37:10 pm »

Apologies, Jim. I did say "if" though. See if the command line -k option hints at the problem. Often it'll be something like the format of the data you're trying to write, or it may be necessary to establish the field name underlying what's displayed in LR.

John

John:  Apologies unnecessary.  I am interested in your surmising that it "may be necessary to establish the field name underlying what's displayed in LR."  Isn't that perhaps the "remedy" for the problem I've most recently posed?

And now for the really stupid question (that might cause you to tear some hair out).  How do I run a batch file in Windows?

Many thanks.  Jim   
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 04:31:54 pm »

Just to add something to the discussion. I have several lenses that do not have any information transmitted to the camera. I do pretty much the same routine with Exiftool and enter the data. But I also added a "focus confirmation chip" to the lens. You can find them easily on Evilbay and a few on Amazon. The programmable ones are the ones you want, and what I did was program them with the lens focal length and aperture, so that I could identify the lens when I download files. So I start with some of the data already loaded in the exif and that helps me identify the correct lens.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up