Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS5 blurry image preview problem  (Read 3184 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
CS5 blurry image preview problem
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:41 am »

Here is some feedback I have just posted onto amazon regarding a fundemental problem I have encountered with CS5, not bridge as I have already found out on-line that there can be a similar problem with bridge as well, but this is happening to me in CS5.

Does anyone know what is going wrong and how I can overcome this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

...there are at least two major bugs I have found in CS5, after using it for only a few days (the PC version), that I now find I have no other choice than to use a less than acceptable work around:

Major bug 1 - with the wizzy Open GL graphics mode set on by default if you have a supported graphics card – which all modern PC’s do, then you can do all sorts of wonderful things, such as flick the image on screen from side to side and up and down, or load up a virtual colour wheel, or see the image zoom in and out smoothly on screen like a Mac, or even use a zoom loupe to get straight into close up views of part of the image you wish to inspect at 100% detail, which would be great, except...

When using the highly vaunted Open GL aspect of CS5 with my brand new i7 Dell PC, with 22 inch screen, I find the full screen image review mode (Ctrl, 0) after tapping F several times to also get the black backdrop, now fills the screen with a very soft and blurry preview image. Very disconcerting, I thought my eyes were on the blink or my camera focusing was off, but I knew the image was crisp, as I’d already worked on the image before. So I experimented and found that if I zoomed in once more with Ctrl +, or zoomed out once with Ctrl -, the screen showed me a crisp image, but then it was either too big to fit on the screen or showing me a smaller image that did not use all the screen real estate. But at least I was glad it wasn't my eyes or my camera work. So it seems the default full screen setting with Ctrl 0 under Open GL, which I would want to use all the time, falls between two crisp image preview presets and instead presents you with an image that is blurred enough to make you think you have taken a really bad shot - I know the image on screen is always going to be an on-the-fly rendered and interpolated version of the actual image for viewing purposes, but even so, every other version of PS I have used over the past 14 years has worked fine in this respect and as I am using a bog standard screen at a bog standard size and resolution, then why was it doing this to me now?

What I discovered I had to do to overcome this major problem, is to turn off Open GL. Now Ctrl 0 fits the image to full screen size and displays a nice crisp image. So with one (albeit major) problem, this means that all the new and wizzy graphics animation tricks have gone straight out of the window in one fell swoop. What a basic error to make and why have they done this?

Major bug 2 - Without the Open GL aspect working which I now find I am forced to use, again when I go into full screen mode and pressing the F key until you get to full screen review mode with a black background, which again worked perfectly on every other version of PS I have used previously that did not support Open GL, now does display the image crisply, but with a light blue eye distracting border all around the edge of the screen, that you simply cannot get rid of, except of course if you turn Open GL back on again, which gets me back to the totally useless full screen blurred image mode. I suppose the blue border could be a Win 7 issue, but you would think they might have thought to test these two industry standard programs together and checked for and corrected any compatibility issues prior to release.

I have tried to get round this in other ways such as setting the display resolution in PS to the same as the image pixel resolution by measuring the screen width and dividing that measurement by the pixel display settings, or changing the way Win 7 displays screen resolution at various sizes, but nothing works – it’s either blurry full screen images with Open GL and all the razzamataz, or a crisp image with a horrible light blue border and no razzamataz without Open GL.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:42:04 am by Dave (UK) »

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
Re: CS5 blurry image preview problem
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:42:21 am »

What video  card and windows version are you using?

I was not able to duplicate your problems with my Gateway Quadcore Windows 7 64 bit system with Nvida GEFORCE 9800GT  video card with latest drivers. My full screen previews by pressing ctl 0 with Open GL active are fine. I don't see the blue line you get when Open GL is deactivated.

First step  would be to update your video card drivers. Even if they are up to date, you might try reinstalling them just in case they are corrupted.
Software is CS5 64 bit.
I tried to duplicate your problem by starting with a Canon RAW file in Bridge, converting it in ACR, and then into Photoshop; by bringing a TIF file into PhotoShop from Bridge; bringing a TIF file directly into PhotoShop without going to Bridge; and bringing a jpg file directly into PhotoShop. In all cases everything worked fine.

Les

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:55 am »

Ditto  Win7 64 bit  HP Quadcore about two years old.

Rich

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:08:56 am »

Thanks guys, yes I will update all of the drivers and try that, but as the PC is only a matter of weeks old, I assumed (wrongly probably) that everything would be right up to date.

But as I say, it is not stopping me working, just annoying to lose the OpenGL if I don't need to, or put up with the blue border if I do.

thanks again.

Dave (UK)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:58:57 am »

Not a new issue. It was already there in CS4 on my mac pro and still is present in cs5.5.

Turning off openGL increased image quality for me a lot more than my move from D3 to D3x. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up